1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pubs we've lost 2014-2015: The Grosvenor, Stockwell and the Canterbury Arms, Brixton

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Dec 1, 2013.

1. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

As if Ozzy bars are so great?

editor likes this.
  2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The loss of the Canterbury and the Grosvenor is really going to leave a hole in Brixton's scene because there's really no places like either of them where people can use the back rooms for their own thing.

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

4. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

5. SpamMisery

SpamMisery I bet you think this tagline's about you?

I dragged my other half into the Canterbury Arms on Sunday night because I hadn't been in for years and on hearing it was closing I thought it would be nice to see how it had changed. Bloke behind the bar got stroppy because my other half didn't want a drink. Not a single other person in there. Can't say I'll be going back

6. MAD-T-REX

MAD-T-REX Well-Known Member

It's odd how some establishments would rather have nothing if they can't get as much out of you as possible.

I rocked up to the the ill-fated Jazz On The Hill on a Sunday with five mates; there was a band playing but no-one was drinking inside. This was explained by the £8 entry fee to an empty bar on a nice afternoon. We went next door to the Commercial instead, which I imagine is what every single person who considered going into Jazz ended up doing.

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The Canterbury's less than perfectly honed customer relations skills are pretty well known.

colacubes likes this.
  8. leanderman

leanderman Street Party: July 2

Seems the pub is being retained - in some form

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm pretty confident that it won't be a pub. At least not anything I'd describe as a pub.

10. cuppa tee

It looks that way according to the plans, but the extension to the ground floor might be necessary to squeeze more flats on top
    one things for sure it won't be the same pub, and that is a loss to the area and beyond, I am trying to be optimistic but it's hard to imagine any future
    premises will not be tainted by the whiff of pulled pork...........

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
    Dr Nookie and editor like this.
  11. leanderman

leanderman Street Party: July 2

Champagne & Fromage Deux

isvicthere? likes this.
  12. DietCokeGirl

DietCokeGirl [Your Ad Here]

Heard rumour the Grosvenor closes end of this month, can anyone confirm?

13. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

I thought it was some time in August

14. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

I was told 1st weekend in August.

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Yep. It's really upsetting.

16. cuppa tee

thinking about what's next for the grosvenor I checked the Lambeth website for progress on golfrates application, a decision is still pending but the public comments reveal a lot of opposition including objections from the Brixton society, camra and a local councillor amongst others

http://planning.lambeth.gov.uk/onli...iveTab=neighbourComments&keyVal=N6L4HVBO67000th

will be interesting to see the outcome, specially as a refusal will properly piss on the developers bonfire

17. Orang Utan

I thought the problem with The Grosvenor was the block opposite being built?

18. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

The much bigger problem is that golfrate want to turn the upstairs of the pub into flats.

19. Orang Utan

I'm sure the landlord John said he was selling cos he knew the new residents would moan about the noise. And are Golfrate actually buying? I got the impression it was still on offer

20. colacubes

Golfrate already own it. They bought it last year.

21. Orang Utan

Ah I see. Sorry. I'm always smashed when I'm in there and am probs not the best listener.

Shit. When I went there. :(

22. colacubes

Depressing innit. I used to toddle up there for a drink about once a week and it's really sad :(

editor likes this.
  23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The new luxury flats opposite would have killed off the music just as surely.

24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

gros1.jpg

gros.jpg

:(
    [Pics by Tallulah/Ian James]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
    MellySingsDoom and Nanker Phelge like this.
  25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

MellySingsDoom likes this.
  26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

This comment was added to the B Buzz article:

27. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

28. clandestino

clandestino no llevar papel

Great news! Maybe Golfrate can get on with reopening the pub now!

editor likes this.
  29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Here's the text of the refusal:

Crispy likes this.
  30. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Interesting - so the potential noise from the pub actually *helped* in getting planning permission refused?