Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

R. I. P. Daniel Johnston

danny la rouge

Raddled old poet
Sorry to hear that. I tried to get into him because Lou Barlow and all that lot said he was great. I tried but couldn’t see what they saw. Still sorry to hear he has died so young. He had a troubled life by all accounts. I hope he found some degree of peace.

Part 2

bizarre wanking accident
Only saw him once, at The Comedy Store in Manchester. It was really intimate and shortly after the film had come ut. I really felt like I was in the presence of a genius. A few years later he was appearing in Manchester again at an art exhibition he was holding and my son went along. He was buzzing when he came back and had Daniel's autograph and had been talking to him.

Thank You Daniel.

8ball

Hetero Sapiens
:(

He'd been quite poorly with the diabetes for quite some time.
I narrowly missed seeing him live on two occasions.

RIP.

rutabowa

LOSE IT
I am a big fan and was lucky to got to see him a few times, including at the windmill in brixton which I always put up there in my top 3 concerts ever, it was the only time i saw him when he looked totally relaxed and buzzing to be performing:

It seemed like he found some kind of peace for the 15 or 20 years of his life maybe, I hope.

killer b

Minimum Waste / Maximum Joy
I regret not really listening to him before - I watched the documentary years ago but didn't really pay much attention to the music. Turns out he was amazing from what I've heard in the last 24 hours. :facepalm:

This one is lovely

rutabowa

LOSE IT
I regret not really listening to him before - I watched the documentary years ago but didn't really pay much attention to the music. Turns out he was amazing from what I've heard in the last 24 hours. :facepalm:
All the albums are a bit spotty, BUT they all have at least a few totally amazing songs on... this is off Artistic Vice which is pretty overlooked cos it was basically an amateur church band backing him up and it's not lo fi enough to be lo fi but is still pretty badly recorded, but it slowly became one of my favourite of his albums. partly cos it is kind of upbeat.

killer b

Minimum Waste / Maximum Joy
All the albums are a bit spotty, BUT they all have at least a few totally amazing songs on... this is off Artistic Vice which is pretty overlooked cos it was basically an amateur church band backing him up and it's not lo fi enough to be lo fi but is still pretty badly recorded, but it slowly became one of my favourite of his albums. partly cos it is kind of upbeat.
put me a playlist together bro.

maomao

四月她爹
Would also appreciate. Was a big fan 25 years ago but at that time he was very unwell and wasn't expecting much more. Discovered his Tiny Desk concert on YouTube a few weeks ago and had just started getting into him all over again.

rutabowa

LOSE IT
ohh I dunno if I am quite the person to do that.... one will prob pop up on Spotify soon.... a good one called "This Is The Silver Jews" was made a few days ago, I enjoyed that.

These were the first couple songs that got me into him... first as a laff, then as heartbreak, like most people I expect

rutabowa

LOSE IT
What with Berman going last week and Johnston this week, Jeffrey Lewis' upcoming shows could end up being a bit emotional. His tribute to Johnson below is typically moving.

he managed to make the gig life affirming emotional, rather than bleak depressing emotional, when he played last night... which i was glad of, i guess we can all do with a bit of that.

rutabowa

LOSE IT
the Daniel Johnston cover was one I didn't know.... don't think there were any other covers. it was good to hear him do his very old song "creeping brain" again, i reckon he played that the first ever time I saw him. band was good too, his brother is over.

Jon-of-arc

Ransom'd, Stoopid & Roofless
Speeding Motorcycle and Casper the Friendly Ghost get heavy rotation on my play list.

"Nobody treated him nice while he was alive
You can't buy no respect like the librarian said, but
Everybody respects the dead, they
Love a friendly ghost
And now they say we'll never forget what he learned us
As we were mean to him but he never burned us
Just singing, "love lives forever!"
Thank you, Casper the Friendly Ghost
Thank you, Casper the Friendly Ghost"

Fucking amazing lyrics.

twistedAM

Left Of The Dial
I am a big fan and was lucky to got to see him a few times, including at the windmill in brixton which I always put up there in my top 3 concerts ever, it was the only time i saw him when he looked totally relaxed and buzzing to be performing:

It seemed like he found some kind of peace for the 15 or 20 years of his life maybe, I hope.
I'd like to think I was on a small way partly responsible for that as I gave him loads of pints of Coca-Cola. Of course it was Diet Coke (his tour manager/half-brother told me the dangers of giving him the full sugar version) but Daniel believed me and thought he was getting a real treat :)

rutabowa

LOSE IT
I'd like to think I was on a small way partly responsible for that as I gave him loads of pints of Coca-Cola. Of course it was Diet Coke (his tour manager/half-brother told me the dangers of giving him the full sugar version) but Daniel believed me and thought he was getting a real treat :)
you were definitely responsible for me being there anyway cos you let me know about it happening, for which I am eternally grateful!

I reckon most people here have seen the doc already but I finally got round to seeing it. Gibby's LSD denial wasn't very convincing was it. Drug people on loads of drugs are not the most responsible ime.

Worried Shoes is such a fantastic tune.