Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Recommend me a less well known hip-hop album

ska invita

back on the other side
Doesnt have to be too obscure, but some that you might not usually find in the top tens. Im in the mood for a bit of hiphop atm

to get things going I can recommend these favourites:
Marley Marl in Control Vol 1 -
classic 88 showcase album with rappers:
Big Daddy Kane
Biz Markie
Kool G Rap
Craig G
Heavy D & the Boyz
Masta Ace
MC Shan
Roxanne Shanté
Tragedy

Leaders of the New School - T.I.M.E. (The Inner Mind's Eye)
reviewers didnt like it but it has a faithful cult following - much better than the well received debut i think - and Busta adds the icing to the cake...1993

Lords of The Underground - Here Come the Lords
kind of similar sound to LONS I think - that classic 93 feel

Last edited:

Athos

Saw the title, and was coming on to recommend Roxane Shante's 'Bad Sister', but I see you've already got her in your list!

Chemical needs

stirring
I (ashamedly only just) discovered Mr Scruff - Vibrate, which is a most excellent hip hop track.

Have you heard Bo Marley - Masters of the Universe?

Can you tell I'm not big on hip-hop? :D

Psychonaut

i dont know whats well known.

pep love - ascension, side c
eyedea & abilities
rhyme asylum (UK) - state of lunacy (i went off them after they lost their stoupe-esque producer)

Private Storm

Smell The Glove
I couldn't get enough of Paris - "The Devil Made me do it" when I was 15. Having a good laugh at myself now, geeky white middle class banging out a "militant Black nationalist rapper" album :D

And I also don't know if it's less well known, sorry, but I've never come across anyone else who was into him. Perhaps the chess club wasn't as cool as I 1st thought.

ska invita

back on the other side
only know the title track - love my enemy and all that hoopla! - will give the album a try, good shout

Last edited:

DaveCinzano

WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!
I couldn't get enough of Paris - "The Devil Made me do it" when I was 15. Having a good laugh at myself now, geeky white middle class banging out a "militant Black nationalist rapper" album :D

And I also don't know if it's less well known, sorry, but I've never come across anyone else who was into him. Perhaps the chess club wasn't as cool as I 1st thought.
It was all about Sleeping With The Enemy for me :cool:

DotCommunist

slowtime
I don't know if it is under known but none of my fellow hip hop heads had heard before I came in, spinning the disc like a don: Nate Dogg 'Ghetto Preacher'

a true g-funk classic imo