Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Reading - things to do, food, drink, gigs and chat

Jon-of-arc

Ransom'd, Stoopid & Roofless
R.I.P.
Great place, isnt it? I was born here, and like so so many, I seem to be afflicted with the "curse" of this here town - that one never truly escapes...

But why would you want to? Everything you can do anywhere else, you can do here, but it's closer. It's just the right size, as well. Perfectly possible that any person you meet might be a friend of a friend, but also enough people to always have someone new to meet. Not in-bred cosy, but not anonymous gigantic. Just the right size.

Also, festivals, culture, history, prosperity, and all kinds of other good shit. Way better than wanky london, if you ask me....

Hollis

Bloody furious
Almost moved to Reading back in 1998.

Good for gigs if you like Julian Cope (or Ritchie Blackmore).

frogwoman

лягушкая женщина
LOL, I know exactly what you mean, I lived there for three years and grew up around the area ............

Jon-of-arc

R.I.P.
LOL, I know exactly what you mean, I lived there for three years and grew up around the area ............
see? FW knows. Way better than london!

why's truxta tryna piss on my parade, re my romanticising of Reading? If others can do it with london, I can do it with my home town. And it is, to my mind, a truly magical place. Pretty much everything significant that has happened in my life has happened here.

We call them cheese-logs, god-damnit!!

Jon-of-arc

R.I.P.
what didnt you like about it? whats not to like? i guess we probably didnt like you, and thats where all this bitterness comes from. Reading be bad to de bone. Strung out got hung out from the towns main stems, thats why he frontin'!!

not big or interesting enough for me. i come from a bigger and more diverse city, and moving to Reading felt like a step backwards. decent enough, but not what i wanted.

Jon-of-arc

R.I.P.
not big or interesting enough for me. i come from a bigger and more diverse city, and moving to Reading felt like a step backwards. decent enough, but not what i wanted.
oh, look, Reading was just too small for a man of the world like me, dont you know. I mean with all the worlds unlimited possibilities, why would I want to stay in some small-town, arse-end-of-england-non-entity like Reading, for gods sake? I mean, come on...

No wonder we laughed you out of town before you'd ever seen what we truly had to offer. Your loss - Next!!

Jon-of-arc

R.I.P.
I used to go out with a girl from Reading. She was nice but the town was a bit, well, rubbish,
oh yeah, what happened? Dumped ya, did she? Not good enough in the sack, I suppose? Couldnt get it up? Welll dont take it out on poor, Bloody READING!!!! We aint done nuffink to you.

DotCommunist

slowtime
a bit shy with the tips for delivery men as I recall, the denizens of anonymous urban sprawl no33: reading.

one day all england will be thus. endless 'burbs and chicken outlets and postcode gang stabbings

Jon-of-arc

R.I.P.
a bit shy with the tips for delivery men as I recall, the denizens of anonymous urban sprawl no33: reading.

one day all england will be thus. endless 'burbs and chicken outlets and postcode gang stabbings
arent you from northampton, or something? same shizzle, diff'rent shire...

Jon-of-arc

R.I.P.
He's not from Northampton. He is Northampton.
lets not start making this thread about somewhere else now. I'm the Bodie of Berkshire, right here. I aint never heard no radio station outside of here and I cant see the point in leaving. What?

FoxyRed

long overdue ban
Banned
Sorry but Reading was nice about 20 years ago. It has now become a sess pool of rankness

buscador

culturally dominant
I'm not sure I'd want to live there, but the Spice Oven does the best all you can eat buffet I've ever had.

Fuzzy

Hearts Cov
lived and worked there for a year. a big town with small pretentions. yes easy to get around and enough to keep you entertained but all i used to hear was that its only 20 minutes on the train from london.

Jon-of-arc

R.I.P.
famous people from or associated with Reading!

Jane Austin
Charlie Brooker (born here, but buggered off before he was out of nappies, as far as I can tell...)
Kenneth Branagh
Ricky Gervais
Sam Mendes
Mike Oldfield
Ayrton Senna (lived here for a while...)
Chris Tarrant
Kate Winslet (& her sisters, who I cant be bothered to name, because although they are actresses in their own right, they are really more famous for being her sisters...)
Oscar Wilde - served time and wrote a ballad about our local gaol. When I did my 4 stretch, I asked one of the screws which cell Wilde was in. The screw didnt know. (4 days, FYI)

All these "celebrities" with Chris Tarrant being the only one that I would argue is truly crap. Brooker, Austin, Gervais, Mendes & Wilde are all arguably brilliant in their respective fields. The rest are not without merit. Name me one other town that has produced a 5:1 good-crap ratio of famous ex-residents...

The Groke

hot hail/Paging Dr. Beat
Living in Sandhurst it was the nearest proper big town and I spent a lot of time there when I was a kid and a young teen.

When I was 18 I moved into a shared house on Hill street and worked at Royal Insurance on Friar Street.

Loved it:

Every night down the Purple Turtle drinking snakebite black and playing the best juke box in the world,
Shopping for records and video games in Harris Arcade,
afternoon drinks in The Sun,
dancing/copping-off in the After Dark,
Gigs at the Alley Cat,
Sweeny Todd's pies,
bunking in to the festival,
drunkenly falling in the canal...

All good.

I can't abide it now mind - I go back very occasionally to see my sister and that fucking monster shopping centre has sucked the heart right out of the place.

mrsfran

Slightly less bulbous
I'm from Reading. It is a bit shit, let's be honest.

I did used to work in Smelly Alley though.

Jon-of-arc

R.I.P.
Also, buying poppers from the head shop in Smelly Alley.

:cool:
they shut the head shop. Well moved it to Harris Arcade in 2008, then it shut a few months back. They refused to sell mephedrone there, whilst every other head shop in the country was making fortunes knocking it out at £20 a gram plus. I asked, and they said that it was too risky legally, which is sort of fair enough, but no wonder they couldnt afford to stay open...

Also, the Forbury Gardens & smoking weed that you just bought from Mandela with your mates, doing blow-backs and hyperventalation games that made people pass out and have fits, climbing on the lion, nutty Jason, dropping your first trip aged 15 (no better place to trip than the Forbury...) and every other cool thing that happened in my teenage years...

Jon-of-arc

R.I.P.
I'm from Reading. It is a bit shit, let's be honest.

I did used to work in Smelly Alley though.
Traitor!! We all know you pampered little Abbey girls were just shielded from the true Reading underground, and thats why you think it's shit...

mrsfran

Slightly less bulbous
Traitor!! We all know you pampered little Abbey girls were just shielded from the true Reading underground, and thats why you think it's shit...
I did the Forbury/Mandela thing too. And the Purple Turtle (when it was in its ORIGINAL venue), and the After Dark, and bunking into the festival. I even wrote for Blah Blah Blah. Then I moved away, and they built The Oracle, and now, well, it's a bit a shit. I'll be back in the 'Ding this weekend coming as it happens.