Recommend me some online collaberation / message board type software

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by xenon, Apr 29, 2018.

1. xenon

xenon Radical efficiencies

So, sharing files, links to files via Google Drive and Dropbox is a PITA. Do you know anything that can do the following:

*. Has a forum / message board type functionality.
    *. Allow registered users to upload and tag a restricted subset of filetypes.
    *. Nice clean layout.
    *. Is a current project, not abandonware.

I know there's things like Own Cloud / Next Cloud. But I want more of the forum thing but with ability for users to upload their own mp3s.

NO, I don't want WordPress with XYZ plugins etc.

Apart from that, any thoughts?

2. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

Self hosted or a service?

3. xenon

Self hosted would be fine, maybe preferable I can do the admin stuff on a VPS myself.

4. lazythursday

lazythursday Well-Known Member

xenon likes this.
  5. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Google alternatives to Microsoft teams. Which does what you want but is probably overkill and too expensive.

Unlikely you’re going to find a decent free solution.

6. Private Storm

Private Storm Smell The Glove

Basecamp is great, but it's $29 a month for the basic account.

7. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

8. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

Collaboration is a wider genre than forums. For example Slack is a collaboration tool but is far more like chat than forums. It's worth thinking about whether you really need that formal structure.

9. bemused

bemused Well-Known Member

Not sure if you have a budget for it. MS Teams is probably the best I've used so far - but is about $60 per user per year - and would meet most of your requirements with a business essentials package.

Given you're storing media files, maybe look at Stride. Stride | Group messaging & video meetings for teams

10. Brainaddict

Brainaddict chief propagandist (provisional)

I have used and quite like Loomio, which is pretty forum-like and very easy to use. But its speciality is offering voting for decision-making, which you may not want. You also couldn't restrict the file types to upload.

11. xenon

Thanks all. Will take a look at these. I saw briefly there's a docker container for Discourse. Will try that later. This isn't for work or anything so most of the options will be overkill but I think something could be useful for sharing music ideas, recording examples for a couple of groups I'm involved in.

12. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

We use Discourse at makerspace and I love it.

Feel free to PM me with any Q's. I know it very well now.

13. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

14. Brainaddict

Brainaddict chief propagandist (provisional)

Asana looks quite project management but for a bigger project I'm involved in it could be useful.

Unfortunately we've been using Slack, which I really dislike. Most people I've met who liked it were software developers - make of that what you will, though I think it's partly about it working better if you are on it constantly. It is much more like a chat app than a forum and has the following disadvantages (though I realise it is a personal thing): No topic titles so you can't take in what is being discussed at a glance, poor threading function - which means it is easy for conversations to get mixed up, difficult to see if a discussion is finished, easy to miss replies - and is difficult to read back through if you've been away for a bit, with poor searchability. I also don't like the way channels work as people tend to open new channels all the time and you miss them if you aren't directly invited. It's a mess, basically. Discourse looks better - I wish we were on that. Sadly it's hard to change once an organisation starts with a certain tool.