1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recent Dub Recommendations, Please?

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Voley, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Voley

Voley If you're happy and you know it, fuck off.

[​IMG]

I got this comp recently; a really good mix of older and newer dub / dub-influenced stuff and it made me realise I've not listened to much recent stuff. I tend to stick with the King Tubby, Lee Scratch Perry, Augustus Pablo end of things.

So anyone recommend some more recent dub stuff you think I might like?

Ta. :)

2. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

There was a King Tubby-Scientist album released last year (obviously posthumous in Tubby's case) which I've heard good things about and plan to get at some point. "In A Revival Dub" I think it's called. Must be mostly "lost" stuff, given that Tubby was killed over 20 years ago.

3. Voley

That sounds good Stavros. Will have a look, ta. :)

4. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

Looks like this;

[​IMG]

5. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Best dub album of the 90s is the Xterminator label's "MLK Dub".

6. Ground Elder

Ground Elder Well-Known Member

Lots of dub new and old at Baroquedub I've listened to about half of these and they've all been superb :)

cozmikbrew likes this.
  7. Bajie

Bajie Registered User

You would like Radikal Guru for very recent Dub, but in terms of new sounds I cant think of much apart from the people who have been around since the 90's like Vibronics, Iraration Steppers, Aba Shanti, Disciples etc though I may well be out of touch..

8. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

it isn't that recent (but then again, neither is much on that comp...) but i enjoyed lightning head - studio don from 2002. more dub infusions from the same year was also a rather nice comp (and in fact has two of the same tracks as the one you linked to at the start of the thread...

if you enjoyed the rhythm & sound track, the 'with the artists' (and the versions album) is worth getting, as is the 'see me yah' album from a few years back.

i'm hopelessly out of date though - i don't seem to have anything more recent than 2004 or so...

9. Fozzie Bear

I would recommend some of the Twilight Circus productions, especially:

Michael Rose - Warrior Dub (more on the ambient side)
    The Dub Project volume 2 (more on the abstract experimental side)

The best dub album out of JA in the 90s was the Xterminator label's "MLK Dub"

I would also heartily endorse both of the Macro Dub Infection compilations which were put together by Kevin Martin (The Bug) and the Crooklyn Dub Consortium comps on the Wordsound label. They are more cross-genre (i.e. not necessarily reggae) but all dubby...

10. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

listening to some xterminator sevens last night (as you do on a sunday night in spring :) ) - phillip burrell productions really are some of the most beautifully rounded sonicly satisfying reggae records ever made IMO. often nice horn parts too.

This one smashed my living room yesterday! not sure what the quality is like on the tubelink, but still

the bassline on the instrumental on the flip is all the musical ingredient i need to be happy!

Thanks for the heads up on MLK Dub - Theres another xterminator dub cd out there I think - its in lewisham library if you're passing!

11. cozmikbrew

cozmikbrew Bass case

Some corkers there man:cool: cheers

12. Voley

Thanks. Plenty to go at there, folks. Cheers. :)

13. BettyBlue

BettyBlue Killa Rockin Bird

:cool:

14. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

agreed.

they are 15 years old now though... :eek:

15. Voley

This is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for, thanks. :cool:

16. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

If anyone can recommend me some booming booming dub that isn't Zion train, the powersteppers, the iration steppas or dubdadda, but kind of has the boomy boomy sound I'd be very appreciative

I'm trying to put a mix together you see.

17. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

If you want the really hard dub style of Iration Steppas et al you can't go wrong with some TNT Roots productions, but they're very hard & expensive to find. Dub to invade small countries to.

Also try Conscious Sounds, Bush Chemists, any Disciples productions, Manasseh's self-produced stuff, King Earthquake, Jonah Dan's Inner Sanctuary for high production values and well crafted dub.

Get over to Jah Warriors site, subscribe to his weekly email of new stuff, and listen to the sound samples of every tune. Loads out there, have fun.

http://reggaemusicstore.com/Default.asp?cookiecheck=yes&

18. sim667

brilliant thanks ringo......... ill delve into all of that.

19. Fozzie Bear

More generally McPullish's dub stuff is well worth a look. Harvest Dub is a great album.

20. Diddly Squat

Diddly Squat Well-Known Member

The Aggrovators - Kaya Dub is good. Haven't heard anything else they've done

21. ringo

Great LP, but not exactly recent! 35 years old :)

22. sim667

http://soundcloud.com/sim667/15-min-xmas-dub-mix

knocked together a little 15 min dub mix....... I do intend on doing a longer one, just getting more tunes together first....

Btw, not on vinyl, im a total cheater and dont know how to beatmatch :(

23. ringo

imo beat-matching reggae and dub ruins it and should be punished without mercy. Juggling cuts of the same rhythm is OK, but mixing in general results in a muddy, horrible noise. But then I'm a bit of a purist.

Fozzie Bear likes this.
  24. sim667

I much prefer it mixed, but mainly cus i like it as background music, when it stops I notice and then get distracted......

I do love it unmixed live though, there's nothing better than a beardy old jamaican dude with one record deck on a stage not giving a fuck there's no music for 20 seconds between tracks :D

25. ringo

I don't mind fading between tunes, but mixing is a no no. Funny how lots of people don't understand the one deck tradition in reggae, I love the anticipation. Couple of years ago I was playing somewhere and left a gap because it suited nd had some lad shouting 'mind the gap' at me, very pleased with himself.

26. sim667

I'd get bored if it was just pressing stop and play all night though, also if i played out ever a local pub or a party, everyone would be thinking wtf? as none of them really listen to dub (although none of them dislike it as such), but they certainly dont really know the traditions etc...

My only mates who really know dub live down in brighton, one of them's involved with unity hi-fi (i think) down there......... Those are the only dub nights I've been to tbf.

27. ringo

Yep, it's best not to attempt to educate people, but if you have the right vibe and the aid of an effects unit/echo box it can work.
    Think I've met a few from Unity HiFi years ago, good stuff.

28. sim667

Ah no echo/effects box for me..... I remember one night they kept playing the little tune from close encounters of a third kind between every tune :D

Yeah it is unity hifi, its only my mate I know well though......... there's an old dude that plays with them called king spinner (i think), that dudes a legend!

I should really go to some decent dub nights in london tbh......

29. ringo

Yep, I know King Spinner, I played some tunes in the Concorde 2 with him a couple of years ago when I was visiting mates from Positive Sound System.

30. sim667

last time I spoke to him he informed me he'd be playing jungle like I couldnt believe.

Its all about the socks and sandals :D