1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pub rules local games

Discussion in 'football' started by harpo, Sep 29, 2017.

1. harpo

harpo Listening to Radio Jackie

Attempted to have a drink on Uxbridge Road tonight. Ensconced in a boozer around 4.30, the landlady came round to take all glass glasses away and replace them with plastics. Left that pub, tried to get in another, weren't allowed in the one nearby unless we could show a home ticket for (in this case) Queens Park Rangers.

Is this the case generally now? I get it, but is it law or guidelines or what?

2. TruXta

TruXta tired

Could be a local licencing condition? Pretty common around stadiums on match day IME.

Badgers, harpo and sealion like this.
  3. sealion

sealion If you can't dance just nod your head

It's a local derby against Fulham tonight. There is a bit of history and fisti cuffs between them. The local pubs have to do what the ob tell them on a match day or face closure for the match duration.

harpo likes this.
  4. harpo

Fair enough. The last time I was involved with pubs and football was when I was a barmaid in an Anfield boozer in the late 80s. I don't remember either trouble or this level of regulation. Nevertheless, I do get it.

sealion likes this.
  5. TruXta

TruXta tired

Hasn't the red and blue derby been a bit less violent historically than other big derbies? Always been my impression, but I could be wrong.

Badgers likes this.
  6. TruXta

TruXta tired

Not that Fulham-QPR is a "big" derby in the greater scheme of things :D

7. harpo

Historically yes. Cabbies in Liverpool back then flew red and blue on their car radio arial on Derby days. But the boozer I worked in, the landlord welcomed away supporters and there was friendly banter before the game. Not Everton, obviously, they have their own pubs and their own songs on the next street, but the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal, Man U etc.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  8. TruXta

TruXta tired

Reminds me that I need to go see if the Mere Bank is still there next time I'm around Anfield.

9. souljacker

souljacker and this is fresh

Rings a bell. Where was that one? I used to drink in the cabbage hall which, IIRC, was on the corner of Anfield Road and Breck Road. There were all sorts of lively (and quite scary) boozers on the Breck that would be interesting on Match Day.

10. harpo

The Grove on Breckfield Road North. Slightly away from the crowd. 30 years since I last saw the place but probably still there.

11. TruXta

TruXta tired

On the corner of Mere Lane and Heyworth St, just as you emerge from Rupert Lane recreation ground - that long narrowish park south of Anfield.

12. TruXta

TruXta tired

Right. Don't think I know the place. Not that I know the area at all really.

13. harpo

Did you ever go in the Lutine Bell? :D. Even by Breck Road standards...

14. harpo

It's not on a main drag. I don't know if its there any more. It was a local pub I worked in for a few years many moons ago. In those days we listened to the match on the radio. It was one of those pubs where you could hear the roar of the goal through the open door before you heard it on the radio. Phil McConnell the landlord managed to keep trouble well away.