Radiohead - good?

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by MillwallShoes, Feb 25, 2013.

?

Radiohead - any good?

1. Amazing

25 vote(s)
    40.3%
  2. Good

23 vote(s)
    37.1%
  3. Average

7 vote(s)
    11.3%
  4. Poor

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  5. Shit

6 vote(s)
    9.7%
  1. MillwallShoes

MillwallShoes Don't kill the Lion

i used to like them. I think they can be very creative. but ultimately a bit boring? I respect the musical views of urban more than many places...so just wondered what you all thought about one of the world's supposed greatest bands?

2. Yetman

Yetman Cheesecar Fucksquad #1

Amazing, but hard to get if you don't get them if you know what I mean.

lizzieloo and neonwilderness like this.
  3. DotCommunist

DotCommunist slowtime

OK Computer and Kid A are still stone classics

4. billy_bob

billy_bob contents may have settled during transit

Some of the best guitar-based songwriting of the 90s and 00s, occasionally interrupted by muso widdling but not nearly enough to put me off them.

Kaka Tim, skyscraper101 and romeo2001 like this.
  5. Ax^

Ax^ Silly Rabbit

where always good when i found out the ten year easter egg they did with in rainbows and ok computer

my opinion is now amazing

:)

6. RaverDrew

RaverDrew self-banned for a bit R.I.P.

Everything after The Bends was toss...

7. Johnny Vodka

Johnny Vodka The Abominable Scotsman

Amazing - not every record is genius, but they've been going 20 years and still make good stuff, their 2nd last album (In rainbows) being the best IMO.

Fez909 likes this.
  8. 8115

8115 Turn left.

Never really got into Radiohead. Eraserhead (Thom Yorke solo album) is quite good. I got it for a fiver.

9. el-ahrairah

el-ahrairah forward communism, forward gerbils!

never heard of them.

lizzieloo and Firky like this.
  10. Left

Left aimless

not very good

11. Knotted

Knotted Sweet when you stir it up

I get bored with them very quickly. Not much there once you get past the pyrotechnics and the whininess. Not a terrible band I suppose. I'll be generous and say they are average. In the 90's there weren't many guitar bands which weren't utter toss, so average was quite good back then and I would spend some soul destroying time listening to them out of desperation. I give them marks for not being quite as dull as the Stereophonics. (Admitedly I only know the first three albums.)

MillwallShoes likes this.
  12. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank If it's alive, don't lick it.

They made a powerful enemy of me by making that festering dog turd of an album called The King of Limbs. Classic believing-your-own-hype stuff, Thom Yorke clearly now thinks that any passing idea that comes to him on the bog after he's had a few spliffs too many must be genius, even if that idea is to make an album with NO FUCKING TUNES :mad:

The rest of their stuff is good though. Even Hail to The Thief is great if you snip out a few of the more pointless tracks from your playlist.

13. MillwallShoes

MillwallShoes Don't kill the Lion

betaband showed more promise but were shortlived.

14. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

Emo shite

The39thStep likes this.
  15. billy_bob

There's always one isn't there. "Oh, they were shit once anyone except me had heard of them, I was into them when they were a Krautrock band and they only performed in one venue on Diego Garcia to the same three blokes and one woman, all acting like they didn't know each other." :rolleyes:

16. Johnny Vodka

Johnny Vodka The Abominable Scotsman

No album with this on it can be a turd...

Hollis, neonwilderness and Yetman like this.
  17. Yetman

Yetman Cheesecar Fucksquad #1

Is it just me then or is the start of this fucking brilliant?

Chilli.s and Johnny Vodka like this.
  18. 8115

8115 Turn left.

I'm really surprised how many people don't like them as my guess would have been they're easily one of the most credible bands around today. Also Thom Yorke is fit (should have been a poll option).

19. Ax^

Ax^ Silly Rabbit

fit? he looks like he could be shane macgowan brother

:hmm:

20. billy_bob

:D At least he's the marginally less fucked-looking brother.

21. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

So far no one has voted for them being poor or shit, only average or above.

Of course there's a few brave iconoclasts on here to keep the sheeple's tastes in check, but otherwise they seem pretty well liked. No idea why you said that^^ ?

22. 8115

8115 Turn left.

I'm surprised by the volume of iconoclasm.

23. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

On Urban? LOL

This place drips with iconoclasm...it's built on it :D

24. Ax^

Ax^ Silly Rabbit

[​IMG]

25. Knotted

Knotted Sweet when you stir it up

Example:
    The song Life in a Glasshouse would be good in a Robert Wyatty sort of way if it wasn't Thom Yorke being overdramatic in it. I think this is what I dislike about them, even when they have a good thing going they spoil it by milking it for all the emotional impact they can get. Garish, in your face. Horrible really. I felt that way about Creep when it first came out. It's a very commercial, manipulative, superficial sound and this is true even when they are doing something a bit out of the ordinary. OK that's not necessarily a bad thing I know, but it means I only listen to them ironically now and I would prefer to give an ironic spin of Pink Floyd's the Wall.

26. Firky

Firky The first of the gang Banned

My favourite band. Used to do their website and I have a load of goodies from that :)

Got all the solo stuff as well by Greenwood, Yorke and Selway. I am a total teenage fan boi. Been following them for twenty years now :oops:

27. SpookyFrank

Manipulative sound? If you mean deliberately constructed so as to have a particular effect upon the emotional state of the listener, isn't that what music is for?

And people who claim to listen to music 'ironically' understand neither music nor irony IMO.

28. billy_bob

:D

Actually I think urban turns the usual definition of iconoclasm on its head. Really bucking the trend here is saying you like something that's widely liked - Radiohead for example, or American Beauty. The 'sheeple' are the ones trampling each other in the stampede to show how disdainful they are of such things.

Fez909 and MillwallShoes like this.
  29. SpookyFrank

Oh, and IIRC they stopped playing Creep years ago so they're not really milking it as such.

30. catinthehat

catinthehat Failed VK = Replicant

Never put a foot wrong as far as I am concerned - I am loving the TY spin off Atoms for Peace. I intend to focus on their Glastonbury performance in my final moments of life as so far it has been the best thing ever.