1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommend me a cheap but sturdy all purpose rucksack

Discussion in 'threads and dreads' started by Orang Utan, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

That's what's happening with my Ful one but even worse:
    IMG_20170812_153135384.jpg
    Looks like I'm carrying a loudmouthed muppet on my back

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  2. Orang Utan

why can't I find any items by Wenger on their site? :confused:

3. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

4. Maharani

Maharani Just like Heaven

Sorry, I was thinking of backpacks.

5. Orang Utan

So was I! Backpack/rucksack - same thing

6. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

"Casual" as in you don't need technical or sport specific features such as ice axe loops, hydration bladder sleeves, roll top closure, UL fabrics etc etc. It doesn't need to be figure hugging for climbing, or have a "buddy pocket" accessible to your climbing window partner, or a remove back support that doubles as a bivvy pad, or to be cut so the waist belt doesn't interfere with a climbing harness, or or or...

So, to my mind, it's casual use. That's how I'm thinking of it when I'm thinking of what might be suitable for you,

I use my Montane Anaconda every day - casually - for lugging my gym stuff around and back and forth to work. It's not a casual pack though, it's really for "fast and light" summer mountain walking and is designed for that. That costs. I doubt you'd want to pay for those features if you're not not using them. Fortunately I also use it for "fast and light" mountain walking.

You'll find that a lot of packs will have these technical features, most consumers will buy over-specced for acid, and most retailers will gleefully sell them to you as well.

baldrick likes this.
  7. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

8. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

9. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

This looks pretty good, and sounds like it meets your needs

Berghaus Trailbyte 20 Rucksack from Cotswold Outdoor

10. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Go back to TK, They've got all the good outdoor brands in at the moment, I picked up a Trespass one for £20 last week.

Orang Utan likes this.
  11. Wolveryeti

Wolveryeti Young Lethargio

North Face do good backpacks. Comfortable and high quality material/stitching.

12. baldrick

baldrick ooooh timewarp

I'd have a look for commuting rucksacks on Google and see what that brings up.

Osprey do some good stuff but it will cost you. However it will last you years.

Largely it depends on what you want to spend before people can recommend anything.

I have an alpkit gourdon 25 which is very basic but a) bombproof b) cheap. I think you're looking for something with a bit more to it.

13. Chilli.s

Chilli.s Well-Known Member

We have a Berghaus, still going strong after 20 years of service. Not waterproof anymore.

14. Orang Utan

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    Hellsbells likes this.
  15. 8ball

8ball I am Spasticus

I got a ‘Highland’ one from ‘The Range’ just under a decade ago and it’s brilliant - was about £15. Been through all manner of madness and aside from the waterproofing having gone a bit iffy it’s still pretty much perfect.

Discontinued now but might be worth taking a look at whatever they’re doing these days.

Edit: oops, too late. Maybe worth a look if the Osprey doesn’t work out, I guess (though it does look good).

This seems to be their current equivalent offering - don't know if it's as good as mine:

Highland 33L Laptop Backpack - blue

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  16. Hellsbells

Hellsbells World's best procrastinator

I love Osprey rucksacks, they're so comfy

Orang Utan likes this.