Recommend me a cheap but sturdy all purpose rucksack

Discussion in 'threads and dreads' started by Orang Utan, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

I had a really nice one that I got from TK Maxx for about £20, but the stitching was shit and it started coming apart after a couple of months.
    It needs to be sturdy enough to carry a heavy chain (and sometimes a D-lock) for my bike and roomy enough for these as well as some groceries/shopping/packed lunch/bottle of water, but not the size of a travel rucksack. Ideally, it should have two large compartments with separate zips, as well as pocket for documents and other fragile things.

Any pointers?

2. Maharani

Maharani Just like Heaven

Karrimor stuff is great.

telbert and Orang Utan like this.
  3. 2hats

2hats

Ex German military knapsack (army surplus or ebay, etc)? Very durable and quite handy. Though might be a little on the small side though judging from your shopping list (only has one large ‘compartment’). I use one for weekends away.
    [​IMG]

Maharani and Orang Utan like this.
  4. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Berghaus 25l very good, not so many pockets - one main, couple side bottle pockets, little wallet pocket within main and divide for computer - thought would dislike but won me round, think was about £20 off amazon. Afaics is waterproof, certainly never had a problem with rain. Had it about eight months, very happy

Orang Utan likes this.
  5. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

Orang Utan likes this.
  6. Orang Utan

This is the one I had that would have been perfect if it hadn't come apart at the seams:
    1xl.jpg
    As you can see it has two large and totally separate compartments, as well as a smaller one at the front, and bottle nets on either side. I notice that it's being sold as a laptop bag, so will have a look at those

7. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Oh - let me better recommend a speedo rucksack, utterly waterproof, seems to meet your requirements, couple of fluorescent strips so drivers ought to see you. Got one for partner, she very happy with it, think you would be too.

Orang Utan likes this.
  8. Orang Utan

that looks good, but would have to save for it. probs worth it though

9. iona

iona makes George Orwell look like a dalek

It can be pretty shit ime. Iirc it was bought by Sports Direct.

10. Orang Utan

The Karrimor ones all look like they have one compartment and look a bit flimsy and not for heavy constant use

11. Maharani

Ok. Statement retracted. They used to be ok.

12. felixthecat

felixthecat are we there yet?

I've got a Samurai backpack which has travelled all over the place. It's carried shopping, swimming gear, medical kit, been chucked around in mucky changing rooms, kicked around grubby bus floors and is still going strong and looks fine. It has 2 big pockets and a smaller front one, mesh side pockets.
    It's sort of like this ...
    Backpack_blk.jpg

Hellsbells, Biddlybee and Orang Utan like this.
  13. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

Mine was bought in TK Maxx apparently. Their website shows a couple of Wenger bags cheaper than the ones on Amazon.

Orang Utan likes this.
  14. Maharani

Sorry, I was thinking of backpacks.

15. Orang Utan

I'm not sure what the difference is??

16. 2hats

2hats

Used to be great. Gone to the wall since they've been predated by Sports Direct (as others have mentioned).

17. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Karrimor is shite.

Get yourself to Decathlon if there's one near you. They have a decent range at decent prices for general use.

UnderAnOpenSky, paolo and Orang Utan like this.
  18. Orang Utan

just had a look and there are no branches in my city :(

19. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Oh :( shame. Here's their online link

Rucksacks | Decathlon

Orang Utan likes this.
  20. Orang Utan

those are all travel rucksacks unfortunately

21. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

22. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

What do you mean by "travel rucksack"?

23. Orang Utan

massive 70 litre ones that take up your entire back. i just want one for shopping/cycling/daytrips/carrying about daily

24. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Ah ok. Some between 12l and 30l should do you then?

Try these...

Backpacks | Decathlon

25. Private Storm

Private Storm Smell The Glove

I've tried a good few rucksacks for my cycle into work and almost all have failed in some way much sooner than I was happy with. 9-12 months was the usual lifespan I reckon. Have never managed to find a reasonably priced waterproof rucksack that had the space and comparments I was looking for. I had high hopes for this Proviz one but the zips gave out after about a year: Proviz Nightrider Rucksack - 30L (Black): Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

This one was so cheap that I thought it would be pretty crap, but I could just buy another when it died without too much consternation....but it's turned out to be one of the best bags I've had. Really roomy, two compartments, side webbing things for water etc. Really recommend it: http://amzn.eu/58um95l

Orang Utan likes this.
  26. Orang Utan

i'm preferring the sturdier looking ones posted upthread I have to say.
    Remember the OP - two large compartments.
    The decathlon ones look like they're more for camping rather than urban use

27. Orang Utan

I've had similar experiences.
    That Docooler one looks good, and cheap too.

28. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Decathlon will have something in their range that caters for every use (pretty much). It's not too end technical gear (I wouldn't use it for serious outings) but you'll struggle to get a better quality to price ratio for casual use.

But if you've not got a store to have a look and feel, it's difficult for you to pick one of theirs tbf.

paolo likes this.
  29. Orang Utan

I'll be using it every day, so it's not for casual use

30. hippogriff

hippogriff Imposter

I've had a Wenger for a couple of years and it's already falling apart

IMG_20170812_151943.jpg

Shortly to be replaced with one of these currently on sale from Wiggle