Reclaim The Streets in London, Sat 23rd June?

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by editor, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Sea Star

Sea Star i touch cats

yeah - I guess. I always tried to look on the positive side though.

2. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Confrontation was inherent in the model though, the physical seizure of space. That RTS is not remembered for violence but for everything else instead is quite a testament.

Yossarian, Fozzie Bear and Sea Star like this.
  3. Mrs D

Mrs D . Banned

Reclaim the streets from who? The public using the streets? Genius idea.

4. TruXta

TruXta tired

5. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

With this, the TR demo and the big anti-Brexit one, central London is going to be a bit weird on the 23rd.

8ball, yield, HoratioCuthbert and 2 others like this.
  6. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

Went to Liverpool Street, did that thing. Got on a tube and ran up the motorway, remember lawrie immersion or whoever it was playing London acid City as the curtain sides of the lorry opened and stuff got fuzzed over the side of the motorway from all angles

And little else after

7. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

Their was definitely a semblance of dibble on the motorway but they were fully steamed iirc

Pickman's model likes this.
  8. Red Sky

Red Sky It was like that when I got here.

Under the cobblestones is the beach , KLF in an armoured car, jumpers for goalposts. ...

9. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

Just booked an apartment in London for the Saturday night. Should be fun getting involved :)

toblerone3 and HoratioCuthbert like this.
  10. HoratioCuthbert

HoratioCuthbert 32 degrees

I look south with a sense of loss, yet again stuck in the land where nothing ever happens......

But we still have a real sense of community here! I MEAN IT’S BORING, BUT.... :)

campanula likes this.
  11. yield

yield zero

I'll be there in Kensington.

12. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

I think all three events will probably go off in their own spaces without interacting. Pick your crowd and stick to it. I'm a little torn between the Reclaim the Streets thing and Anti Brexit one.

13. sunnysidedown

sunnysidedown Well-Known Member

first world problems

LynnDoyleCooper likes this.
  14. RD2003

RD2003 Well-Known Member

Why are people trying to recreate something that (inevitably) failed absolutely in the 1990s?

billbond and treelover like this.
  15. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Re failing
    It succeeded in being a good laugh on the day but the real legacy is that it brought a lot of people into activist politics... Different generations have their moment it seems... The student fee demos of 2010 brought in a whole bunch for example. RTS did it for me... Went for the party, stayed for the politics. I'm not the only one im sure

The whole TAZ thing is massively limited but always welcome in my book

16. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

I don't think it failed. All that black, red, orange, yellow and beige on this map of London represents success. [​IMG]

17. LynnDoyleCooper

LynnDoyleCooper Up against the wall motherfucker.

I kind of take the point about it being very different to the '90s and so partly a strange thing to try and do in another context and time, but why so you think RTS things 'failed absolutely' in the '90s?

18. LynnDoyleCooper

Hmmmm. Wasn't really about car ownership though was it?

Anti-road building (no more capitalist infrastructure) > anti-car driven enclosure of public space > control of the streets > internationalism > ecology, anti-capitalist, and class struggle/Liverpool Dockers > anti-State/anti-election stuff > wider anti-capitalist struggle/J18.

I think after that it lost the direction and impetus with the Mayday stuff, and then there was a decline generally for a number of reasons - policing being a major one.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  19. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

We are the public.

20. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

RTS was very observably not a failure.

We took the space, held it and a a big fuck off party and they couldn't stop us.

21. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

The “TR” one seems to be actually a pro Brexit one started to oppose the anti Brexit, so they will definitely be wanting to get up in the anti Brexit march’s shit, and the police will be trying to keep them apart - which may leave things open a bit for RTS.

22. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

Any idea on the location for rts? I'm planning on doing the brexit march but I'm a sucker for a good soundsystem :)

(Obviously I'm a cop who has been embedded on u75 for 15 years waiting for this moment!)

23. TopCat

TopCat Gone away, no forwarding address

J18 was fab. Pity RTS lost their bottle as a result.

24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I don't think it failed at all.

25. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

not to mention their soundsystem

LynnDoyleCooper likes this.
  26. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

not surprised that arse treelover liked your post, but would be interest to know on what metrics you base your comment

27. LynnDoyleCooper

Errr... how did RTS 'lose their bottle' after J18?

It lost the political and practical direction a bit for sure, and then together with very heavy policing of the group (outside the events themselves), personal stress and burn-out for some people, the problems with the dynamic between the open RTS group and a smaller group of friends within it that largely made all the strategic decisions, the autonomy and time that the dole gave became much harder to get, and then the fact the group became really popular in London and was being pulled in all sorts of directions were more the issues.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  28. TopCat

The invisible leadership were appalled at what had happened at J18 and frightened at what they had created and failed to control.
    They then gave up, disbanded.

29. TopCat

Further, the leadership group found out for themselves at J18 that they were militant liberals not anarchists. Dissenters at best but never revolutionaries.

30. kenny g

kenny g Totally Aware.

Let us not forget that horrific trot look alike bastard child thing that came about in the early noughties whose name escapes me - plus the state amped the paranoia up to the max - kettling from 2000 didn't help - especially as the SWP led people into an Oxford Circus kettle early in the day.