Qatar World Cup: £3m payments to officials' corruption claim

Discussion in 'football' started by editor, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Wilf

Wilf Dances like a Christian

Presumably the media coverage of the Qatar WC would have been/will be just as booze sponsored as normal outside of Qatar?

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Western fans. And South American fans. And African fans. Some of them all like to drink, you see.

3. The Boy

The Boy danny la rouge is probably wrong.

How about addressing the points in post?

But since you're being like that, I'll happily amend that part of the sentence to "foreign football fans" if you prefer.

4. Wilf

There's no reason why there shouldn't be a booze free WC, in principle, but every reason why FIFA w/should reject such a bid. However booze is pretty low on the list of reasons why it should never have been Qatar. In fact I'd never have voted for them even if they'd paid me. ;)

editor likes this.
  5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

What points? Football is supposed to be inclusive, so hosting its biggest tournament in an oppressive, anti-gay country with an appalling record on human rights and workers rights, and with temperatures so high that it will prove uncomfortable for both players and supporters is a fucking awful idea.

That fact that any supporter daring to indulge in a pint before a game may be subjected to 100 lashes for their troubles just underlines what a devastatingly stupid choice this is.

QueenOfGoths likes this.
  6. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Was it a pint of Carling?

7. Wilf

No, that's non-alcoholic.

SarfLondoner likes this.
  8. The Boy

As I've stated explicitly at least once, I don't agree with the WC being held in Qatar. My initial post on this thread was taking exception with the idea that, when deciding which nation they should choose to host the World Cup, the availability of alcohol for wealthy tourists should be one of the deciding factors. Again, I've stated this quite clearly a number of times on this thread.

9. The Boy

The 100 lashes could be for daring to drink something other than the "official fizzy piss of the World Cup"?

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I don't think it's a good idea to host the World Cup in a country so oppressive country that people are flogged if they have a drink.

I don't think it's a good idea to host the World Cup in a country where flogging is legal either, come to think of it. Perhaps you think differently.

11. The Boy

Well yes, I'm not sure it's great to hold anything anywhere people are flogged for anything. I'd happily agree with you on that, but it's not really alcohol specific iyswim?

I just don't understand why the availability of alcohol in and of itself should be any sort of deciding factor.

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Has anyone actually made that claim in isolation?

13. DotCommunist

DotCommunist slowtime

If we do have to rule qatar off because it was bought, do all the officials have to give qatar back their bribe money?

14. Sunray

Sunray Its sunny somewhere.

In Qatar's case, pretty much every tourist that visits is common scum in the wealth stakes.

editor likes this.
  15. Wilf

All that double glazing will have to be uninstalled. :(

16. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

Availability of alcohol shouldn't be a consideration, tbf. Just the inevitable happy outcome of ticking all the other boxes. ;)

17. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

No takesies backsies :mad:

18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

19. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Who could, and should, host it? Australia always seemed like the best option to me. England also have arguably the best case to host again.

Australia were voted out in the first round of bidding which now seems well suss, and left (apart from Qatar) South Korea, Japan and United States as the only other running bids. Strikes me a little odd to give it to any of them again after they've hosted the World Cup already in recent times. OK USA would be like 28 years by 2022 and arguably football is way bigger here now than 20 years ago, but somewhere like Spain or England would be decades away from ever hosting by this point and it's got a much bigger following and dedicated facilities. Spain's climate though during June and July can be very hot though.

Australia, having never hosted and with is massive legacy of sport and acceptable climate surely would have been a decent shout - only thing against it would be the traditionalists argument about national and cultural legacy - but that didn't stop South Africa and to a lesser extent Japan/Korea being largely successful tournaments. Surely nothing could be as bad as USA 94.

Then there's Netherlands/Belgium. Never hosted it before, favourable climate, good facilities and a huge domestic appetite.

Qatar FFS.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
    editor likes this.
  20. Maurice Picarda

Maurice Picarda Actually, might as well flounce.

Indonesia? It only fell through because the government of the day didn't support it. There's a general election in July so every opportunity for the bid to be revived.

21. littlebabyjesus

May fail the alcohol test by then.*

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/27/w...of-alcohol-worries-tourism-industry.html?_r=0

*probably not, tbf, although drunken loutery at a WC could push them over the edge.

22. TheHoodedClaw

TheHoodedClaw acknowledging ur soup leg

What was wrong with USA 94? The final was dull, but it had huge attendances throughout (and a fantastic game that I managed to miss seeing four out of the five goals - and the one I did see was a penalty)

23. littlebabyjesus

Enough enthusiasm from immigrants to carry it through. Not sure most Americans even noticed it.

24. Gingerman

Gingerman Is a great bunch of lads.....

Gave us this great moment :D

TheHoodedClaw likes this.
  25. skyscraper101

I reckon that instead of an England World Cup Bid, the various FA's should get together and consider a UK and Ireland World Cup. This would be a much more inclusive event for both whole nations and utilise the excellent facilities of the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff and the Aviva Stadium in Dublin. Surely only hardcore nationalists could get pissed off by that idea, probably mostly English ones, but clealy most of the games would be played in England and the final would be at Wembley so they can be appeased.

The only complication I can see is how you'd logistically allow for all five nations to be represented, particularly when probably nothing in Northern Ireland would be used.

26. littlebabyjesus

... And there you have it. There are forces in world football that would jump on any excuse to force Britain to have a Britain team, hence the historic reluctance to take part in football at the Olympics.

27. TheHoodedClaw

TheHoodedClaw acknowledging ur soup leg

It's interesting that it was the Sunday Times that may have uncovered the smoking gun. Their corporation-mates Fox paid a lot for the US rights to the 2018 and 2022 WC, and it is very much in their interest that the 2022 one is in the northern hemisphere summer, so as not to clash with the NFL.

28. skyscraper101

I was reading recently that only 12% of Americans were aware of it happening at the time, and the sports headlines after the opening game were still running with Baseball as the lead story.

29. skyscraper101

Yeah... but it just isn't gonna happen outside of the Olympics. Too much history, too much rivalry, even FIFA have to accept that.

30. Maurice Picarda

Maurice Picarda Actually, might as well flounce.

With Russia hosting in 2022, the next opportunity for a European World Cup is 2034. By which time goodness knows what the political shape of the British Isles would be.