1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommend me some walking boots

Discussion in 'threads and dreads' started by Maggot, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Maggot

Maggot MES missing message

I'm getting some new walking boots tomorrow and looking for advice. The last pair I got were Berghaus, they were great, comfortable and very durable. Was thinking about getting some more, but some people are raving about Brashers, saying they are the best.

I don't mind paying extra for some quality and durability. They also need to be waterproof and breathable (Goretex?).

2. Maurice Picarda

Maurice Picarda Actually, might as well flounce.

3. Maggot

Do they sell them in Blacks?

4. Maurice Picarda

Maurice Picarda Actually, might as well flounce.

No. Silvermans - the murderer or fantasist's military kit retailer of choice, in the heart of the East End - do them though.

5. Maggot

Ah, I'm kinda restricted to boots they sell in Blacks.

6. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

I got some Brashers at Christmas , they are so comfortable, I wear them all the time, thinking about buying another pair, so I don't wear them out.

Maggot likes this.
  7. Maggot

Cool. Do you know which ones?

8. janeb

janeb WW Tyrion do?

I have Brasher Hillmaster (for women) and I love them, although they are still quite stiff after a LOT of wear. Mr jb got Hillwalker (for men) and the leather is a lot softer - think I would rather have got those tbh. He's having to get his boots resoled but again, they've had a lot of wear and he is a lot heavier on his feet than me :)

9. DrRingDing

DrRingDing 'anti-human wanker'

Anybody tried.the boots from Vegetarian Shoe

10. marty21

BRASHER Kamati GTX

not sure if they are available at Blacks, these were bought from Amazon

11. Maggot

Blacks have Chamba GTX which look good.

I couldn't buy footwear online in case it didn't fit.

12. IMR

IMR well-meaning tosser

Unless you're going hillwalking/scrambling then maybe a good idea to avoid boots with a very stiff sole. I get by with fell-running shoes and Sealskin waterproof socks if I'm not carrying a load on my back.

13. crustychick

crustychick doo-woop-de-doo

yep, i lovelovelove them - I love all their footwear though to be honest and I own quite a few pairs of their stuff :oops: it's quality and durable and friendly :)

14. DrRingDing

DrRingDing 'anti-human wanker'

Ah cheers for the reply. I've just got myself a rather smart pair from trainers from there. I don't suppose you've tried the walking boots?

15. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

Just looked them up and they are a beautiful pair of boots Marty!!
    Could totally be a pair of walking boots or something a lot smarter.

:)

16. fen_boy

fen_boy Exits gracefully.

I've got Brasher Supalite GTX, they're ace.

17. crustychick

crustychick doo-woop-de-doo

Yep. I've got the Veggie Trekker Mk3, the Action Boot, the Airseal Engineers Boot (steel-toe) and some pretty red mary-jane style shoes :oops:

18. Maggot

I got some Brasher ones in the end, they seem very comfortable, but I can't remember which ones they are!

19. marty21

they are so comfy, I'm going to have to get another pair as I wear these ones every day!

20. Voley

Voley Pasta Of Muppets

Anyone else bought any good walking boots lately they can recommend?

My Brasher pair have finally bitten the dust. The soles are so worn down that I keep doing that annoying 'stand-on-the-side-of-your-foot-and your-leg-nearly-buckles' thing and it's only a matter of time before I turn an ankle. Had em over ten years and they've been up to Everest and shit so I can't complain but I'm looking at investing in a pair that'll last practically forever this time round. Keep hearing very good things about Meindl, a German alpine company who've been around since forever. Have my eye on these which are leather and Gore-Tex so have a lifetime guarantee of being watertight:

[​IMG]

They're 135 quid :eek: even if you get em in a sale, mind, so I think I might be calling in every Xmas and birthday prezzy for a few years to come.

I like the look of those Altbergs above that Maurice mentions above, though.

21. purenarcotic

purenarcotic Conveniently Pocket Sized

Have you been to a shop and tried them on, Voley? Possibly a daft thing to say but I think with walking boots it's really important to try them on and have a bit of a stomp around to see if they're right for your feet iyswim?

22. peterkro

peterkro Greasin' on American Express card.

I wore Brashers for years but they only lasted for a year before the upper split just above the welt.
    I then tried Meindals very disappointing the sole came away before a year and it's next to impossible to repair,
    I've now got a pair of these Haglofs,two years and they still look new,expensive though around £200.
    I wear them everyday all year round mind you:

main.png

Voley likes this.
  23. Voley

Voley Pasta Of Muppets

No, but I will, and it's not a daft thing to say - you can have a pair that seem to fit OK but if you find out they rub you to death a few miles into a walk it's bad news. By then you can't return them because (not unreasonably) they've already seen a bit of life. IME if you put them on and they're super-comfy right at the start you're OK - might need a bit of wearing in but you can usually tell. There's a Meindl stockist in Truro so if I buy them it'll be worth the trip up there to check them out. I wouldn't risk over a hundred quid on a pair of boots that aren't spot on comfy right from the off.

purenarcotic likes this.
  24. Voley

Voley Pasta Of Muppets

Thanks for that. I've only heard good things so far so it's worth knowing that it doesn't always work out as well as people say. Those Haglofs look good, but I'm giving myself a heart attack at the price of the Meindl's tbh.

25. blairsh

blairsh Frying pantheist

Had this pair of Raichle for nearly 6years, they have done a lot of miles, some harsh winters, taken me up Kililmanjaro, they're still water tight and i don't look after shit. Superb, non-leather, sub one hundred quid walking boot imo (and still cosy as fuck)
    [​IMG]

Voley likes this.
  26. Voley

Voley Pasta Of Muppets

I've got a pair of proper army surplus combat boots that are really good but getting the fucking things on and off is such a faff I hardly ever use them. God help us if there's a war etc. :D

"Yeah the leather belt looks manly
    The black boots butch
    But oh what a bastard to get off"

as Paul Weller once put it. :D

27. peterkro

I'm not trying to promote Haglofs (grym is the model) but I'm chuffed with them,light,very good lacing system (which you can do with ordinary boots but it's a faff to do it every time you put them on),they are made of something called SuperFabric which is pretty much indestructible, they also come with "Sole" heat mouldable footpads (which if bought separately cost £45) to ensure proper fit.
    I'm well pleased with my investment.
    I got them from Cotswald Outdoor and if you can borrow a discount card and Google for voucher codes you'd probably get them for under £200.I don't think the stores stock them but will order them in in a few days.
    Important to get a good fitting and try walking about a bit to make sure they are suitable of course.

http://www.haglofs.com/en-US/products/footwear/trekking/men/haglofs_grym_en-us.aspx

Voley likes this.
  28. peterkro

Fair enough they are expensive but for me I only have them and a pair of walking sandals so for me it's worth it.
    Might be worth googling a few long term reviews on the particular Meindals model you want to see if they get a thumbs up.

Voley likes this.
  29. Voley

Voley Pasta Of Muppets

"Grym" is a great name for a boot. :D I think they can justify the price for that alone tbf.

peterkro likes this.
  30. peterkro

Actual I just did a quick Google for "Meindal boots soles coming away" and they do indeed have bit of a reputation.

Voley likes this.