Help Recommend me a compact?

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by nick, Apr 26, 2019.

1. nick

nick Pleomorphic Adenomas R us

Am in need of a replacement camera after my Sony Cybershot DSC RX 100 (1st generation - 2012 model) was stolen / lost on way back from holiday.

I normally used it on IA setting, with a minimal bit of tinkering for background flash / exposure adjustment - so idiot proofness would be good

Like the reviews and size of the new Rich GRX III, but it doesn't seem to have a flash

Wondering if wifi enabled would be a good idea so that I could back up photos regularly when away from laptop?. Would like a bit of zoom as well (the 4* on the Sony was adequate).
    Apart from that - image quality / ease of use / robustness and small form factor are more important to me than price. I am assuming that size considerations limit me to a compact, but happy to be corrected

In the meantime I will dig out the old Lumix LX3 that is languishing in a drawer somewhere.

Suggestions from you experts welcome

2. editor

editor hiraethified

nick likes this.
  3. nick

Ta - they seem to go up to version 6 now.
    Is there much of an improvement over the version 1 that I used to own (I see wifi and a bigger screen)?
    Is it fair to say that the newer the model the better the camera - or are there any versions to avoid?

I see that John Lewis have the V6 for 1150 - so no doubt <£1k from online only shops.

V6 or are there other alternatives for that money?

PS thanks for the quick reply

ETA - sorry for my laziness - I will read this: Sony RX100 Series Comparison (I, II, III, IV, V and VI)
    ain't google handy?

4. editor

editor hiraethified

They still sell the earlier versions. I managed to get a good s/hand deal on the v6 - that has a much larger zoom range at the expense of slower aperture but as I was off on a tour of the US I decided it was worth the investment!

There's not huge amounts of difference between the last three of four iterations - see here Sony RX100 III vs RX100 IV vs RX100 V vs RX100 VI: Specs compared

5. nick

Starting to feel love for the V6. possibly with some sort of silicone skin, if one exists, to make it easier to hold and give a minimum of protection. Thx

6. editor

editor hiraethified

It's a grand camera. Be sure to buy the rubber grip thing that Sony sells.

7. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

It's a very good camera, but at that price (even discounted) I think I'd be looking at a Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS200 or a DC-ZS100. The Sony edges it on spec, but it's almost double the price of the ZS200 and three times the ZS100.

8. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

The Canon G series are worth a look - the G7X mk ii is probably the one I'd go for. I got my sister a G9X for her birthday which she seems happy with but the 7 is better specced if slightly larger. F1.8 - 2.8 zoom, longer than the Sony.

9. editor

editor hiraethified

A LOT chunkier though, no?

10. FridgeMagnet

They're basically the same size - technically the Canon is like 2mm wider in a couple of dimensions and 20g heavier or something.

(The G9X is noticeably smaller than the Sony but in my hands it's too small tbh.)

11. editor

editor hiraethified

12. FridgeMagnet

Might depend on the version - the comparison I looked up was vs the mk v.

I'd say it was worth a look either way - I mean they are both still tiny. Canon have upped their compact range recently.

Personally I use a GX800 as a pocket camera but that ends up thicker as the lenses aren't retractable. Better image quality than either but not really in the same group.

13. wayward bob

wayward bob i ate all your bees Enforced Holiday

Screenshot 2019-04-26 at 20.05.30.png

classic deco shape, foil decoration, good name, sifter and puff. market value £30+ poorly photographed, starting at 99p worth £7.50 of anyone's money :thumbs:

Art Deco GWENDA Compact | eBay

RoyReed and FridgeMagnet like this.