Quin & Axtens Building Brixton Road

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by ricbake, Jul 13, 2018.

1. ricbake

ricbake working out how

The Quin & Axtens building is the whole block that includes Barnardos, Mothercare, Brixton Grill, Phonox Nightclub, Poundland, The Ex Job Centre, CEX, SW9 Game, Garda Shoes and the odd little nail bar/corset shop. The Job Centre had part of the 1st floor and offices at 8-10 Stockwell Avenue, above ASC (Artist Studios) have access to the upper floors via 246 Stockwell Road.

The old Job Centre on Brixton Road has been cheaply altered and rebranded "Brixton Market"
    Looks like it will become some form of short term small shopping arcade.
    The Artist Studios are going to expand probably on very short periodic Lease into the back office upstairs space of the Job Centre. Studios - ASC Studios

Mothercare appear to be preparing to close down and I believe that Poundland and Phonox (Colombo South) Leases have only about 6 months to run.

The owners Crown Property/Golfrate have a huge chunk of the middle of Brixton there which they will probably want to capitalise on fairly soon.

keeping an eye on the planning applications....

Pictures
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/xPzoDXnE6mRPSfg36

2. ricbake

ricbake working out how

Governside Ltd are having an Exhibition and Public Consultation on proposals for a Commercial and Leisure redevelopment of the building - Monday and Tuesday 10th & 11th December in the basement of Brixton Mall
    or contact dhogan@quatro-pr.co.uk

CH1 and editor like this.
  3. ricbake

ricbake working out how

ASC Studios now occupy the 3 upper floors and have about 45 of the nearly 150 spaces occupied

Also an open studio event on the 7th and 8th
    upload_2018-11-30_14-32-3.png

editor likes this.
  4. madolesance

madolesance Well-Known Member

2012!

ASC studios had open studios last weekend.Also the majority of the studios are taken.

5. ricbake

ricbake working out how

Doh!

But they certainly haven't let all the spaces in there yet - maybe they aren't fit for habitation yet.

6. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Do you have times?

Who is Governside? If you Google the name it throws up a 250 page CVA agreement with New Look - though didn't have time to download that as pdf and search it.

Are Governside a micro version of property mall giant Intu, who Mike "Sports Direct" Ashley is seeking to intimidate by cutting off rents from his (newly acquired) House of Fraser stores?

7. ricbake

ricbake working out how

I think Governside is part of the Crown Properties /Golfrate group of Asif Aziz
    Can't remember the times off hand - its late afternoon early evening

CH1 likes this.
  8. ricbake

ricbake working out how

4 pm to 8 pm both days

CH1 likes this.
  9. editor

editor Forked with electrons

Golfrate are a particularly unpleasant breed of developer.

Here’s an extract from a January 2011 Parliamentary debate discussing Golfrate’s activities:

10. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

The development sounds another bit of excess, according to this brief description on the Brixton Society website.

I wonder if the developers are proposing to retain the Fascist ornamentation on the facade?

I am told the horizontal bits shown here are in the style of fascisti (bundles of twigs) - as favoured by Mussolini and the Blackshirts. If this was a post World War II reconstruction the architects were evidently seriously behind the times - as I believe current architects will be seen to be when their vile boxes are reviewed when Lambeth Archives come to issue "Lambeth Architecture 2000 - 2035".
    Quin.JPG
    PS - I think the clock has already gone for a Burton!

ricbake likes this.
  11. editor

It hasn't worked for years, but it was definitely there recently.

CH1 likes this.
  12. editor

13. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

Interesting to read an extension to the existing nightclub, i wonder does that mean they will be working with Phonox to include and potentially improve it? Or just boot them out and create a different, obviously much worse, nightclub?

14. editor

Given that Phonox are part of the ultra-rich and well connected Columbo Group, I imagine they'll be running the show.

15. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

I have always been of the opinion that the nightclubs run by them are one of, if not the most reasonably priced in London, out of clubs that book big name DJ's. When their first nightclub, The Nest in Dalston, opened it was £5 entry every night it was open and reasonable drinks prices too. Phonox often has a pretty fucking famous DJ playing on a Sunday for £10 entry. Sven Vath played Sunday just gone, and although ticket prices were higher, that is a very impressive booking for such a small club.

I have no doubt they have done very well out of their enterprises, including their pubs, but i dont actually think they are a particularly bad bunch to have around.

alcopop likes this.
  16. editor

In my personal experience they can be quite bullying and manipulative if you don't do things their way. I don't like them. Anyone that asks me to review their venue but then insists that I only use their glossy hand-picked press shots can do one.

17. ricbake

ricbake working out how

Golfrate will have the upper hand as I believe Phonox's Lease is due for renewal mid 2019 and the appeal of the premises with the Academy trade on the door step makes it very desirable. Colombo will be asked what they would like, but will have to take what is offered.
    The expansion of the club will probably include the failed grill shop and more of the basement. Can't think how they would include the roof top bar in that demise.

18. ricbake

ricbake working out how

Well the developers really want to develop!
    • A 250 bed hotel with roof bar
    • 50,000 sq ft offices
    • 34,000 sq ft retail (3 Large multi level and 2 medium shops)
    • 11,000 sq ft of nightclub
    • 9,000 sq ft of "studio" space
    Doesn't take any account of the lack of room to access or service the building which is a problem in its present form.

upload_2018-12-11_8-37-45.png

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xPzoDXnE6mRPSfg36

Davesw9 and editor like this.