Quintessential London

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by DJWrongspeed, Feb 24, 2012.

1. clicker

clicker nanook rubs it....

[​IMG]
    a right lit-ul cockney varmint down an alley off Sloane Square.

2. George & Bill

George & Bill semiotically superfluous

This is quite a sophisticated definition of the word 'cliche'.

laptop, Maggot and Corax like this.
  3. Corax

Corax Luke 5:16

There's one serious suggestion I have for Morden. Ravensbury Park. Morden has very little to recommend it. But in amongst the most dreary residential area imaginable, there's an unimposing alleyway.

I walked past it for over a year before really noticing it. And it turned out to be a gorgeous little park alongside a rare above-ground bit of the river Wandle.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's a tiny bit of parkland, and walking down any of the surrounding streets you wouldn't for a second imagine it was there. It became my sanctuary during a particularly rough part of my life.

It would fit with a 'secret London' thread I guess. But these little hidden idylls are quintessentially London in themselves IMO.

ska invita likes this.
  4. clicker

[​IMG]

The beach by the Captain Kidd pub....as sandy as the med and without the 3 hour check in.

ska invita likes this.
  5. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

[​IMG]

Talking of parks if I have guests from out of town something ive done a couple of times is go on a walk or better still bike ride via Dulwich Park - do a couple of laps of that, and on for a pint or two at the Greyhound in Dulwich VIllage.

Dulwich Park on a sunny day is packed with families from beyond the village, and its got a great atmosphere. Dulwich Village plays up to everyones ideas of chocolate box little england, and the Greyhound is a spectacular old pub.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

YOu can do the same thing with Half Moon and Brockwell Park, but its not quite got the same wow factor.

Also for a longer version you can go for a walk through Dulwich Woods, and then on to the village.

6. Gavin Bl

Gavin Bl terrible awful baaad

Great to see Postman's Park. Was going to suggest St Dunstan's near the Tower, a bombed out church that has been used as a public space, really stuck away down an alley. Will post a picture another time....too late now

7. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

[​IMG]

Ill nominate the lamb in lamb conduit street.

8. braindancer

braindancer not for long

Wow I never knew about this - will stroll down there at lucnhtime I think!

9. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

IMO London is all about variety, and co-existing tribes. So I usually suggest that out-of-towners do the little walk from Liverpool St through the edge of the financial district, through Spitalfields, past Christ Church down Fournier St and into Brick Lane. Whitechapel art gallery to your right and the Trumans complex (and Rough Trade etc.) to your left. Food courtesy of St John Bread and Wine or New Tayyab depending on taste/budget.

10. tim

tim Well-Known Member

G Smith and Son

[​IMG]

Which has recently closed down, and will no doubt become something rather blander.

Pickman's model likes this.
  11. rubbershoes

rubbershoes not the only raver in the village

I reckon most visitors to London can do without a basement full of drum n bass and dubstep

12. Lucy Fur

Lucy Fur Well-Known Member

800px-cross_bones_graveyard-0052.jpg Crossbones Cemetry just round the corner from London Bridge is easily missed but definately worth a visit:

Ax^, Maggot and stephj like this.
  13. maldwyn

maldwyn What?

14. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

What's special about it?

15. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

I'll nominate the dinosaurs in Crystal Palace Park.
    [​IMG]
    Crystal Palace Park Dinosaurs by RoyReed, on Flickr
    But you might as well nominate anywhere south of the river (except for the usual tourist stuff on the south embankment). Tourists don't go sarf, do they?

Pickman's model and hash tag like this.
  16. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

It's nice. It's Victorian decor and photos of west end actors from a long time ago, still got snobs screens around the bar et all

17. Gavin Bl

[​IMG]

St Dunstan's as above....usually see city workers having a quiet ciggie, or with a new clinch.

Lucy Fur and clicker like this.
  18. clicker

Never knew about this....will definitely take a wander soon.

19. Gavin Bl

Can't remember the name of the street its off now, might be East Cheap - its the road that takes you from that tangle of a junction just north of London bridge, and down to the Tower. Its on a street to the right as you walk towards the tower. Street might even be St Dunstans something

clicker likes this.
  20. telbert

telbert Do you like sponge?

Its St Dunstans Hill

21. ska invita

I used to go there all the time on uptown visits for a break...once though I was there when a homeless guy was found dead in the bushes. Very sad.
    IIRC its a community garden, run by the local residents around there. The churchyard round the back is great too...StGIles church I think...

clicker likes this.
  22. ska invita

Its a lovely street full stop. Ciao Bella Italian resteraunt next door to the lamb is cool - one of the only London restaurants its a pleasure to sit outside on the street at. Good value too. Proper!

23. ska invita

Its all about the atmosphere ;) especially on a Saturday afternoon...

24. clicker

That is sad....I often go there after a wander in Covent garden with a paperback and a coffee.....the pond wa teeming with baby goldfish last year and the sun just hits it nicely. Yes St Giles church yard is a good 'un too....

25. hash tag

hash tag member

Big bump but seems an appropriate place. I see the Clapham tunnels have been opened to the public. Even if you had been prepared to pay the £30 per head, they have sold out Clapham South - London Transport Museum

26. stdP

stdP I never learn.

I'm one of the people who tried and failed to get tickets to the deep shelters at Clapham, after living around the corner from the entrance to the ones near Goodge Street. So I feel obliged to mention an alternative.

Whether you're a coprophile, an aficionado of huge-assed steam engines or just want to hang out in the Angel Islington's prison if you can get to Crossness Pumping Station over yonder in the east I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's was basically the outflow pumping station for Bazalgette's sewers and is an almost literal cathedral to the art of getting rid of shit.

Crossness Pumping Station - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Visit

Pics don't really do it justice (wish their website had a better gallery but you can find plenty of pics via google I'm sure), the ironwork is incredible.

Sweet FA likes this.
  27. BigMoaner

BigMoaner Don't kill the lion

pie and mash at Manzes tower bridge road followed by, Millwall.

[​IMG]

ska invita likes this.
  28. BigMoaner

salt fish fritta from here

[​IMG]

29. BigMoaner

bermondsey, god's own country

[​IMG]

ska invita likes this.
  30. BigMoaner

Thornton Heath Carnival. Off everyone's radar apart from teh people who live here and we love it.

[​IMG]

BassJunkie, Miss-Shelf and ska invita like this.