Quintessential London

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by DJWrongspeed, Feb 24, 2012.

1. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Was thinking the other day. There are many places in London that are both obscure but also speak definitively about the captial. Visitors will always miss them.

Here's one for starters. Black market records, Soho. Go to the basement, a treasure trove of drum'n'bass & dubstep. It's just London all over.

[​IMG]

2. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx someinenhhanding menbag and me ah bollox

No thanks :p:D

3. dessiato

dessiato Because I could not stop for death

Probably the most interesting toilets I've used

[​IMG]

4. TitanSound

TitanSound Mr Beardy Drummer

A lovely little place with an awesome jukebox. Only a tiny Spanish bar could be so London :)

[​IMG]

marty21 and RoyReed like this.
  5. dessiato

The pub I used to drink in when I worked in Broadwick Street

[​IMG]

6. QueenOfGoths

QueenOfGoths Fuck you Dave!

I used to often walk past there and wonder what it was like :)

7. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

small and expensive ;)
    but great jukebox :cool:

nice thread
    ive got a feeling there'll be a lot of pubs in it :D

8. discokermit

discokermit Well-Known Member

postmans park, little britain,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BassJunkie, Gavin Bl and Maggot like this.
  9. Corax

Corax Luke 5:16

Morden tube station. A secret jewel hidden away at the end of the Northern line.

[​IMG]

10. Love a lot of places in London, but for some reason the London Colliseum in St Martins Lane always pleases me. Its got the most amazing upper body to its architecture (it was built by the same guy who built the Hippodrome fact fans). Not enough people look up when walking around London and as such they miss some amazing stuff.

[​IMG]

dessiato likes this.
  11. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Thread needs to be retitled "cliche London"

12. Minnie_the_Minx

That's why I sit on tops of buses, to avoid walking into lamp-posts

13. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

[​IMG]

Minnie_the_Minx likes this.
  14. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Great posts, keep'em coming. Where exactly is Postman's Park?

15. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

I used to work just round the corner (late 70s - early 80s) and went there quite often. Good to know it's still going.

16. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

Just north of St Paul's Cathedral: Postman's Park

17. dessiato

I used to hang around in Soho Square for lunch, with some of the WGs, it is still one of my favourite places to have lunch.

[​IMG]

Sweet FA likes this.
  18. ska invita

Its in the City
    "Situated between King Edward Street, Little Britain and Angel Street (near St Bartholomew's Hospital) the park acquired its name due to its popularity as a lunchtime garden with workers from the nearby old General Post Office."
    Editors feature:
    http://www.urban75.org/london/postman.html

Talking of quintessential City, I would say standing on London Birdge at 8.30am on a weekday would count. London in its most frightening commuting glory
    [​IMG]

A great pub thats easy to miss (aka hard to find) is Ye Olde Mitre - definite sense of history in this little cubby hole - disputedly the oldest pub in London
    [​IMG]Little wood panelled rooms dont come out on photos, but its a memorable place to visit:
    [​IMG]
    ...and just getting there means you have to work through little streets most Londoners will have never really had reason to go down

19. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Ah yes the Mitre, exactly what i'm talkin about, one of London's best pubs, a piece of Ely in London.
    [​IMG]

20. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Frankly, you should be retitled "cliched poster".

Chz, existentialist and Maggot like this.
  21. Minnie_the_Minx

Cittie of Yorke (although rebuilt) has had a pub in that location for centuries (near Chancery Lane, used to be popular with the legal profession, so was full of twats, but not sure what it's like now)
    Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese is another famous old one (off Fleet Street)
    George Inn
    Lamb and Flag

22. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

The point of the thread was to spot things in London that aren't cliches but are hidden to your average visitor.

23. maldwyn

maldwyn What?

Too true. Why when people talk about secret London (not just this thread) the same old places are mentioned - hardly secret are they.

24. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

Where are they?

25. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

This isn't about secret London, it's about places missed by most tourists. Most of the stuff on this thread fits that criteria.

26. ViolentPanda

Which is why I suggested that teuchter should be re-titled (renamed) "cliched poster". While some of the contributions are well-known to Londoners, most of them aren't to visitors.

I'd also second AverageJoe's exhortation to visitors to stop and look upward. There are some fantastic pieces of architectural detail and ornamental sculpture "hidden in plain sight". Gresham's grasshopper weathervane on the Royal Exchange; Wheeler's elephant balcony-supports at India House, even Gill's Prospero and Ariel and other works on the exterior of Broadcasting House and hundreds more

27. ViolentPanda

"Secret London" is something very different from recommendations of things that visitors should keep a weather-eye out for.

28. dessiato

Broadwick street, it is worth popping in to have a look, if you are male! Maybe the ladies are equally interesting, I've not been in those though.

29. ska invita

Looks like soho, broadwick street. tourists: those bogs really arent that great:D

30. clicker

clicker nanook rubs it....

[​IMG]

Phoenix Gardens...a two minute stroll off Shaftsbury Avenue, the Covent Garden end....to an oasis of plants, ponds and benches with soul.