Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Radio 2 chat

oryx

Sitting on the bock of the day
Dear GOd, I remember when she joined 94.9 (whatever they call it now) - arghhhh!!! :mad: Horrible stressfull radio. She managed to be worse than John Fucking Gaunt (i wonder what rock hes crawled back under).
Listening to Jon Gaunt is the nearest I've ever come to throwing the radio across the room!

Was it Tony who just recently got the sack, and went kicking and screaming?
Yep. And he out of all of them is totally innocent. He's seriously just not capable of that stuff. He's the. Most naive, almost autistic, passionate fan of music. I've never ever seen him ever in a bad mood. If anyone around him gets grumpy he avoids it.

I went to a christening he was at with his daughter (who was about 6-9,its a long time ago) and he said it was time to go. Obvs she didn't want to go and he came out with this parenting line...

TB-'come on now, we have to go. And if we don't don't go when I say we need to to, what happens? '
Daughter-' you start telling jokes? '

Needless to say she put her coat on an d they both left

The man is a legend and too socially awkward ever to have got involved I that shit

ska invita

back on the other side
Listening to Jon Gaunt is the nearest I've ever come to throwing the radio across the room!
I was van driving in those days so heard way too many of those shows. He really is an arsehole of some degree - IMO he had a mixture of very knowingly winding up his audience as well as genuinely believing a fair amount of his bile.

Possibly my biggest media claim to fame is that in the hours after the 9/11 twin towers attack I wrote in an email to Jon Gaunt saying basically "Tony Blair said we will stand shoulder to shoulder with Bush > how many people will now die in the revenge attacks that our two countries will no doubt make - no doubt many many more than died yesterday" ...Jon Gaunt opened the show with it and it set the tone for that days phone-in. More than anything I felt like I got one up against him for that, but thats just the petty competition fight mode that he inspired in me.

ska invita

back on the other side
Yep. And he out of all of them is totally innocent. He's seriously just not capable of that stuff. He's the. Most naive, almost autistic, passionate fan of music. I've never ever seen him ever in a bad mood. If anyone around him gets grumpy he avoids it.

I went to a christening he was at with his daughter (who was about 6-9,its a long time ago) and he said it was time to go. Obvs she didn't want to go and he came out with this parenting line...

TB-'come on now, we have to go. And if we don't don't go when I say we need to to, what happens? '
Daughter-' you start telling jokes? '

Needless to say she put her coat on an d they both left

The man is a legend and too socially awkward ever to have got involved I that shit
I think hes a vegetarian...its the only thing i know about him and im not even sure if its true :thumbs:

Dear GOd, I remember when she joined 94.9 (whatever they call it now) - arghhhh!!! :mad: Horrible stressfull radio. She managed to be worse than John Fucking Gaunt (i wonder what rock hes crawled back under).
John gaunt. Fucking hell. Mind you I used to the work with Caesar the biogeyman and that approved and jailed paedophile Barry bethel (radio and the Slim fast 'I used to be this fat, and now I'm that Fat!') ad. His son still works in the radio industry

Ground Elder

Interesting enough to convince me his show might be worth a listen BCBlues - your work here is done.

edited to add: The excuse to become a Radio 2 listener that I've been looking for. I feel I've been liberated into middle age.

Last edited:

MrSki

Who am I to say you're wrong
And as for Steve Wright in the Afternoooon, there is something amazingly reassuring about his voice, especially after all these years... caught his show on a Friday afternoon recently and it was B2B banging party anthems "to get you ready for the weekend"
I was in a 90 MPH car crash in 1982 & remember Mr Angry whilst hanging upside down by the seatbelt after car had rolled onto the roof. I was Mr Angry when I undid the seatbelt & bashed my head. It was only about an 8 inch drop but it fucking hurt.

I can still remember Mr Angry though & have disliked Steve Wright ever since.

Sometimes like the pop quiz in the mornings if Radio 5 phone in is shite.

stethoscope

I used to listen to Mike Harding who did the folk show (I think he lives near my parents actually), but he got the push a few years back with the Beebs latest of many reshuffles.

Then there were the Norman Jay and David Rodigan 'specials', but otherwise, no!

(Thread more suited to tv/film/radio/books forum?)