1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radio 2 chat

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by ska invita, Apr 8, 2016.

1. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Ive started catching a bit more Radio 2 recently :hmm: channeling my inner Partridge....

For some reason i most often seem to tune in when Paul O Gradys show is on - i do like him, though i need to be in the mood for the tunes

Some random other bits here and there...amazing how often there are show tunes and light classical getting played.

Are there any particular shows that are worth tuning in to? Any good specialty shows in the schedule?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  2. lizzieloo

lizzieloo Numpty extraordinaire

3. ska invita

:D

I'm shit at Popmaster :(

lizzieloo likes this.
  4. I actually proper lolled at that Lizzieloo :)

Chemical needs and lizzieloo like this.
  5. ska invita

What else is there to chat about.

Fess up, does anyone on the boards listen to Chris Evans in the morning?

6. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

broadly, that ^

i will occasionally put radio 2 on in the car if i'm doing a longish journey and want national travel news, but i find much of it bad for the blood pressure.

much of it is 'daily mail set to bland music'

steve wright is doing the same old shit that seemed mildly funny 30+ years ago (i'm not sure if it was mildly funny 30+ years ago, or whether it being funny peaked once i left my early teens)

7. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

I remember when R2 was all Johnny Mathis and Cliff Richard! I worked in a hospital after leaving school and they had R2 on all day and I couldn't believe the shite it churned out...

I sometimes listen to Johnny Walker's Sounds of the Seventies on a Sunday afternoon. It can be something like Bowie followed by The Stylistics followed by The Eagles then Bob Marley then The Stranglers, then Roxy, the O'Jays and The Jam, plus slightly more obscure stuff. If I say Susan Cadogan, Robert Knight and Alex Harvey somebody on here might get all nerdy on my ass and check out Walker's playlists :D so I can't be 100% I've heard them on this show but I think I have.

Anyway, hopefully you get my drift, and it's a good show - whether you were a kid/teen like me in the 70s or want to hear some good music from the era.

Apart from that I don't bother with R2 in case I hear Elaine Paige or something from Les Mis, or in case they still play Cliff and Johnny Mathis.

Libertad and ska invita like this.
  8. I don't even understand the scoring on that.

Dammit. Just outed myself

9. ska invita

Ah yes, R2 is the only place to go if im on a drive outside of London - its makes you feel like youre going somewhere foreign ;)... and then theres all the shouts to Jane and her husband John, currently on traffic on the A35 after a lovely weekend in the caravan - this one goes out to you two dreamers!

And as for Steve Wright in the Afternoooon, there is something amazingly reassuring about his voice, especially after all these years...caught his show on a Friday afternoon recently and it was B2B banging party anthems "to get you ready for the weekend"

Ive not noticed a Daily Mail agenda, other than just BBC news, but I always turn that down. News should be banned on music radio

10. Industry secret. Nearly all those shout outs are not real.

Every radio station has a demographic and as such fake shout outs are written to appeal to the audience in case they don't get enough good ones.

I used to write them when I work in radio for a station that I shouldn't name but did that kind of thing.

Also, most of the prizes on offer are won in house by staff....

And you thought the tax evasion hoo Haa was bad, now you can't even listen to the radio without feeling you're being ripped off!

The only person I ever had time for when I was in the game was Tony Blackburn. Totally brilliant guy who would set the clock on the radio when he prerecorded his show so that he could do accurate time checks to make his show feel live even if it had been prerecorded. If you ever hear a competition that says 'answers next show' then it's prerecorded. So don't enter. I've probably said too much. :)

nogojones, xslavearcx, danski and 2 others like this.
  11. ska invita

Caught some today. Its just 3 points an answer isn't it?

Ken Bruce is a genuine great Radio Voice

12. ska invita

YOU LIE :mad: TAKE THAT BACK :mad: :mad:

13. I went to his wedding. He obviously wore a kilt

14. Can't believe that a thread about radio two have provided me with two genuine hearty lots!

15. They're the radio equivalent of Readers Wives letters. I knew the guy that wrote those too.

Im just shattering illusions here aren't I :(

16. ska invita

[​IMG]

What a legend...

17. ska invita

Was it Tony who just recently got the sack, and went kicking and screaming?

18. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

the twat that does the lunchtime weekday thing (and the people that phone in with their opinions) is about the worst. It tends to result in high blood pressure and a lot of bad language on my behalf

he holds a bus / coach driver's licence and owns an ex London Routemaster bus or two

19. ska invita

Just looked through the schedule - Vanessa Feltz has been given a 5am slot - serves her right (she winds me up)

oryx likes this.
  20. ska invita

That must be Jeremy Vine :( - luckily have never heard that show for some reason

21. ska invita

dynamicbaddog and BCBlues like this.
  22. lizzieloo

lizzieloo Numpty extraordinaire

:D :D :D

ska invita likes this.
  23. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

Does that mean she won't be on Radio LDN 94.9 in the morning to irritate the hell out of me with her banal waffle?

ska invita likes this.
  24. BCBlues

BCBlues Lend us a Twenner

If you're up early enough in the morning,
    BBC Radio 2 - Sounds of the 60s
    Sounds of the 60s - BBC Radio 2

Best show on the radio :thumbs:

ETA it even has its own Northern Soul section nowadays

Libertad and ska invita like this.
  25. ska invita

Dear GOd, I remember when she joined 94.9 (whatever they call it now) - arghhhh!!! :mad: Horrible stressfull radio. She managed to be worse than John Fucking Gaunt (i wonder what rock hes crawled back under).

angusmcfangus and oryx like this.
  26. ska invita

Looks lovely - will give a it a try on replay :cool:

27. BCBlues

Its an education, hes one of very few djs out there that explain who, when, why & how and plays tracks start to finish

ska invita likes this.
  28. ska invita

What was all this about exactly? I misremembered, but even reading the news about it I don't really understand what has gone down here
    Tony Blackburn: 'BBC gave me chance to resign' - BBC News

29. BCBlues

Chris Evans does my nut in.
    Jeremy Vine is radios answer to Jeremy Kyle.

Wasnt Tony Blackburn thrown into the Yewtree furnace but furiously denies it and wasnt happy his bosses didnt back him up?

SovietArmy likes this.
  30. ska invita

Chris Evans forced cheeriness chills my soul
    Have dodged Jeremy VIne my whole life but one look at his face suggests to me you are right
    I really cant understand what exactly happened regarding Tony Blackburn