recommend me a neck chain for a charm, please

Discussion in 'threads and dreads' started by Miss-Shelf, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf I've looked at life from both sides now

I have a gold charm that I want to wear as a necklace

I would like a chain to wear it on that would
    -fall just below my collar bone
    -be delicate looking
    -strong enough to stand never being taken off for ages including hair washing etc
    -be affordable*
    -carry on looking gold rather than rub off and make my skin green

Jewellery wearers of urban - what do I need to buy?

*obviously this is a movable idea ;)

bubblesmcgrath likes this.
  2. moose

moose like some cat from Japan

Link-wise, I like a box chain for long-term wear, as it's strong but still looks delicate in finer weights, and it catches the light a bit. You'd probably need a 16 or 18 inch, depending on how slender your neck is.

Are you buying online or in an actual jewellers? If you're seeing it in person, look for one where the jump rings and clasp at the ends are soldered at all the joints, for strength. Take the pendant with you so you can see what thickness of chain does it justice.

Sorry I don't know anything about gold, so I wouldn't know what quality :D

bubblesmcgrath likes this.
  3. I love indian gold but the colour of that might be too intense against your charm... hard to say without seeing it in person.

At an Indian jewellers such as Raju Pattni (our family favourite) they will often do you a deal if you buying more than one thing. Their big bangles are amazing. When I'm rich, never, I'm going to buy myself a pair.

Agree with what moose said about taking the charm with you to see about weight, tone matching etc.

Maharani and bubblesmcgrath like this.
  4. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf I've looked at life from both sides now

Thanks moose and Thimble Queen for your ideas - I didn't think about the rings/clasp so thanks for that tip

The charm (which is Our Lady of Lourdes holy medal) is quite old and that old type of gold

bubblesmcgrath and Thimble Queen like this.
  5. moose

moose like some cat from Japan

Oh, also the other reason to buy in person and take the pendant along is to make sure the end of the chain will go through the bail on the pendant!

6. bubblesmcgrath

bubblesmcgrath Well-Known Member

This...^^

I'd take it along to a jewellers.
    I have a medal that I wear with two other mini pendants. I've them all on a good snake chain. It never comes off me... :D
    Well...except for showers. I read somewhere that snke chains don't like water.
    But I used that because it was the only chain I had. Ideally I'd love a fine chain.

7. purenarcotic

purenarcotic Conveniently Pocket Sized

Take into somewhere like H Samuel and ask them - they’ll let you try on.

8. Maharani

Maharani Just like Heaven

Have you looked on eBay? I’ve never bought jewellery there but looked. There’s some lovely antique gold. I’m fortunate to have had lots of gifts and antique indian gold handed down so I rarely buy anything else. Thimble Queen is right Indian gold is lush.

Thimble Queen and bubblesmcgrath like this.