Quick question, probably regarding IP addresses

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by planetgeli, Sep 5, 2018.

1. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

I dunno, not tech savvy.

I have a brother I fell out with a few years ago. He has twitter. Been looking it up, periodically, in the last few months, both from PC and IPad. Other day he said something spectacularly stupid and I couldn't resist replying (I know, I know), from my twitter account (on the PC) that was set up 6 years ago and has roughly 3 tweets.

Am now blocked from seeing his tweets. On the PC. But not on Ipad. (At home, surely same IP? Am I wrong?) How does that work?

2. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat for the workers' breakfast

Sounds odd.

Fairly sure that one twitter user can block another, based on blocking that twitter account, without anybody needing to go near IP addresses.

Is it possible you're seeing an old / cached version of the page on one device? Or that the blocking only happens when you log out? I've never knowingly been blocked by anyone on twitter so not sure what you see when someone has.

And for that matter, you are sure you're using the same twitter account aren't you? you haven't ended up with two somehow?

SpookyFrank and mauvais like this.
  3. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

Sure of everything I've posted. Definitely not two accounts. Definitely blocked on PC (immediately after replying with sarcasm to his bollocks). Definitely not blocked on IPad. (Though without logging in to my twitter. But I don't log in to my twitter on PC and am still blocked)

4. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat for the workers' breakfast

:confused:

I'm sure it would be possible for the Twitter management to block a particular IP address, but would have thought it would have to be something pretty drastic to get them to do it.

I know if you have a twitter account you can set it so that what you post can only be seen by people who you have followed.

You must have been logged in to twitter if you posted a response to one of his tweets, in which case he could have blocked your account.

But you can read someone's tweets if you're not logged in to twitter, unless the user has set things so their stuff can only be seen by people they have approved.

for example anyone on the internet can view mike urban (@urban75) on Twitter without being logged in, but you can't reply to anything unless you're logged in.

5. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Sweetcorn, Seagulls and Wasps are Brilliant!

I thought blocks only worked if you're logged onto the twitter account - so if you clear the twitter cookie and then find the account via a search engine or direct URL you should be able to see it.

Granted, the functionality is a bit limited if you're not logged on - you can't delve into the details of someone's account, for example. And obviously can't post a tweet to call someone a cunt.

Lazy Llama likes this.
  6. moochedit

moochedit Mr Mooched It

Maybe try clearing all cookies on the pc browser? (How you do that depends what browser you use)

7. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

In any case it's probably a blessing in disguise.

planetgeli likes this.
  8. salem

salem Well-Known Member

Seems like it's just a case of being logged in (and blocked) Vs not logged in (and therefore the system doesn't know your blocked)

Lazy Llama likes this.