Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Reading - things to do, food, drink, gigs and chat

doddles

Appreciates the good eggs
IME a decent pint has been hard to get in Reading. Fizzy lager or flat, warm bitter.
The Alehouse is the new name for the Hobgoblin but is otherwise pretty much the same.
Other great pubs for real ale: The Allied Arms, The Retreat, The Nags Head, The Hop Leaf.

The Moderation, The Lyndhurst and the Abbott Cook all serve a good range of proper beer.

Getting a good pint in Reading is not a problem at all. And in May every year you have the Reading Ale and Cider festival, which is brilliant.

doddles

Appreciates the good eggs
I live in Caversham, which has a sort of villagey feel and is on the northern bank of the Thames across from Reading. Nice area and convenient for the railway station. Not as multicultural as, say, Newtown or Oxford Road area though. Up the hill in Upper Caversham is the richest part of Reading, but not down here on the Thames flood plain.

Nice things about Reading: it's a stone's throw from beautiful rolling hills of West Berks and the Chilterns. The parks along the Thames. Workhouse Coffee shop, Pau Brazil Portugese/Brazilian cafe. And it's not Slough.

frogwoman

лягушкая женщина
I happened to like the Oracle. Architecturally speaking, of course. Interesting concept, that shopping centre. I liked how it was so open, and you have the bridge and River in the middle of the complex. I'd not seen a place like this before.

That's something I noticed, when walking around... it's a decent multicultural city. Although I'm used to seeing alot of different people roaming about, I was glad to see that people were semi respected in the area I was in - no gun fire, no fighting (what I'm used to hearing at night). The area I visited was quiet, for the time I was there (May)
:cool:

I live in Caversham, which has a sort of villagey feel and is on the northern bank of the Thames across from Reading. Nice area and convenient for the railway station. Not as multicultural as, say, Newtown or Oxford Road area though. Up the hill in Upper Caversham is the richest part of Reading, but not down here on the Thames flood plain.

Nice things about Reading: it's a stone's throw from beautiful rolling hills of West Berks and the Chilterns. The parks along the Thames. Workhouse Coffee shop, Pau Brazil Portugese/Brazilian cafe. And it's not Slough.
I live in Caversham too. There is some lovely countryside nearby, good for nice long bike rides. There are some nice little towns and villages too like Henley, Dorchester, Goring. If you like country pubs there are hundreds nearby and when the sun is shining, you can't beat a few pints in an idyllic beer garden.

Central Reading itself is definitely a bit cloney, but you can find good times if you want. The Iguana Bar, Purple Turtle, Global Cafe are all good little places. And you've also got 21 South Street that does good comedy nights and gigs. And it's near the Turks which is another good pub.

It's the sort of place that if you want to make the effort, you can find pretty much everything you need.

We could always have a little Reading meet up to welcome you to the area, if you like? :cool:

Jon-of-arc

Ransom'd, Stoopid & Roofless
R.I.P.
I live in Caversham too. There is some lovely countryside nearby, good for nice long bike rides. There are some nice little towns and villages too like Henley, Dorchester, Goring. If you like country pubs there are hundreds nearby and when the sun is shining, you can't beat a few pints in an idyllic beer garden.

Central Reading itself is definitely a bit cloney, but you can find good times if you want. The Iguana Bar, Purple Turtle, Global Cafe are all good little places. And you've also got 21 South Street that does good comedy nights and gigs. And it's near the Turks which is another good pub.

It's the sort of place that if you want to make the effort, you can find pretty much everything you need.

We could always have a little Reading meet up to welcome you to the area, if you like? :cool:
id be down for this, but NOT at the turks. I hate that place.

chilango

Der Teufel scheißt immer auf den größten Haufen
Been here a couple months now. It's okay. RISCs Ethiopian food, the Workhouse Cafe and walking along the Thames to Sonning are keeping me going.

It's gonna be a long stretch though....

chilango

Grrrr.

Not settling here at all.

I mean it's still "convenient".

...and yes, walking along the Thames to Sonning is quite nice.

But the thought of living here for another year, more likely indefinitely, fills me with, well, resignation frankly.

It's not that Reading's a "bad" place. I just feel so "alien" here.

:(

I'm trying Reading folk, I really am.

chilango

I kinda know the feeling. I've only been here (well, just outside Reading) for 10 years...

I reckon "just outside" would be even worse. Unless I was a millionaire living the quiet life in Bucklebury or something...

Balbi

Hey, Dean Yager!
I always like to lie on the sofa, at the end with the window so I get natural light - very comfortable :)

Jon-of-arc

R.I.P.
If anyone's up for a reading meet, still, then I'm game. Show chilangro some proper Reading hospitality and that. Plus I'm interested to know if I actually know any Reading urbs IRL, already. From politics and that. Did any of you come to the thatchers dead drinks at Great Expectations?

joevsimp

Grrrr.

Not settling here at all.

I mean it's still "convenient".

...and yes, walking along the Thames to Sonning is quite nice.

But the thought of living here for another year, more likely indefinitely, fills me with, well, resignation frankly.

It's not that Reading's a "bad" place. I just feel so "alien" here.

I'm trying Reading folk, I really am.
I know what you mean about it feeling alien, I went to Sweeny's a few months ago, I was told that potatoes come as either new or jacket! No mash? didn't even bother asking about Green Liquor

chilango

If anyone's up for a reading meet, still, then I'm game. Show chilangro some proper Reading hospitality and that. Plus I'm interested to know if I actually know any Reading urbs IRL, already. From politics and that. Did any of you come to the thatchers dead drinks at Great Expectations?
What Thatcher's dead drinks?

...and what politics?

chilango

The ones the night she died. Lots of people from Readings left there. And a couple of lost lib dems, as well.

And people from all sorts of other groups. Iww. Reading green peace. Swappies.
That's how out of the loop I am.

IWW still going down here?

Jon-of-arc

R.I.P.
That's how out of the loop I am.

IWW still going down here?
Yeah. Not sure how well, keep meaning to sign back up (let my mbership lapse when I wasn't working...), but they have meetings and regular members. Can put you in touch if you ever want to get involved locally. A couple of them came to watch me in my play that I was in the other night, so I guess I know them pretty well.

chilango

Yeah. Not sure how well, keep meaning to sign back up (let my mbership lapse when I wasn't working...), but they have meetings and regular members. Can put you in touch if you ever want to get involved locally. A couple of them came to watch me in my play that I was in the other night, so I guess I know them pretty well.
Cool.

Haven't time or energy to do very much at the mo' mind. But it's good to know they're around.

yes - can do, as and when we summon up the energy.

sundays aren't good for me, that's the only day of the week i'm working regular these days (and no i'm not a clergy-person!)

Jon-of-arc

R.I.P.
Cool.

Haven't time or energy to do very much at the mo' mind. But it's good to know they're around.
Don't blame you, I'm much the same. Started going to SP meetings (they seem mostly based in bracknell but do have a Reading contingent...), but gave up with them. Partly due to living arrangements (I'm near pangbourne and don't drive - even with a lift back to Reading town getting home is a nightmare from bra knell...), partly due to lack of interest in what they were up to (not much, apart from talking to one another and selling a few papers) and partly due to lack of energy. Shame, as I like the people and their politics seem pretty sound to me. They didn't seem to like it much when I said I was gonna "dual card" with the wobs, mind...