R.I.P Barry Mason ( Southwark) cycle campaigner

Discussion in 'transport' started by dynamicbaddog, Jun 5, 2011.

1. dynamicbaddog

dynamicbaddog Well-Known Member

absolutely shocked and gutted:(

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/5328

This guy was such an asset to the cycling community in Southwark.. I'll remember him for all those rides he organised especially the annual ride through the deserted streets of London on xmas day. (He also organised the Dunwich Dynamo which I never got round to going on) He's going to missed.

2. Open Sauce

Open Sauce Active Member

3. ExtraRefined

ExtraRefined Better than you at everything you love

RIP, met him on a southewark cyclists ride when I lived there, seemed like a top bloke, and was clearly a tireless campaigner for cycling. Very sad.

4. lighterthief

lighterthief Well-Known Member

Met him a few times on the five or so Dunwich Dynamos I took part in. A sad loss for London cycling.

5. co-op

co-op Free the rhubarb crumble!

There's a nice story about him on the Lambeth Cycle Campaign email list which I've just copied;

"In 2004 there was briefly a category of the LCC awards, "Cycling Personality of the Year". LCC staff, who designate the award categories, thought if someone like Jon Snow won, it could generate publicity for the campaign.

Members, bless us, eschewed celebrity and the list of nominations included many hard working and much loved campaigners. Southwark Cyclists nominated Barry, and even though many of the judges did not know him, he won.

There was a feeling amongst staff and the board that this was not what was intended by the category and would be difficult to explain to people outside the campaign. As chair of the judges I agreed to ring Barry to ask him to turn down the award.

He was furious, not with being asked to turn down the award, but with Southwark Cyclists for nominating him and with LCC members and award judges, not seeing that the point of the award was to gain publicity for the campaign, and had no hesitation in agreeing to my request.

What struck me at the time was his humility, during our conversation I realised with amazement that part of his reaction was, don't be ridiculous I don't do anything out of the ordinary.

I think he may have said something to Southwark Cyclist colleagues about having won and being asked to turn it down, the results of the awards are usually a closely guarded secret from judging day to LCC AGM, but there was uproar and Southwark Cyclists threatened to resign from the campaign en masse.

After a lot of persuasion Barry agreed to accept the award, albeit from my speech notes, in a very low key way, and right now I am smiling at the memory of him on the day, looking rather sheepish, a little pleased, but mainly surprised at the enthusiasm for his win."

6. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

I have just realised that I have met him a few times. He was a regular on the bicycle tours which Christorian organises.

The cycling world is a worse place without him :(

RIP

7. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

8. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf I'll meet you further on up the road

indeed
    RIP :(

9. dynamicbaddog

dynamicbaddog Well-Known Member

Potters field,Saturday evening 8pm - Sunday morning 8am. (11th/12th of June).

Got this e-mail from the folks at Druid Cycles

all riders of the Southwark Cyclists,
    We are working in front of our shop now, to build a ghost bike for our friend and supporter Barry Mason. We design for him a white vintage racer. If anybody of the cyclists would like to come down and donate parts to the bike, I would think that would be a nice touch.
    I try to get the bike ready for Saturday morning, before you are going on you Saturday Oliver ride.
    I would love to join the ride for barry, but we are busy organising a Night bicycle repair event for the London night rider in Potters field.
    I have received permision from the organiser and Pottersfield trust to setup the event 3 hours early and we would like to devote this night event to Barry Mason and offer bike repairs to all bicycle riders fro donations. the money we raise we would like to use to complete one of Barries projects and devote our time to one of his many causes.
    So if you would like to, please come to Pottersfield, next to Tower Bridge, between Saturday evening 8pm and Sunday morning 8am. (11th/12th of June).
    You can also donate bicycle parts etc