Quincy Jones

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by gawkrodger, Feb 8, 2018.

1. gawkrodger

gawkrodger Well-Known Member

2. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

A genius
    Arranger for this

And this

Producer/arranger

marty21, Sprocket. and Beats & Pieces like this.
  3. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

SpookyFrank and mod like this.
  4. TheHoodedClaw

TheHoodedClaw acknowledging ur soup leg

That's a hell of an interview.

Richard Pryor's widow confirmed Jones' Pryor/Brando story, with this excellent quote:

Richard Pryor and Marlon Brando were lovers, Pryor's widow confirms

5. The Octagon

The Octagon Stop......Hammertime

Man's lost it, big time.

Shame.

6. S☼I

S☼I knismesis & volubility

He's so full of shit, lol
    But very entertaining nevertheless

7. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

I like the bit where he moans about Trumps narcissism with no self-awareness of his own.

8. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

lol taking the fifth on cosby

9. RainbowTown

RainbowTown Well-Known Member

Yes, must be hard trying to defend a man - nay, a legend! - who stands accused of multiple allegations of sexual assault against women, including violence and drugging them. So I suppose silence was the only option he had. Other than that, it was a pretty decent read.

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Quincy has plummeted in my estimation. What a puffed up ego. I can't abide people who go on about musicianship as if it's the most important thing about music.

krtek a houby and S☼I like this.
  11. seeformiles

seeformiles Lost in the wood

I have to question his musical judgement when he praises Ed Sheeran

12. RainbowTown

Also to describe The Beatles as "the worst musicians in the world" was just plain dumb. He even said McCartney was "the worst bass player I ever heard." Which was even dumber.

D'wards and S☼I like this.
  13. TruXta

TruXta tired

McCartney wasn't and isn't a particularly good bass player.

14. RainbowTown

Sorry, totally disagree with that. Macca is a top drawer bass player I think. One of the most underrated in rock music. It's even said that when Miles Davis and Jimi Hendrix were planning to record an album together (sadly never to happen due to Hendrix's death) they asked McCartney to be the bass player. Apparently he had to reluctantly decline, due to other obligations. It doesn't come much better than that.

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

S☼I likes this.
  16. TruXta

TruXta tired

He was a great songwriter, but on a technical level there's nothing he did on the bass that stands out. Competent by all means but nothing more.

Rutita1 likes this.
  17. S☼I

So not the worst bass player ever, then.

Wookey likes this.
  18. S☼I

I hate all that "I'm still connected to the streets but here lemme namedrop some of my millionaire and billionaire friends" shit.

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

So a bass player is only any good if he's super technical? Fuck that. He's written bass lines that most of the world knows. That's what it's about. I've got no time for muso snobishness.

D'wards and S☼I like this.
  20. TruXta

TruXta tired

:D I only said he wasn't special.

21. TruXta

TruXta tired

Oh fuck off with this reverse snobbery. Ridiculous line of argument. I might as well claim Sid Vicious was a genius because he inspired generations of little shits.

Besides, you're putting words in my mouth. Please don't.

22. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Plenty of cringeworthy action on that front, oh what an interview. I was amused that he didnt try to pretend recent U2 stuff is any good and had some Bono mans burden excuses for their crapitude.

S☼I likes this.
  23. S☼I

Besides, saying McCartney isn't great at the bass is like saying Mo Farah is rubbish at 100 metres.

seeformiles and editor like this.
  24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Then explain why a bass player who created some massively memorable bass lines in hugely popular songs can be dismissed as 'competent but nothing more.'

Define what makes a great player in your book then.

25. TruXta

TruXta tired

Oh come ON

26. S☼I

I know! I'm attacking Quincy Jones through you :D

27. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

LA Weekly 20 Best Bass Players Of All Time:

In depth study here: The Genius of Paul McCartney's Bass Lines | Disc Makers Blog

seeformiles and Wookey like this.
  28. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

The more people talk about McCartney, the more the silence of the non-hoards rushing to Ringos defence reverberates around the chasms of Quincy.

29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I think Ringo is a great drummer too. Not technically up there with the greats, but still a very good drummer.

30. TruXta

TruXta tired