Quentin Tarantino defends Roman Polanski

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by bemused, Feb 7, 2018.

1. bemused

bemused Well-Known Member

Quentin, the man who seems to put the N word in every film at least 50 times discusses how Roman Polanski's victim of a brutal rape was probably okay with it.

https://jezebel.com/heres-audio-of-quentin-tarantino-defending-roman-polans-1822745916

I'm sure people who rightly queue up to kick Tarantino in the balls, but, let's not forget that Hollywood LOVES Polanski.

They awarded him the Oscar for best director 25 years after he fled the country rather than face a court. You can find video of the audience giving him a standing ovation.

That's right, Hollywood awarded someone on the run for child sex crimes their most prestigious award and cheered whilst they did it.

2. dylanredefined

dylanredefined Not a house elf a tiger

Well drugged kids don't say no.:mad:
    I guess if you are talented enough you can get away with stuff.

3. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

He's not having a good week.

HoratioCuthbert likes this.
  4. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

I always thought he was a twat, but this is something else altogether. Career suicide, hopefully.

5. HoratioCuthbert

HoratioCuthbert It's only silence failing

Read a slightly discomforting interview with him and Uma Thurmann not long ago from 2004, also featuring wanker interviewer Erik Hedergaard who was behaving like misogynist prick throughout. Thurman clearly appears on edge from the beginning....

Holy shit, didn't actually realise she'd finally said her piece! just seen it on google I was sure she was going to have something to say about Tarantino as well when she hinted at speaking out at a later time.

Quentin Tarantino and Uma Thurman: A Magnificent Obsession

6. likesfish

likesfish officaly hardest and most tooled up urbanite:)

Polkanski is a nonce anyone who defends him is in favor of child rape so fuck him and fuck his defenders .

The victim is rightly sick of the whole affair and has moved on no reason to let the guy get away with it though drugging and raping a child isnt ever acceptable or explainable or defendable.

tbf actors and assorted hangers on really shouldnt have their views on anything other than acting taken seriously they basically get to play lets pretend forever and behave like the overly pampered manchildren they are.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    PippinTook likes this.
  7. Johnny Vodka

Johnny Vodka The Abominable Scotsman

I'll be highly surprised if this is the end of Tarantino.

8. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

Will you go and see his films?

Mation and HoratioCuthbert like this.
  9. Johnny Vodka

I can accept that people who make the films and music I like or write the books I like might not share my values, or put their foot in it occasionally. A film isn't just the director anyway, is it? The thing most likely to put me off watching future Tarantino films is the fact that his last two were excruciatingly boring...

10. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Be a Pisces. Jam.

Wait...someone on the Howard Stern show said something vile and offensive? Holy shit!

Johnny Vodka likes this.
  11. likesfish

likesfish officaly hardest and most tooled up urbanite:)

Tarantino is an arse made some ok movies though.

Polanski is a criminal who should have served serious time anyone who defended him needs to take a long hard look in the mirror.

If you cure cancer, bring war to an end etc you might get a past for being a shit of a person. Churning out two hours of entertainment not so much.

12. TruXta

TruXta tired

Tarantino's had a change of heart now apparently. His PR person was probably quite insistent that he did.

13. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

Will you go and see his films?

14. sunnysidedown

sunnysidedown Well-Known Member

Hitchcock set the trend.

15. Johnny Vodka

Nah. Not been to the cinema in 10+ years.

16. Streathamite

Streathamite ideological dogmatist

Hey, I liked Django Unchained!.
    But the rest of your post is spot on. Unfortunately, great artists can be - and often are - completely arseholes (see: Jack Nicholson, Jim Morriston)

17. xenon

xenon Carne Por la Machina

Have you ever paid see a film? Will you pay to see a film again?
    There are subsequent questions of course.

18. xenon

Eiffel one will never read, watch, listen to anything by a misogynist.

Except if it’s, interesting, entertaining, otherwise good, fun.

19. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

I struggle with this, and don't have a good answer.

A faceless techno producer comes out as racist/homophobic (both happened recently to relatively high profile DJs/prods), should we not enjoy their music anymore? It's a bit different to the rock band persona thing, where people are there to show their appreciation to the musician, in person, etc. Most of my favourite producers, I couldn't tell you what they look like, or if they're male, female or a group. And even when I've been to see the DJs who are playing the records by the producers whose music I like...I couldn't tell you what the DJ looked like either.

So, good music is good music. There's no direct feedback to the racist/whatever cunt who made the tune that x amount of people in Leeds are 'Havin' it Large' to his tune...so no harm, right?

Erm, not sure, tbh.

I'm a big fan of Moodymann. Possibly my favourite musician. But he's very militant when it comes to his racial views. Or he was. He's said some stuff in the past (cf Lauren Hill) that implied he doesn't like people like me (white) being into music made by people like him (black). Or, maybe that's taking it a bit far. He was mostly ranting against white producers, I think. It was a long time ago, and he's mellowed a bit since, but he said it. Thought it.

And I've been there, stood on the dancefloor, loving what he's doing, but in the back of my mind wondering, "is he secretly disgusted that he's playing for a 99.9% white crowd?"

It'a a tricky question, and I don't know the answer.

AND, I make no direct comparison with Black nationalism / homophobic views/ whatever above...I'm just highlighting views I think are distasteful (to me), and alienating to some/most, whether they're illegal, potentially justified, or whatever.

20. xenon

And what is the cut-off point. I like this music but then found out they are like this. Is it okay then if you torrent stuff afterwards.

These are half baked musings. Of course we don’t want to give money to those who we find morally reprehensible. Quinton Tarantino is a fucking twat by the way. Just to get that in the open. I don’t think I’ve ever paid to watch any of these films, can I claim some moral high ground. I thought reservoir of dogs was his best. He just went all misogynist after that I suppose.

21. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

His Polanski comments were gross, but they were 15 years, not hard to believe he has had a genuine change in thinking since. I find it harder to believe his claims he didn't know much about what his friend Harvey Weinstein was up to...

22. Johnny Vodka

Didn't half of Hollywood, male and female?

23. TruXta

TruXta tired

So why is he only speaking up now? He's had 15 years to correct the record.

24. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

The guy probably talks shit all day every day, I'd be surprised if he even remembered much about the interview after a month. Or if he did remember it, he probably thought people would either have forgotten or stopped caring.

likesfish likes this.
  25. TruXta

TruXta tired

Which still makes him a cunt tbf.

26. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

Yep, he's an idiot - from the remarks, it doesn't even sound like he knows much about the facts of the Polanski case, he sounds more like he's talking about David Bowie.

27. seeformiles

seeformiles Lost in the wood

This really annoys me about him too. Jackie Brown is one of my favourite films but his use of the N-word jars quite a bit. In Pulp Fiction, he uses his (awful) cameo to say it many times himself. Django Unchained is another level altogether and completely gratuitous - like he had a bet to see how many times he could use it and chose a historical context where he could maximise it. The scenes with Leo DeCaprio are excruciating and could have been severely edited or even cut out altogether - ruins the film for me.

28. Idris2002

Idris2002 incels to the gulag

Sometimes you have to throw the whole Hollywood away.

29. 2hats

2hats

Shave it all off?

MadeInBedlam and Pickman's model like this.
  30. Idris2002

Idris2002 incels to the gulag

If by "shave it all off" you mean "kill it with fire", yes.