Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

recommend me a macbook

ohmyliver

poppin' like a cork
Hi

As the title says. It's looking increasingly likely that it would be a good idea for me to get a macbook for working at home.

But, I'm all at sea with the models.

In short what I want to do is
  • run Ruby (and RVM, and Jewellery box)
  • run (and write) cucumber/calabash tests on Android and iOS devices
  • Run Android SDK, Eclipse, and possibly Android VMs (although it's so much faster to run it on physical devices)
  • Run Xcode and iOS VMs.
  • Run Charles/browsers/etc
  • Spend as little money on the bloody thing as possible.
Do I need 8gb ram for that (I'm presuming that Ruby/Cucumber/Charles would be fairly happy with 4 gb of ram, but it's the running of device VMs, Eclipse/Xcode that's concerning me)? Can I get away with 128gb of HD? Can I get away with an Air, rather than a Pro.

I don't plan on doing anything else like playing games/watching films/etc on the thing.

FridgeMagnet

Administrator
You could do all that on an Air but I would still get a Pro. Extra processor speed comes in handy when doing any serious compiling. I would also get 8 gig RAM, particularly if you plan to run multiple VMs, though 4 is still a fair amount.

The #1 thing is that you must get a solid state drive. I think all models apart from the 13" non-retina have them anyway.

beesonthewhatnow

going deaf for a living
I've got a 2012 Air, 8gig RAM and the upgrade to an i7 processor. It's never once struggled with anything, including some fairly hefty CAD work. The only time I've even heard the fan come on was a load of video transcoding.

The new Air's also get a ridiculous battery life - something like 12 hours.

ohmyliver

poppin' like a cork
Thanks for the informative responses. I'm a bit gobsmacked that Apple now prevents user hd/memory upgrades to 2013 and 2014 Pros and Airs.

I'm a QA monkey, rather than a dev, so I'm not sure how much actual compiling I'll have to do.

What about the various years models? Is it worth going for 2014 models for example? Also is Apple care worth it? I hear that there are resellers that sell it cheaper than Apple itself. Can anyone recommend one? I'm not about to take a punt on buying AC through Ebay though.

FridgeMagnet

Administrator
If you're not compiling or doing other serious grind an Air would be fine.

I don't get Applecare these days - IME things either break within the warranty or don't at all.

neonwilderness

What would Badgers do?
It's worth checking the refurbished section on the Apple website too if you want to save a few quid. I bought my MBP from there and have had no problems with it.

ohmyliver

poppin' like a cork
So, I got a Macbook. (pro, 8gb ram, 2014 model, 256gb ssd, mainly because you can't upgrade the bloody thing, so I'm going to be stuck with that for 4/5 years), from PC World because of their 100 quid off offer, so it works out as a tad more expensive than getting a reconditioned model, and I didn't want to wait for delivery.

However as my toddler has already taken a shine to it, i'm going to go down the applecare route. So if anyone has third party applecare resellers recommendations then let me know.

Also can anyone recommend any keyboard covers/soft or hardshell cases?

Oh and it would be rude of me not to thank for the help, um, so thanks.

ATOMIC SUPLEX

What is a good price for a MacBook Pro 2015 13inch?
16 gig ram and 500g space? Cycle counts under 300

I'm looking on eBay and not sure what to bid on any of them.

Is gumtree dangerous for buying these kinds of things?

Riklet

procrastinación
That's like asking "should I buy a second hand car". I mean it kind of depends.

How important is it that it's super powerful? The older Macbook Pros are still really good machines if theyre in good condition and been looked after. I wouldnt rule out ebay for a kinda refurbished by seller one, and id avoid the latest few versions of MacOS if you can.

Saul Goodman

It's all good, man
Banned
The price of them :eek: Upwards of a grand for a 5 year old laptop? A 5 year old laptop is EOL. I wouldn't give 100 quid for one.

mauvais

change has become unavoidable
I've got a mid-2014 MBP for work (it's not mine) and it still does the job - Android development - well. In fact in some respects it's better than the new ones, mostly for the fact it has actual ports instead of requiring a USB hub like it's the 90s again.

19sixtysix

Life as viewed from a Gay Gorbals Garret
My 15" mbp 2011 has just died with the usual graphics chip fault which had already been replaced under the repair programme. Apple just replace with no attempt to cure design faults. There are too many unrepairable design weaknesses in the laptops that cost quite so much. I'm heading in the mac mini route as I do like OS x and have been mac since 95.

ATOMIC SUPLEX

That's like asking "should I buy a second hand car". I mean it kind of depends.

How important is it that it's super powerful? The older Macbook Pros are still really good machines if theyre in good condition and been looked after. I wouldnt rule out ebay for a kinda refurbished by seller one, and id avoid the latest few versions of MacOS if you can.
Yes I think it is important that it is quite powerful. I want something I can do all the stuff I do on my Mac at home on the go. I use logic, after effects, premiere etc. I want 500gig just in case. I also want to easily swap my rugged thunderbolt 2 drives. The 2015 MacBook looks like the last stable MacBook with all the connections and no need for faff. At the moment I seem to be looking at about £800 for a nice one.

Riklet

procrastinación
Yes I think it is important that it is quite powerful. I want something I can do all the stuff I do on my Mac at home on the go. I use logic, after effects, premiere etc. I want 500gig just in case. I also want to easily swap my rugged thunderbolt 2 drives. The 2015 MacBook looks like the last stable MacBook with all the connections and no need for faff. At the moment I seem to be looking at about £800 for a nice one.
Good shout, Id agree with you on that. Id actually not rule out going even older but high spec, though. 2013-2014 ones could be a real good bargain just make sure it's got an ssd because they are so shit and slow with an HDD.

And def get one with a really healthy battery with loads of life in it, or which has been replaced, because changing the 2015 ones is fucking nightmareish and near impossible for the average person I'd say. You have to gently heat the case and slice it out with dental floss or similar and do it outdoors too.. it's so tricky, especially cos the battery can potentially catch fire! :D

I reckon 600 would be a more reasonable price and honestly, anyone selling a decent machine on gumtree but who needs the cash will always be open to negotiation. ebay might be best in terms of getting one that's been serviced and maybe even has a seller warranty tho. If possible find out if it was purchased from Apple and if anything was repaired/replaced by them and be careful the screen is in good condition and not peeling.

ATOMIC SUPLEX

Good shout, Id agree with you on that. Id actually not rule out going even older but high spec, though. 2013-2014 ones could be a real good bargain just make sure it's got an ssd because they are so shit and slow with an HDD.

And def get one with a really healthy battery with loads of life in it, or which has been replaced, because changing the 2015 ones is fucking nightmareish and near impossible for the average person I'd say. You have to gently heat the case and slice it out with dental floss or similar and do it outdoors too.. it's so tricky, especially cos the battery can potentially catch fire! :D

I reckon 600 would be a more reasonable price and honestly, anyone selling a decent machine on gumtree but who needs the cash will always be open to negotiation. ebay might be best in terms of getting one that's been serviced and maybe even has a seller warranty tho. If possible find out if it was purchased from Apple and if anything was repaired/replaced by them and be careful the screen is in good condition and not peeling.
I'd just really not like anything less than thunderbolt 2 for my own compatibility. Before 2015 was it not thunderbolt 1?