1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radio 2 chat

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by ska invita, Apr 8, 2016.

1. BCBlues

BCBlues Lend us a Twenner

Sunday nights on R2 are ace though. Its like entering a time warp.

ska invita likes this.
  2. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

Listening to Jon Gaunt is the nearest I've ever come to throwing the radio across the room!

ska invita likes this.
  3. Yep. And he out of all of them is totally innocent. He's seriously just not capable of that stuff. He's the. Most naive, almost autistic, passionate fan of music. I've never ever seen him ever in a bad mood. If anyone around him gets grumpy he avoids it.

I went to a christening he was at with his daughter (who was about 6-9,its a long time ago) and he said it was time to go. Obvs she didn't want to go and he came out with this parenting line...

TB-'come on now, we have to go. And if we don't don't go when I say we need to to, what happens? '
    Daughter-' you start telling jokes? '

Needless to say she put her coat on an d they both left

The man is a legend and too socially awkward ever to have got involved I that shit

Libertad likes this.
  4. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

I was van driving in those days so heard way too many of those shows. He really is an arsehole of some degree - IMO he had a mixture of very knowingly winding up his audience as well as genuinely believing a fair amount of his bile.

Possibly my biggest media claim to fame is that in the hours after the 9/11 twin towers attack I wrote in an email to Jon Gaunt saying basically "Tony Blair said we will stand shoulder to shoulder with Bush > how many people will now die in the revenge attacks that our two countries will no doubt make - no doubt many many more than died yesterday" ...Jon Gaunt opened the show with it and it set the tone for that days phone-in. More than anything I felt like I got one up against him for that, but thats just the petty competition fight mode that he inspired in me.

CNT36, Libertad and oryx like this.
  5. ska invita

I think hes a vegetarian...its the only thing i know about him and im not even sure if its true :thumbs:

AverageJoe likes this.
  6. John gaunt. Fucking hell. Mind you I used to the work with Caesar the biogeyman and that approved and jailed paedophile Barry bethel (radio and the Slim fast 'I used to be this fat, and now I'm that Fat!') ad. His son still works in the radio industry

ska invita likes this.
  7. ska invita

Caesar the bogeyman - LBC? I recognise the name...

AverageJoe likes this.
  8. Ground Elder

Ground Elder Well-Known Member

That actually looks like quite interesting :hmm:

Libertad, BCBlues and ska invita like this.
  9. Ground Elder

Ground Elder Well-Known Member

Interesting enough to convince me his show might be worth a listen BCBlues - your work here is done.

edited to add: The excuse to become a Radio 2 listener that I've been looking for. I feel I've been liberated into middle age.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
    ska invita and BCBlues like this.
  10. MrSki

MrSki Who am I to say you're wrong

I was in a 90 MPH car crash in 1982 & remember Mr Angry whilst hanging upside down by the seatbelt after car had rolled onto the roof. I was Mr Angry when I undid the seatbelt & bashed my head. It was only about an 8 inch drop but it fucking hurt.

I can still remember Mr Angry though & have disliked Steve Wright ever since.

Sometimes like the pop quiz in the mornings if Radio 5 phone in is shite.

ska invita likes this.
  11. stethoscope

stethoscope Well-Known Member

I used to listen to Mike Harding who did the folk show (I think he lives near my parents actually), but he got the push a few years back with the Beebs latest of many reshuffles.

Then there were the Norman Jay and David Rodigan 'specials', but otherwise, no!

(Thread more suited to tv/film/radio/books forum?)

ska invita and Libertad like this.
  12. stethoscope

Caesar the Geezer aka Boogieman (not bogey, though...) was on Kiss for a while too :hmm:

13. Libertad

Libertad Man of Steal

Mark Lamarr's show used to be great. Where are you now Mark? :(

Kaka Tim and stethoscope like this.
  14. stethoscope

Yes, and Lamarr - Gods Jukebox was great too. I think Lamarr got fucked off with Beeb reshuffling and format changing.

Libertad likes this.
  15. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

Bob Harris's Country Show is ok.

16. Libertad

Libertad Man of Steal

Listening to Brian Matthew now, don't tell anyone. :hmm:

BCBlues and ska invita like this.
  17. ska invita

waking up with this too 09/04/2016, Sounds of the 60s - BBC Radio 2 < really works on a Saturday morning...might do this regularly!
    Ive never heard a show quite like this...real time tunnel
    Liking Brians voice too...nice and mellow
    Definitely prerecorded though...but no fake shouts from people in caravans

BCBlues and Libertad like this.
  18. stethoscope

My mum loves Brian Matthew on Sat morning :cool:

19. Libertad

Libertad Man of Steal

It wasn't a particularly good show today but he knows his music does Brian. :)

20. ska invita

Does your dad know?

marty21, May Kasahara, oryx and 3 others like this.
  21. stethoscope

He'll be having a smoke in his shed so probably not :hmm: :D

22. moomoo

moomoo Not so yummy mummy

I'm a white van (wo)man so I listen to Radio 2 all day! I bloody love Popmaster and Jeremy Vine is my heartthrob.

marty21 and ska invita like this.
  23. ska invita

Isnt Jeremy Vine evil incarnate? Urban has deemed it so

24. Libertad

Libertad Man of Steal

Your name shall also go on the list.

25. ska invita

this a thread about music, and its also where the pirate radio thread is too...and the Rinse thread also...amongst others
    that forum is for narrative talky stuff IMO....Radio 4 threads can go there...Radio 2 is too rocking to fit :D

26. stethoscope

Jeremy Vine doe.

Libertad likes this.
  27. ska invita

an anachronism whose days are numbered

Libertad likes this.
  28. BCBlues

BCBlues Lend us a Twenner

I feel guilty this morning. I feel like ive aged a group of urbs considerably overnight and caused a marital row in stethoscope household, depends what his dads smoking down the shed :D

Best part is i didnt wake up until 5 past ten so missed it all.

Ground Elder, oryx and ska invita like this.
  29. SovietArmy

SovietArmy Well-Known Member

My partner loves Radio 2 fucking hate this radio station. Special Jeremmy Vine show, absolutely rubbish.

30. moomoo

moomoo Not so yummy mummy

I don't care what Urban thinks. I love him. :)

ska invita likes this.