1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quincy Jones

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by gawkrodger, Feb 8, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm a drummer and that's exactly how I view a great bass player (and drummer). Some flash git showing off would have ruined the Beatles songs.

Nanker Phelge and Kaka Tim like this.
  2. seeformiles

seeformiles Lost in the wood

More like ELO

3. seeformiles

I agree - also his bass playing was very different to his contemporaries (& session players) in the 60s who were largely root to third plink plonk ad infinitum. The way the bass kicks in at the start of Paperback Writer was pretty unique at the time and probably spawned plenty of imitations.

editor and SpookyFrank like this.
  4. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Somewhere under the raincloud

I was playing in an open jam type thing recently and this Eric Clapton-looking dickhead sat in on bass, and immediately started playing some superfast fiddly-widdly lick. This was clearly something he'd decided he wanted to play to show off his bass chops (he'd already done much the same thing on guitar earlier in the evening) but which bore no relation to what anyone else was playing. The rhythm of it was all wrong, and there was so much chromatic nonsense going on that there was no harmonic space left for the other players to work with. I shared an eye roll with the drummer, put down my guitar and fucked off. Yer man on bass didn't seem to notice or care, quelle surprise.

Give me a bass player who can find that one magic note that gives more harmonic and rhythmic depth to a tune, and spare me the cunt who think he's Bootsy Collins. Normally it's guitar players who reckon they can play some bass who are the worst. And I should know, I'm one of them :oops:

5. seeformiles

I found such a magic note on Saturday night. I was standing in on bass with a covers band doing a gig out in the sticks. Given it was the only live music to be had for miles, the place was rammed and everyone was up for a good time. The guitarist did the intro to “Substitute” which finished with me hitting a loud ringing open D - after which we launched into the song proper and the whole place went totally fucking mental. A memorable moment :)

Kaka Tim, SpookyFrank and spitfire like this.