1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recent Dub Recommendations, Please?

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Voley, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Enviro

Enviro Make your assessment

Mmkay. But yeah, I'd definitely recommend that Dubkasm album. Black Uhuru - The Dub Factor is my favourite dub album and I could hear it influencing the sound :)

2. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

BCBlues likes this.
  3. cozmikbrew

cozmikbrew Bass case

6 years old now,so not exactly new but this tracks a killer,French crew Kanka

4. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

this is French too, the dub is killer but not on youtube:

cozmikbrew and ringo like this.
  5. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

I missed the thread completely the last time round :( :eek:

So I've got double the amount to catch up with :) :cool:

For once I'm fine with a necro-bump :D

Voley likes this.
  6. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

psyched that i got a like off ringo on a reggae thread!!

7. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

Good call on that tune, I don't know anyone else who plays it but I think it's a bit of a classic :)

rutabowa likes this.
  8. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

I think that is a slightly different version to on the 12" right? maybe it's an album version

9. ringo

Sounds like the same vocal cut as the 12" to me, just missing the version.

10. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

I think the intro is longer. maybe not though, i don't have it here to compare

11. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

they still pumping them out. previously un-released, now out on alpha steppas label:

BCBlues and ska invita like this.
  12. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

from the same camp, feat lee perry:

BCBlues and ska invita like this.
  13. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

Some of the killawatt & ipman releases were big tunes, although you can tell by the sound they started off as dubstep producers really

I reckon the bass on this one could probably push you over on a big enough system :D

I've got both of these on digital (my housemate knows the producer pretty well), but I am tempted to go back and buy them on wax.

BCBlues and rutabowa like this.
  14. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

oofff i reckon that first one would be more likely to knock you over when the bass comes in

15. sim667

I dont know..... are you listening with a sub. Runaway really kicks in with the sub just before 2 mins, and we've played it on our rig in a smallish venue at full whack.... Proper bone rattler.

16. ringo

I can't see why they put those Dennis Brown, Damian Marley etc samples at the start of the first one, they don't fit or add anything imo. Their tune is alright, different style. Not enough melody for me but I can see it working with an audience who have been into dubstep etc.

The 2nd one's much better, Eek-A-Mouse sample taken into the tune and given a decent update, like that.

17. sim667

I prefer the second too.....

I think those samples are copied off a dubstep track that uses them iirc, like a nod to.

18. ringo

littleseb likes this.
  19. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

also theres some excitement about the new Sly and Robbie album Dub Rising, mainly as its mixed by Paul 'Groucho' Smykle, who created a generation of fans for the amazing mix he did on Black Uhuru's Dub Factor <one of the records that turned me on to dub in a big way - and he hasnt done all that much since...
    This is from Dub Factor:

Ive only heard the sound clips on headphones but im disappointed...though Dub Factor to me was a masterpiece, one of the most incredible, technical bits of dub mixing of all time, if not in the top spot. I dont know how Dub Factor was mixed but I dont think it was a one pass on the fly afair - feels like a complex orchestrated multi-tracked thing to me...however it was done the result is spectacular. This new thing feels a little bit by the numbers by comparison

Check for yourself
    http://www.pressure.co.uk/store/TB1-101/sly-and-robbie-dubrising/

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
    littleseb and Enviro like this.
  20. ska invita

they still are ;)

21. ringo

I've just realised that I might not have this LP. I've seen it in the racks loads of times, not checked the vintage or engineer, and thought I'd finished my Uhuru LP collection. I need to get home and check now!

I'm still undecided on whether to get the new LP.

22. ska invita

If you don't you are in for a real treat Ringo - i really mean it when i say its a masterpiece - i think there was a 180gm reissue not that long back too (maybe - might have dreamed that)
    Its the dub of Uhuru's Chill Out record

Im going to pass on the Sly And Robbie...their solo stuff has always been a bit flat for me....one of the reasons Dub Factor is so great is its amazing source material

23. Enviro

Enviro Make your assessment

:confused: :eek: Whaaaa ?!?! As Ska says, if you haven't got it, when you do get it, you are in for a treat!!! :D

24. ska invita

Theres nothing better than having missed a classic record from years gone by and getting to enjoy it as brand new today... i love that feeling.

*should stop hyping it up though as that spoils it.... so yeah its alright....quite good...

25. ringo

You think I'm gonna buy a fackin repress? :D

Enviro likes this.
  26. ska invita

Ive got a scratched and played to death original pressing vg+ if you're interested ;)

Enviro and ringo like this.
  27. sim667

ringo likes this.
  28. ringo

If I can find the CD I'll do you a copy

29. sim667

Ive got the CD

I want vinyl :D

30. ringo

Good luck, been looking for that for a decent price for 10 years. It was only about a year old when I started looking :)

sim667 likes this.