RAF at 100 Horseguards

Discussion in 'transport' started by A380, Jul 6, 2018.

1. A380

A380 How do I change this 'custom title' thing then?

01930B63-BA79-47DE-96D8-3DBAF362CC1C.jpeg Open over the weekend at Horseguards. No queue just now, suggest that might change...

Getting ready for the fly past on Tuesday.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  2. A380

74D14C9F-4528-4259-9CD9-B45F9D1C352E.jpeg 796CEB5F-AECD-4789-8D35-14006AF8665E.jpeg

3. A380

1C1A9F7C-0A84-4745-A7F8-B77E6744BD03.jpeg

kebabking likes this.
  4. A380

5. A380

6. A380

7. A380

8. spitfire

spitfire Toast

Cool. might try and pop down Sunday.

kebabking and A380 like this.
  9. A380

It’s free. There are cockpit visits and a STEM kids’ event too.

spitfire likes this.
  10. spitfire

spitfire Toast

Nice one thanks. Will bring mini fire down and continue her indoctrination into the military industrial complex.

Opera Buffa, A380 and kebabking like this.
  11. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

Mmmmm..... Wokka... I'm nearly there...

A380 likes this.
  12. DotCommunist

DotCommunist specter haunting

Its all going to be remote and/or semi atonomus ai soon anyway. A morbid display of military archeotech all shiny and cool looking. Homes for heroes boys.

A380 and spitfire like this.
  13. A380

Nah, the Lighting and Tornado are in really cool matt finishes.

14. DotCommunist

I heard Madeline Albright on the world service earlier say that she has 'lived and died' foreign policy. I sm not sure you get to use that commonplace bit of hyperbole when people literally lived and died as a result of your policies. In any case that's left me in bad cess regarding the soft and normalised indoctrination into cool cool death things is, just a job lads, see the world. This is all perctly normal. Its a profession you know, always good on the CV even if you do a short one. Perfectly normal.

newbie likes this.
  15. DotCommunist

Not that this is new stuff to me you know, just albrights blithe saying of stuff threw it into frame for me again. Its just a good day out right? Right? Bluergh

16. A380

Well on Thursday we celebrated 70 years of the NHS. We almost certainly wouldn’t have had that without the people in fighter command and the rest of the RAF in the Battle of Britain. I doubt a Nazi led Germany that had defeated Russia in a single front war would have allowed the progress made by the Atlee Government even if there had been a Vichy style rump ‘empire’ left.

Anyway if you don’t want to look at cool as fuck aeroplanes then don’t go.

17. A380

Two great British icons. We couldn’t have had the second without the first.

49991798-57EC-4CEE-85B6-70A14097E42D.jpeg 21EA177A-E2ED-48B2-B759-400D1F1D68E6.png

(And both operated by people from all round the world for the good of others.)

dessiato likes this.
  18. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

Stupid question time.

How have they got all this stuff into central London? On the back of several lorries, dismantled and, er, mantled (?) again? Seriously. Didn’t it fuck up the roads? Played havoc with the Victoria line?

(I genuinely want to know)

A380 likes this.
  19. A380

I think the Chinook flew in. The rest probably came in parts on trucks. I saw them putting the Lightning together on Tuesday- that’s a static display model- and it was in very un-aeroplane like chunks.

LynnDoyleCooper and planetgeli like this.
  20. LynnDoyleCooper

LynnDoyleCooper Up against the wall motherfucker.

I really, really want to fly in a Dakota.

A380 likes this.
  21. DotCommunist

If the allied assault on Europe hadn't been conducted with unseemly haste the red army would have rolled over Berlin and all of western Europe. The Nazi war machine had been bled dry in eastern Europe. The allies were happy to delay that second front for quite some time eh?
    So who knows, maybe i should be grateful for the post war reformism that barely exists anymore. Or maybe i feel robbed of a could have been, a nearly

22. spitfire

spitfire Toast

I had a ticket to fly in the last flight of a DC3 from Southend, (the civilian equivalent of a Dakota as you probably already know).

Myself and my mate Stacey bought tickets months beforehand and I remembered the week after it had happened that we had them? :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

If you like Dakota's check this out, I'll be at Duxford for this next year.

Daks Over Normandy | Daks over Normandy

23. A380

Mmm. Let’s pick all the holes in that amazingly wrong counter factual later.

Meanwhile.

Cool aeroplanes!

24. DotCommunist

Carrion birds.

25. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

That’s one up my dad has on you.

Though he’s dead so that’s probably one all.

LynnDoyleCooper, A380 and spitfire like this.
  26. spitfire

spitfire Toast

Here's the Dakota on the back of a couple of lorries. Will take a look around and see what else was shipped in.

A380 and planetgeli like this.
  27. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

i'm not actually sure the wokka is a real one - our crustacian breathren have been bleating all week on twitter about putting bits of plastic on lorries, i fear that you may be disappointed if you get too close.

it would however be churlish, as we approach the RAF's centenery of poor social skills and the wearing of man-made fibres, to suggest that this would give a realistic appreciation of the experience of the two Armed Services...

A380 and spitfire like this.
  28. spitfire

spitfire Toast

That Spitfire looks pretty real and it's a late model as well. Most of the fibre glass gateguards are MK 1's and they don't get that shiny.

The Mighty Wokka looks too detailed to be a replica but you'd know better than me.

A380 likes this.
  29. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Not what they want but what is good for them

DSC_1990.JPG i was picking over an abandoned dak last month . not at horse guards though

LynnDoyleCooper, A380 and spitfire like this.
  30. A380

It looked real from the outside. But I’ve only been in a flying one once. I suppose it could be a ground training airframe.

I imagine the central London location was handy for several really top quality hotels to help them relive operations.