Question Time tonight

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by treelover, Mar 6, 2014.

1. treelover

treelover Well-Known Member

Anyone see it?, from Barking, bit fiery, not at first with such a right wing panel, but then a homeless guy was getting very angry and pretty unpleasant about immigration and "how as an indigenous local he is being unfairly treated", we didn't get to hear his final words and he walked out and was shouted down by the liberal audience, which considering the BNP have had numerous council seats in the area didn't seem completely representative. What was surprising was that Rachel Reeves, usually just a robot , went off message and got quite angry with the audience, saying, "they shouldn't have shouted him down" and they won't change people's opinions by doing so, and that ultimately people would concur with him on something's.

2. goldenecitrone

goldenecitrone ubi sunt

Got shouted down by the multi-ethnic audience who were angered by his 'immigrants get given everything on a plate' bollocks, you mean.

fogbat, AnIdiot, ddraig and 4 others like this.
  3. treelover

I'm not defending his comments.

4. Corax

Corax Luke 5:16

Saw it. Reeves was correct.

frogwoman and Spanky Longhorn like this.
  5. treelover

not according to Golden

campulna posted this on the other thread, hope he or she doesn't mind me reposting it here.

Greebo likes this.
  6. CNT36

CNT36 Not carbon nano tubes

I still feel a bit grubby now.

7. Awesome Wells

Awesome Wells charged vacuum emboitment Banned

So no questions about poverty in Britain, just endless bollocks about Russia and the BBC's favourite topic to provoke: immigration?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  8. CNT36

CNT36 Not carbon nano tubes

Yeah, the bollocks most people in the Barking audience wanted to talk about. BBC bastards.

Mr Moose likes this.
  9. nino_savatte

nino_savatte No pasaran!

Are you sure every single one of them was 'liberal'? That 'homeless' bloke's spiel (we only have his word that he's homeless) was straight out of the BNP handbook of stock phrases.

British jobs for British wurkahs!

caleb, SpookyFrank and Greebo like this.
  10. brogdale

brogdale Coming to terms with late onset Anarchism

Or maybe he was a fan of Gordon Brown?

nino_savatte likes this.
  11. seventh bullet

seventh bullet red mullet

Before it quickly went in the bin, I noticed the latest copy of Useless Seven Days A Week's Arena mentions Miliband's bullshit on cheap foreign agency labour (bullshit in that Labour won't combat the attacks and increased exploitation of unskilled/low-skilled workers both UK-born or migrant while dressing up the same old divide and rule as fake concern for plebs like me).

And I know that I never went to university but I can spell workers correctly.

12. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Baroudeur...

Have any of you urbs ever been in the audience?
    I was once when it was from Grimsby some years back, I remember Lembit Opik, Margaret Hodge and George Galloway on the panel.
    Three hours of my life I won't get back, at that time they recorded it and it finishes half an hour before it goes out.
    If they didn't like it or something naughty got said they'd record another version that would go out ten minutes in front of what the audience were saying.
    Have they changed this? I have only watched it a couple of times since, I was and am not surprised it is all just smoke and mirrors.
    I was sat at the very back looking into the roof for most of the time, you were not allowed to move once filming had started.

Greebo likes this.
  13. brogdale

Bejesus that QT last night was dire..but then they all are. I can't quite understand why I keep finding myself watching the nonsense. I've never been on QT, but I did go to our local "Any Questions" and actually got a mention (@ 35.40) by Dimblebum the Younger! (Question was about fecking royal wedding....and I was the two-armed man)

14. Delroy Booth

Delroy Booth Off to join the SPGB. Have fun. Banned

yeah I was in manchester I gave George Osborne a mouthful. Bit cringey in retrospect but I don't regret it, got chance to give him a hard time and did so.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  15. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

No, she wasn't. She was saying that whether or not you agree with the bloke's views you have to listen to him, because his experiences are still valid. Except the experiences he claimed to have had were of things that simply don't happen. He's apparently experienced immigrants being handed everything they desire on a taxpayer-funded silver platter. He'd have had you believe his home was effectively taken from him and given to immigrants, when I suspect his actual circumstances are rather more complicated than that.

Yes, you have to listen to people. But once you've listened to someone for long enough to be certain that all they have to say are decades old manufactured racist soundbites which have no bearing in reality, then it's OK to stop listening and shout at the cunt until he fucks off back to the festering dumpster that is, frankly, far too good for him.

The bloke likening immigration to a military invasion, I also reckon it's pretty safe to not listen to him.

fogbat, AnIdiot and spartacus mills like this.
  16. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

Video?

treelover likes this.
  17. Delroy Booth

Nope, thank god.

18. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

I couldn't help but wonder if the homeless man left early because he didn't particularly feel like hanging around in a room full of black and asian people after the remarks he'd made.

Personally when I was homeless I'd never have voluntarily left a nice warm building with comfy seats and some form of entertainment.

muscovyduck, Ax^ and brogdale like this.
  19. nino_savatte

nino_savatte No pasaran!

This ^^^

Sadly, QT is nothing more than entertainment. I almost felt a Debord moment coming on there...

20. brogdale

Indeed.

Bur reading (one of) the Stephen Lawrence threads has just reminded me of a really great comment from the young black guy in last night's QT...(the one who asked the Q about whether or not ethnic minorities can trust the filth)...who said something along the lines of..."why will we have to wait 21 years to find out that Mark Duggan was shot illegally?"
    :thumbs:

21. Dandred

Dandred Mmmmm Beer!

Unfortunately quite a lot of people think like that. :(

22. Awesome Wells

Awesome Wells charged vacuum emboitment Banned

Those two were probably BNP supporters.

23. kenny g

kenny g Most Welcome!

The BNP are pretty much fucked in Barking and Dagenham. As for UKIP though....

24. Gerry1time

Gerry1time pities the neurotypical

Isn't people refusing to engage with the views of far right morons generally how the far right ends up in power?

25. kenny g

kenny g Most Welcome!

Agree that it is pretty difficult to win people over if you don't listen to them. However, it is a bit of a leap to say that the reason the far right gain power is due to people not listening to them.

26. Gerry1time

Gerry1time pities the neurotypical

I'm not saying it's the reason why, just saying it's often the political context in which it happens.

27. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

What was Osborne at that point (waits for more, ahem, creative answers)? Was he a young backbencher, shadow chancellor or the full blown cunt we know today?

I haven't seen last night's yet, but they do seem to have a disproportionate number of Daily Fail hacks on it. Mad Mel last week, Amanda "immigrant" Platell last night, even Littlejohn once I think.

28. Corax

Corax Luke 5:16

I didn't take that much from what she said tbh. To me it came across as simply saying that if you only hound and jeer at people like him then you'll never change their minds, but just make them become more entrenched in their prejudices.

frogwoman likes this.
  29. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

We should always be aware of why people say things and the social context of how beliefs come about. This doesn't mean that we need to compromise with them or think they are at all worthwhile. Sometimes ridicule and ostracism are appropriate responses.

30. Delroy Booth

He was shadow chancellor. (but still a gobshite, obviously)