R. I. P. Daniel Johnston

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by ATOMIC SUPLEX, Sep 11, 2019 at 9:21 PM.

1. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

2. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

3. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

4. Boris Sprinkler

Boris Sprinkler Jah bless

5. 8115

8115 Macaroni straws.

Oh. Sad news. RIP.

6. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Without music, life would be a mistake.

Sorry to hear that. I tried to get into him because Lou Barlow and all that lot said he was great. I tried but couldn’t see what they saw. Still sorry to hear he has died so young. He had a troubled life by all accounts. I hope he found some degree of peace.

7. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

RIP, I started a thread in music forum after not seeing this.

8. Part 2

Part 2 bizarre wanking accident

Only saw him once, at The Comedy Store in Manchester. It was really intimate and shortly after the film had come ut. I really felt like I was in the presence of a genius. A few years later he was appearing in Manchester again at an art exhibition he was holding and my son went along. He was buzzing when he came back and had Daniel's autograph and had been talking to him.

Thank You Daniel.

9. 8ball

8ball Resident Right-Winger

:(

He'd been quite poorly with the diabetes for quite some time.
    I narrowly missed seeing him live on two occasions.

RIP.

10. rutabowa

rutabowa LOSE IT

I am a big fan and was lucky to got to see him a few times, including at the windmill in brixton which I always put up there in my top 3 concerts ever, it was the only time i saw him when he looked totally relaxed and buzzing to be performing:

It seemed like he found some kind of peace for the 15 or 20 years of his life maybe, I hope.

maomao likes this.
  11. 8ball

8ball Resident Right-Winger

Perhaps he found true love in the end. I hope.

12. killer b

killer b Minimum Waste / Maximum Joy

I regret not really listening to him before - I watched the documentary years ago but didn't really pay much attention to the music. Turns out he was amazing from what I've heard in the last 24 hours. :facepalm:

This one is lovely

rutabowa and Almor like this.
  13. killer b

What with Berman going last week and Johnston this week, Jeffrey Lewis' upcoming shows could end up being a bit emotional. His tribute to Johnson below is typically moving.

14. rutabowa

rutabowa LOSE IT

All the albums are a bit spotty, BUT they all have at least a few totally amazing songs on... this is off Artistic Vice which is pretty overlooked cos it was basically an amateur church band backing him up and it's not lo fi enough to be lo fi but is still pretty badly recorded, but it slowly became one of my favourite of his albums. partly cos it is kind of upbeat.

15. killer b

put me a playlist together bro.

16. killer b

This version of Life In Vain made me cry all morning

17. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

He was a fine lyricist too. He could be funny, biting, cynical, hopeful - sometimes in the same song or even line. Man obsessed for example.

18. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

Would also appreciate. Was a big fan 25 years ago but at that time he was very unwell and wasn't expecting much more. Discovered his Tiny Desk concert on YouTube a few weeks ago and had just started getting into him all over again.

19. killer b

I'm not finding the childlike simplicity many people have been talking about in much of his lyrics. They're really clever and subtle.

20. rutabowa

rutabowa LOSE IT

ohh I dunno if I am quite the person to do that.... one will prob pop up on Spotify soon.... a good one called "This Is The Silver Jews" was made a few days ago, I enjoyed that.

These were the first couple songs that got me into him... first as a laff, then as heartbreak, like most people I expect

21. killer b

yeah but that might be made by a dickhead.

22. rutabowa

rutabowa LOSE IT

ohh shit i keep remembering amazing ones

23. copliker

copliker ...

The first I heard of him was Firehose's cover of Walking The Cow.