1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question: is Redstar Camberwell...closed?

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by ThunderCat, Apr 19, 2007.

1. ThunderCat

ThunderCat Fed and Not Dead

I have heard from other members of the forum that the resident DJ's have left Redstar... for now. :( I have walked past there a couple of times and the place looks barren and empty, ladders and stuff thrown about the place. It was my favourite hellhole, and now all i can find on the web are gigs taking place there on random days etc.

What is its current status? Will Friday nights ever be the same without it?
    Or am i just chatting ball plop?

I miss Redstar. I love it there. :)
    If anyone knows when the next club night is then please spill the beans.

Or if it will ever be the same again, at least until somebody else arrives to take over the decks and spin some shit.

Cheers. ThunderCat.

2. bang

bang i hear voices

how empty does it look..like abandoned and in need of squatting:confused: ;)

3. Dubversion

Dubversion Gorn Banned

they didn't have 'resident DJs', as such.

the Unsound crew are no longer there, and the last I heard the future is uncertain because it might go up for sale.

4. zenie

zenie >^^<

It looks like it always does...:p

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

If that's the case, I'll be surprised if it stays as a pub.

:(

6. GarfieldLeChat

GarfieldLeChat fucking awesome but wrong

i'd be suprised if it reminas a building... rather than being turned into land... say after a mysterious (and yet utterly predictable) fire ... not sayign that developers are shitt cunt's or nowt...

7. 43mhz

43mhz doh!

Is it not listed? I thought there was some history to the place

8. corporate whore

corporate whore oh, thought you were dead

Cycled past it last night - workmen doing stuff, possibly boarding up the windows..

And history? It's been there about 150 years, not thats a barrier to 'change'

9. ThunderCat

:eek: cunts, utter cunts. Bet itll get turned into a middle class hotel or sumthin to try and up the value of Camberwell or something pathetic. I just cant believe that because one lot of drum'n'bass heads have buggered off, that nobody else is thinking of stepping in to try and save a seriously wicked place with a laidback druggered up atmosphere. So many nights ive forgotten who i am there! and who does free entry nowadays besides?!! ill miss it BIG TIME. :(

10. Dubversion

Dubversion Gorn Banned

to be fair, i think you know fuck all about the background - lots of other factors are involved and it's a bit lame to start banging on based on no information

added to which, why not suggest to a developer or the council that they have a responsibility to save a place with a 'laidback, druggered up atmosphere', I'm sure it'd go terribly well :)

11. ThunderCat

obvs what i said was incredibly selfish, i love raving there, what can i say? :D I know i know nothing of the background, but im only interested in the fact another killer friday night has been torn down, as i initially mentioned. Would you rather a hotel instead then? ;) lol.

12. Dubversion

Dubversion Gorn Banned

no, no i wouldn't. I'd just rather people thought a little harder about what they posted sometimes

13. Pieface

Pieface New Member

I think she's taking the cunts to be whoever plans to sell, Dub - not the last promoters to leave.

14. Dubversion

Dubversion Gorn Banned

i know, but the whole post was basically gibberish..

15. Pieface

Pieface New Member

you're so harsh sometimes :mad: !

16. Dubversion

Dubversion Gorn Banned

Life's Harsh!

17. GarfieldLeChat

GarfieldLeChat fucking awesome but wrong

wearing tight chaffing cavas pants with no softener in sub zero tempritures with a 5 mile walk to the loo, that's harsh lifes more hmmmmm if you ask me....

18. ThunderCat

Would this site be worth its salt if we all sat around being politically correct? *laughs cheekily* Im sure a lot worse has been said on here to get an ear bashing! Give over!

1) I love RedStar
    2) I WAS talking about the people who own RedStar (cause the DJs were absolutly amazing, no disrespect! Sorry if that was misunderstood)
    3) Dub, no hard feelings, i love talking in my little sub language but it aint gibberish! Im sure you dont live your life out of a dictionary eiether. :D

Thanks everyone!

My question has been answered. :cool:

On a sadder note, RIP RedStar.
    It will be sorely missed.
    Might have to go to see the Toxic Reasons on the 22nd April, JUST to see the inside of that place before its washed down the plug hole. :(

19. Pieface

Pieface New Member

Well head to Italy if you enjoyed the Redstar nights - there's a thread called Sunbound Unsound in this forum that'll give the info - that or their myspace. They're in the south for a couple of weeks doing what they did at the redstar but in the sun and with a beach.

20. ThunderCat

Sun, Sea and Unsound! YES! Cheers for that. ;)
    *heads off to other thread for info*

21. Nixon

Nixon peanut butter n.w.o.

Aye that's bollocks.I loved up that place too :( I have nowhere local to party to drum and bass now..

22. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

Workmen boarding it up??

So whats happened to the planned ABA SHANTI/roots night this coming Saturday, presumably thats all off now? :confused:

This WAS the poster for it, but may very well now be out of date??

[​IMG]

Reliable word on its cancellation or perhaps relocation (I've googled but I cant find anything) would be appreciated ... Ta.

23. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

Please help me out here folks ... cheers :)

24. bouncer_the_dog

bouncer_the_dog I draw things

I don't know about aba shanti, but didn't it used to be at Brixton rec?

I went to the opening night of the Redstar when it had free booze:cool: It was a Camberwell student favourite.. But wasn't it run by the same people as the Dogstar, who are quite unpopular on these boards?

maybe it will go back to being the Father Red Cap

25. Dubversion

Dubversion Gorn Banned

they still do that, but the Rec is closing for 3 months

that was, what, 12 years ago or more? changed hands a LONG time ago. Now owned by the people who own Jamm etc etc etc

26. bouncer_the_dog

I think it must have been '99 ... back in ye olde days :oops: :D

27. zenie

zenie >^^<

I think it was either 99 or 2000 it was the only place in Camberwell with such a late license :D

28. Spion

Spion I hear ya

Takes me back. It used to be a regular haunt, but I was never mad about it. A bit boozy for the pillhead i was at the time. :D

29. bouncer_the_dog

I rember it would be college bar --> barbushka --> quick one in the funky monkey --> redstar --> that kebab shop.

The problem with the all new Redstar back then was that they'd show films like the matrix on TV's above everyone's head and I'd end up ignoring everyone and watching that instead..

30. zenie

zenie >^^<

That sounds familiar -Barbushka's changed hands about 6 times since then :D

I found it was the *really* dire music they played that always put me off The Redstar :D