pubs that rock

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by hash tag, Feb 14, 2019.

1. hash tag

hash tag never too old

Are there any decent pubs that rock (I am am basing this on my experience of War Pigs in Copenhagen).
    I went to The Intrepid Fox when it was in Soho and seem to remember it was playing MOR type music or Rock N Roll. I gather it's now moved all the way up to Archway but think it may have closed again.
    Then there is CroBar THE CROBAR It's central and Ive no idea what its like; any info appreciated.
    The only other place I knew was the Green Dragon in Croydon that played half decent music but its a long way out and was always heaving Green Dragon | Craft Beer & Ales Pub in Croydon

Anyone know of any others?

krtek a houby likes this.
  2. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

I've been to Crobar. I wasn't that impressed. Just a small bar off Charring Cross rd with a bunch of old metalers sitting around listening to Sabbath and the like. I was hoping for something a bit more lively with some proper thrash metal and an air of danger and chaos tbh.

Aces and Eights in Tufnel Park isn't bad and stays open til 2:30am on Fri/Sat.

hash tag likes this.
  3. flypanam

flypanam designated title: local oaf

Our black heart in Camden?

I remember the music selection being pretty good, I think I saw a Don Caballero track on the jukebox which makes it magical for me, although that was about 6 years ago.

hash tag likes this.
  4. editor

editor Forked with electrons

Fucking expensive too.

Haven't been for years, but Garlic & Shots used to be pretty lively in a metaaaaaaaaaal way.

5. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

Big Red on Holloway Road?

6. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

Helgi's on Mare Street? (more garage / psyche / 6ts)

7. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

Heavy Load club night at the Phoenix?

8. skyscraper101

It's more a nostalgia night for 60s era beat music and psychedelia tbh. Not my thing at all.

9. KatyF

KatyF Well-Known Member

Big Red is probably the best of the bunch that's around these days but for some reason I just don't like it. Does food as well though which everyone seems to love.

There's the Ship in Croydon, depending on who is DJing that's normally a decent night.

Garlics is fine but its bloody pricey. And practically pitch black.

10. Arno who ran the Intrepid Fox at Archway now runs the The Lounge in Camden. Right by the tube and near the World's End pub too

Good place with lots of live bands.

The Lounge Promotion: Nightclub Kolis

Pickman's model and hash tag like this.
  11. There's also The Devonshire Arms nearby in Camden too and Mick Wood of Monsta Entertainment does a lot of band promotion in the area.

Monsta Ents

Pickman's model and hash tag like this.
  12. I don't like The Big Red either. They do food...

I call it The Guitarvester. :hmm:

KatyF and Pickman's model like this.
  13. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

Did that used to be the halfway house?

14. The Crobar is the pub of choice for US singers who want to go for a beer and not be recognised.

I've bumped into both Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga in there (and beaten up by her bouncers when I tried to squeeze past her in the ridiculously narrow bar to go to the toilet.)

And they only sell Guiness in cans

15. I'm not sure to be honest

Pickman's model likes this.
  16. Pickman's model

Will be in Camden later, I'll check

AverageJoe likes this.
  17. There's also Slim Jims in Islington but like
    The Crobar the music is only jukebox led.

Doesn't open until late either

18. MrSki

MrSki Who am I to say you're wrong

Surely too small for live bands?

19. Pickman's model

You're right, it's just up before the auld aerated bread company place, now Sainsbury's carpark

MrSki likes this.
  20. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

I was going to say Slim Jims on Upper Street...its a bit more of an 80s hair rock US nostalgia Jack Daniels advert vibe in there tbh, but still
    Sad to hear about Intrepid Fox
    New Cross Inn is most often in a punk rock mode of some description depending who's on the bill and Birds Nest in Deptford is kind of there in retired spirit and they do have rock bands on the bill fairly regularly
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    hash tag and AverageJoe like this.
  21. Lucy Fur

Lucy Fur Well-Known Member

I used to rehearse next door to the Unicorn on Camden road, and there was always metal bands live in there. quick check on its website, seems its still the same vibe. pub prices too.
    https://www.theunicorncamden.com/

22. skyscraper101

oh good spot. I might have to go in there. Looks like loads of thrash metal bands play too.