Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Reading - things to do, food, drink, gigs and chat

Jon-of-arc

Ransom'd, Stoopid & Roofless
R.I.P.
I did the Forbury/Mandela thing too. And the Purple Turtle (when it was in its ORIGINAL venue), and the After Dark, and bunking into the festival. I even wrote for Blah Blah Blah. Then I moved away, and they built The Oracle, and now, well, it's a bit a shit. I'll be back in the 'Ding this weekend coming as it happens.
Readings no shitter than it was, ohh, that musta been about 15+ years ago, if we're talking Original turtle (before my time, just - my older sisters both went, but I was too young...). you're just missing all the interesting bits coz you aint in the loop no more.

You worked in Raw? Did you know any of the other shop workers in smelly alley? Ruth from the piercing place above strawberry fields? Long shot, but never hurts to ask...

Jon-of-arc

R.I.P.
I guess I would have started hanging out in Reading on my own in about 1991...moved there in '95.

We went to both Turtles.
I remember going to the newer one in, musta been 96-97. The older one was defo shut by then. The new ones bigger, anyways. And has a beer garden. I fucking hate it on Friday/saturday nights though - no seats, no room to move without knocking into some pissed up wide-boy, who'll shout in your face before deciding whether he wants to fight you or hug you, no where to take a cheeky one without being seen (the one male cubicle with no lock, permanently covered from floor to ceiling in piss is not appropriate for line chopping...) Bouncers who get off on ID'ing you, no matter how old you look, and expensive drinks that take about an hour to get served...

When its Thursday night busy, though, I really like the Turtle. Guess I must be getting old...

The Groke

hot hail/Paging Dr. Beat
no seats, no room to move without knocking into some pissed up wide-boy, who'll shout in your face before deciding whether he wants to fight you or hug you, no where to take a cheeky one without being seen (the one male cubicle with no lock, permanently covered from floor to ceiling in piss is not appropriate for line chopping...) Bouncers who get off on ID'ing you, no matter how old you look, and expensive drinks that take about an hour to get served...
Sounds awful!

Ok - it was always crowded as fuck, but when we went it was pretty much exclusively the preserve of the "alternative" crowd with nary a wide-boy to be seen and the juke box reflected that.

Don't recall there being bouncers at all either!

Jon-of-arc

R.I.P.
I've been there about 4 times and I fucking hated it too.

Faceless dump
How on earth can you judge a place based upon 4 visits where you probably saw next to nothing of my glorious home town? Yes, we have suberbs that look the same as every where else, and a high street that is the epitome of UK retail commerce blandness. But we also have the following...

i used to buy mushroom grow kits from the head shop in smelly alley, then grow them in halls at uni. also, i never made it to mandela's... we always used to get the designated driver to pop down and pick up.

Jon-of-arc

R.I.P.
Sounds awful!

Ok - it was always crowded as fuck, but when we went it was pretty much exclusively the preserve of the "alternative" crowd with nary a wide-boy to be seen and the juke box reflected that.

Don't recall there being bouncers at all either!
Its just a place where you end up when you're on a mad one, these days. Maybe the ultra smart & well dressed avoid it, but anyone who doesnt give a fuck will end up there on occasion. To be honest I prefer that to the inverted snobbery of some "alternative" crowds... They have d n b and hip hop nights there nowadays, as well as karaeoke and live bands....

Jon-of-arc

R.I.P.
You'd probably like the iguana, Groke. A bit dancey, but also a more laid back version of the turtle.

There can also be a good underground scene, if you know the right people. TPK (those pesky kids, or true party kings, or some other name as well) put on some good squat parties. Anarchist and other lefty political groups. Something for everyone...

fractionMan

Custom Title
How on earth can you judge a place based upon 4 visits where you probably saw next to nothing of my glorious home town? Yes, we have suberbs that look the same as every where else, and a high street that is the epitome of UK retail commerce blandness. But we also have the following...

I rest my case :D

Jon-of-arc

R.I.P.
I rest my case :D
whats wrong with coley flats? a master piece of satirical 60s British architecture - encompassing all the tell tale signs, whilst maintaining a sense of irony, juxstaposing their twin peaks of gloom with the colourful history of the mansion, the holy brook and coley park farms.

And the first two pics are actually of nice bits!

Jon-of-arc

R.I.P.
No wonder people say you're a bit narrow minded, Fraction Man. who was it that said somethiing else like "so far down the autistic spectrum, he has more empathy with a calculator than with another human..."

open your mind!

Jon-of-arc

R.I.P.
That's in Caversham, not Reading. Get your facts right!:mad:
anyone who distinguishes Caversham from Reading is clearly either a snobby caversham resident, trying to dissasociate themselves from the rest of the town, or is not on the same planet as the rest of us, mentally speaking. And Wokingham can stop trying to nick Woodley, as well. That is clearly a part of Reading, even if they pay taxes to W.D.C. I keep meaning to start a facebook group on this very issue...

Jon-of-arc

R.I.P.
I did! Tiny place though!

Can you still get the really good veggie food from the cafe downstairs?
No, it shut, I think it wasnt really making money. The hippy owner just stopped paying his staff, and locked them out one day. He sold it to the chicken place next door, and it reopened for a few months, then closed again. Its a newsagent/off liscence now. RISC on london street does reasonable veggie food, I think...

Jon-of-arc

R.I.P.
Well, you can't. Who do you vote for? Reading East MP. Councillor sit on Reading Borough Council, to whom you pay your council tax. Move a couple miles north, and I think your in oxfordshire, but till you do, you're still our bitch...

mrsfran

Slightly less bulbous
Readings no shitter than it was, ohh, that musta been about 15+ years ago, if we're talking Original turtle (before my time, just - my older sisters both went, but I was too young...). you're just missing all the interesting bits coz you aint in the loop no more.

You worked in Raw? Did you know any of the other shop workers in smelly alley? Ruth from the piercing place above strawberry fields? Long shot, but never hurts to ask...
I did know some of the other shop workers, and I sort of knew Ruth but she wouldn't remember me, I was just a Saturday girl. She was good friends with my boss at Raw though. She pierced my ears a few times.

The Turtle moved while I was there, but I never went to the new one. I moved away in 1997 when I was 18.

Am I remembering right that you were a Reading Grammar boy?

Jon-of-arc

R.I.P.
I did know some of the other shop workers, and I sort of knew Ruth but she wouldn't remember me, I was just a Saturday girl. She was good friends with my boss at Raw though. She pierced my ears a few times.

The Turtle moved while I was there, but I never went to the new one. I moved away in 1997 when I was 18.

Am I remembering right that you were a Reading Grammar boy?
Nope, failed the entrance. Ended up at Presentation College. I remember you saying that the Reading boys were fitter than us. That stung...

Ruth stopped piercing in the end, and I ended up working with her in the drug and alcohol field. But she seems to know everyone in Reading, so figured i'd ask. We fell out a while back (over a softball game, of all things...) - not an awful fall out, but we dont see so much of each other now...

The Groke

hot hail/Paging Dr. Beat
No, it shut, I think it wasnt really making money. The hippy owner just stopped paying his staff, and locked them out one day. He sold it to the chicken place next door, and it reopened for a few months, then closed again. Its a newsagent/off liscence now. RISC on london street does reasonable veggie food, I think...
Shame.

I am not even a veggie, but their awesome ciabattas and fries were excellent come-down food.

Jon-of-arc

R.I.P.
Just done the first verse of my Reading rap (sung to Jay Zs Empire State of mind, as per the recent GLC vid...)

Thought i'd share it...

come have a spliff in the forbury, we'll get stoned fella
this is Reading, we score our puff down mandela
Head down junction, have a drink in the upin
it's a scream, you'll see students out clubin'

I used to score down great knolly street, home of that west ham colin*
He od'd, and it looks like a treatment problem
Go swimmin in central, jump of the divin boards
round the corner to oxford road, there's no shortage of workin' whores

cruisin down the IDR, on our way to twyford
fancy a curry, sunday buffet at the gaylord
me, I'm off to caversham, down by the festival site
thank god its only 3 days in auguest, we have put up with that shite

Say hello to medejeski, down in whitley
home of the royals, remember when they were in the premier league?
and london irish, what they doing here, seriously?
you can tell by my attitude, I dont like anyone who aint from...

Reading, urban sprawl distinguishable from no others
Theres nothing to do, now you're in Reading
Big shops will attract you,
but wont fill up the void,lets here it for Reading
Reading, Reading
hope y'all like it. it sort of works, if you rap along to it proper...

*http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/s/2076300_heroin_addict_was_good_guy_say_friends for those struggling with the reference - I knew him...

QueenOfGoths

Fuck you Dave!
I like the Hobbycraft store and the Oracle, Mr, QofG's likes the big lion statue and the Biscuit Tin museum (part of the Museum of Reading I think!).

Plus the Hobgoblin is an excellent pub :cool: