1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radio 2 chat

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by ska invita, Apr 8, 2016.

1. nastybobby

nastybobby Well-Known Member

I worked on a local radio station back in the late 80's/early 90's. They rarely had any decent prizes for competitions, so myself and a few other non broadcasting staff were frequently 'competition winners', we're not talking foreign holidays, but minor stuff like 'NOW' compilations and the like.

My favourite story was when the record company failed to label the Prince track 'Sexy MF' properly, it was still a time when 7" singles were played. The 'radio edit' and uncensored version label were on the wrong side of the record. We just trusted the label and made the uncensored version unplayable by scratching the feck out of it. DJ's would frequently put a record on but not listen to it, just check when it was due to finish and quickly visit the toilet etc. So we had Prince shouting out 'You Sexy Mother F*cker' to the whole of West Yorkshire and the boss of the station sprinting down the corridor from his office to the studio screaming 'Jesus Christ !!!!'

marty21, AverageJoe and ska invita like this.
  2. Johnny Vodka

Johnny Vodka The Abominable Scotsman

A couple of hours of the 'biggest ever selling albums' in the office this afternoon. Probably the worst couple of hours of music I've heard in my life. :(

3. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

i do like the 7pm weekday slot...folk, country, rnb and jazz monday to thursday....

btw what kind of an accent does Jeremy Vine have? where from do you reckon?

4. scooter

scooter Well-Known Member

England?

5. ska invita

whereaboots?
    its quite unique

6. scooter

scooter Well-Known Member

The England thats in Europe?

(Sorry, i was being facetious. I'm not very good at it)

7. ska invita

*we need a dislike button! ;)

8. Saffy

Saffy Under the duvet..

I found myself singing along to a song on radio 2 the other day which I had heard a couple of times.
    Turns out it was Shakin' Stevens new song. :eek::oops::facepalm:

ska invita likes this.
  9. ska invita

:D
    [​IMG]

10. ska invita

92 year old Desmond Carrington is doing his last show right now... Has been broadcasting on despite Alzheimers and cancer, but finally hanging up his headphones... Sounds like a legend...worth checking on iplayer...djing from another era...

Libertad likes this.
  11. TheHoodedClaw

TheHoodedClaw "Ride me sideways" was another one

That was nice. Old boy bowed out with a bit of Mel Torme - That's All.

Libertad and ska invita like this.
  12. ska invita

Dale Winton sitting in for Liza Tarbuck last 2 hours... im not the biggest fan of his work, but fair play hes played some feel good northern soul and associated pop

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
    Ground Elder likes this.
  13. TheHoodedClaw

He died today, three months after hanging up his headphones.

14. spliff

spliff New Member

I don't really listen to radio 2.
    I listen to radio 3 for background hum, they play music I don't really know so it doesn't distract me from what I'm doing.
    (except for Late Junction which I record on the box and actually listen to), also 6Music if I feel in a listening mood.
    However, that said, I have been recording Sounds of the 60's on the box for the last few years, I've got about 500hours of programmes.
    This will now come to a juddering halt with the replacement of Brian Matthew's soft delivery (even Tim Rice was ok as a fill in) with a wanker named Tony Blackburn.
    A voice and persona I have tried to keep out of my life since 1971.

TB:We've got Marion on the phone, where are calling from Marion?
    M: Hello Tony I'm calling from Haywards Heath
    TB: What's the weather like there?
    M: It's wet Tony, very wet
    TB: Oh dear. Marion you want us to play the next record for your husband Derek
    M: Yes please Tony it's our 13th wedding anniversary
    TB: Lucky for some, now Marion what our listeners don't know is that you are in fact blind
    M: Yes Tony I've been blind since birth
    TB: Great
    :rolleyes::mad::rolleyes::mad:

ETA: Last show from Brian Mathew

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    Libertad and ska invita like this.
  15. ska invita

16. SaskiaJayne

SaskiaJayne Rural Guerrilla

I listen to the first 15mins of Jeremy Vine until You & Yours comes on. I just noticed Steve Wright is paid over £half mill pa for his Mon-Fri & Sunday shows. I thought he would be on about £150k. I’m glad I don’t buy a TV licence.

17. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Ken Bruce makes mornings bearable, and popmaster is still good. We have it on in the office i share with an older lady, Vine's show usually good for a discussion to be fair, but when she vanishes at 3, i normally switch to a mix on Mixcloud to end the day on a high.

18. Johnny Vodka

Bruce is a right annoying, cringey, unfunny cunt - and this comes from a Scot. :D Thank fuck I don't work in an office where R2 is piped any longer. :D

19. Spod

Spod Well-Known Member

Each to their own but to me Ken Bruce sounds like one of the Smashy and Nicey brigade that got cleared out in the 90's. Same with Steve Wright. Painful to listen to. And where do they find archive music that bad to play? Its like they've gone through the archive looking for the shittest blandest musak known to man.

20. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

I did say Bearable guys! Cut me some slack!

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm still not ready for Radio 2.

Johnny Vodka likes this.
  22. ska invita

I disagree with you about the sound of Ken Bruce - Ken is firmly in the Terry Wogan masterclass of vocal intonation. A rare gift to make each sentence go up very high near the beginning and then go very very low and baritone at the end. If I listen to Ken its purely for his voice, popmaster, and then quickly turn it down before he plays any 'music'.

Totally agree with about the almost-genius shit music that gets played. Where does it come from? Where do they find it? This happens a lot on regional BBC stations too I find. Its quite incredible. Though the other day I was listening to BBC Devon and I was saying just this, 'where do they dredge this stuff from?' - and it turned out to be an Ed Sheeran ballad lol.

It made me wonder, do stations pay less for shit music no one has heard of? If so that would make a lot of sense. Anyone know? nastybobby?

Spod likes this.
  23. ElizabethofYork

ElizabethofYork Witchsmeller Pursuivant

The only thing bearable on Radio 2 is Sounds of the Seventies with Johnny Walker on Sunday afternoons.

Chris Evans - yuck
    Ken Bruce - Yuck
    Jeremy Vine - Yuck
    Steve Wright - Yuck
    Simon Mayo - Even more yuck, especially the cringingly unfunny Confession, where everybody laughs uproariously at banality.

24. ska invita

True...but theres also Paul O'grady , Bob Harris Country, Mark Radcliffe Folk, Jamie Cullum Jazz, Paul Jones Blues show, Craig Charles, Liza Tarbuck is okay...plus the old skool bits like the brass band show and Friday night is music night is fun that it still exists. Sad news about the organist though
    I rarely really choose to listen to any of it, but especially if all you've got is FM and you're outside of London....

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018 at 1:24 PM
    ElizabethofYork likes this.
  25. BCBlues

BCBlues Lend us a Twenner

You can hear some good old tunes on a Sunday night, especially the Don Black show. Nice way to wind down with a little Billie Holiday/Frank Sinatra/Jim Reeves etc.

Craig Charles House Party ain't bad too either.

ska invita likes this.
  26. Lurdan

Lurdan old wave

Don't listen to R2 much but I quite enjoy Ana Matronic's two hour disco show at midnight on Saturday's.

27. Johnny Vodka

Can't you get 6 Music? :confused:

28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Fucking hell. Steve Wright is still going? He was always really annoying.

29. ska invita

It is quite incredible. He's on big money too. Half a million a year iirc. A UK radio legend though, it must be said.
    Another one that manages to dig out some mind bendingly dire music. He's on six days a week too!

30. TheHoodedClaw

The BBC - and other large broadcasters and production companies - have blanket licences, which basically means they pay the PRS and PPL a fat annual fee and in most circumstances don't have to negotiate for use. They just need to report what music has been used so the money gets divvied up correctly.