1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rachel Whiteread

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by 8115, Nov 28, 2017.

1. 8115

8115 sitting down is bad for you

I went to see the Rachel Whiteread exhibition at the Tate Modern today and it really got me thinking. I'm a massive art fan, I love modern art but something about Whiteread's work just leaves me completely cold. I ended up wondering, is she just a one trick pony? I really struggle to get anything from her art. I don't find it beautiful but conceptually I find it empty. I did like House, although I never saw it in the flesh and I thought Embankment at the Tate Modern was ok, mainly because it looked like icebergs. Thoughts?

2. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

Was it her who did the collection of dolls houses? I liked that.

The whole concrete block thing doesn't really grab me past the initial 'oh that's clever' stage.

3. 8115

Yes, she did do the dollhouses, I hadn't known about that work until now. It's something different from endless casts, anyway.

4. bimble

bimble uber-hippy twonk peanut

I like her house casts, the oppressive solidness and wrongness of them. Really uncomfortable. Maybe a one trick pony I don’t know but the tricks a good one.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  5. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

I like her drawings a lot. They had them at Tate Britain a while back. Haven’t been to the latest exhibition yet. Really regret not seeing House.

6. moon

moon Happy Happy Jo Wonderland

I can't help but feel that this is the point of her art...

bimble likes this.
  7. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

I'm not a fan which can be quite awkward occasionally as her family and my partner's family have known each other for about...ever. They're nice people. Her art just doesn't grab me either. She did the holocaust memorial in Vienna, which isn't meant to be beautiful, but I guess you know that.

8. 8115

How would it be the point? I've not having a dig, I'm genuinely interested in getting to the bottom of this.

9. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards 1967 Maserati Mistral.

I am sick of the whole fucking movement.

Everything you see online is photographed in such an articulate way the only art I can appreciate is the photographer's. "Oh, that's a nice still life - WTF is it?". 'House' was novel and quite big. Her drawings are mostly collages and utter shyte. I am just too tired of all this crap and strongly suspect I am in the vast majority these days. It was fun for a decade.

10. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

Undoubtedly the least interesting of the YBAs, it's like she had one idea back in art college and just kept on doing it.

11. lefteri

lefteri Well-Known Member

Saw house in the flesh and was impressed - it was a great idea - I’m not convinced she’s had any more

12. moon

moon Happy Happy Jo Wonderland

I think because most people create art to invoke emotion or feeling of some kind, maybe she tries to do the opposite, i really don't know, but this is the woman who made a video of herself carrying a cold wet fish over her back whilst wandering outside the doors of a public loo (I think this was Whiteread anyway) I can't help but think that 'leaving you cold' is part of her art..

13. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

If interested, I see there is a programme about her on bbc2 at 21.00. I think I shall pass.