1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Proper techno nights in London atm

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by ska invita, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Rik

Rik Well-Known Member

2. braindancer

braindancer not for long

Ooooh Vex'd - nice! Are they playing as a one-off for this? Or can we expect some more Vex'd tunes I wonder?

3. Rik

Rik Well-Known Member

Well they played at the Planet Mu night somewhere else in Europe last month I think. But no announcement about if it's on going. Roly Porter has just announced his new album on Tri Angle records Roly Porter announces Third Law LP for Tri Angle

4. braindancer

braindancer not for long

Cool - not listened to much of the Roly Porter stuff, love the Kuedo stuff that Jamie Vex'd has done though....

New Vex'd stuff would be good - we shall see!

Rik likes this.
  5. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Domination Snert

Roly Porter's solo stuff is great IMO - I prefer it to Kuedo personally. I really recommend 'Fall Back - Live at Aldeburgh' with Cynthia Millar.

6. Nah, I like Steve.

Listen to this mix. Pure energy and minimalistic machine funk!

DJWrongspeed likes this.
  7. moody

moody Being alive increases risk of death.

The Hydra parties are looking pretty solid.

Would any Urbs fancy a meet up?

A few of us saw Omar S @ a Bloc night a while back.

8. Only if they do a night at autumn street studios/Bloc yeah. Decent place that.

The other space in wapping has a horrid reverb-y sound that just annoyed me when I saw Surgeon and Karenn - To be fair I was hammered.

I'm not really a fan of those big nights because I go on all those fb groups a few days after and I see people moaning at innocuous shit. Those sorts of crowds always ruin it for me on the night. Better to have a laid back crowd at a smaller night.

This is how one of the exchanges went.

person 1: I went to hyperdub and people were smoking spliffs inside.
    me: Just go elsewhere to dance if you're worried about being burnt or offended by this practice.
    person 1: it's not classy, I've been in this country for 12 years, I do press for insert lists of blogs/magazine
    me: so? who cares? Leave that baggage at the door. Otherwise what are you doing here?

9. moody

Autumn St was where we went. Are Bloc still doing nights at the venue?

10. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

They own it and live above it!

dialectician likes this.
  11. moody

Ha!

I see nobodies mentioned Secret Sundaze or are they too hippersterish?

12. Fez909

Fez909 um...

[​IMG]

13. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

14. moody

My birthday weekend.

Tempting....

15. Fez909

Fez909 um...

Ditto. I think we share a birthday actually. Tempting, aye :)

16. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Been feeling the itch a bit recently and have heard good things about Gateway to Zen. Anybody been? The next one is 5th Feb I believe.

17. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

18. Rik

Rik Well-Known Member

19. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Yeah that's what puts me off going to be honest. I think the article indirectly points at why that happens - to maintain a club in London these days you pretty much have to be able to pack the place out or you can't balance the books. Reading about their early days makes me think, when I first moved to London in 2003 I was going to parties like they describe there, not-technically-legal but largely ignored, all over the place. Corsica were the ones that made it stick and good on them but I don't know if those spaces are there now, they're all flats. Where's the next Corsica going to come from?:(

Rik likes this.
  20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Well acid techno then.

22. The one thing that slightly annoyed me about that article was one of the people interviewed claimed that corsica's 'accessibility is bad.' Now I'm not going to say it's great or even perfect, but as someone who likes to have it large on various substances I've never had trouble navigating the club and I have no sight.

I can just imagine fellow blind friends of mine reading that article and not wanting to go there as that's the common retort that bouncers use if they don't want to let in disabled people. I know it's meant to be a helpful remark but it kinda has the opposite effect. There are many places in london with far far worse accessibility (fabric springs to mind.) I just think calling Corsica's accessibility 'bad' is pushing it a bit.

Now, if this was meant in the sense of sighted people finding the club inaccessible - how can it be? It's a two room warehouse for christ's sake, the concept seems totally alien and inconceivable to me.

23. Fixed.

24. This is acid T E C H N O

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  25. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

i went to see Derrick Carter there and it was unbelievably rammed, although everyone was in the main room at once when he was on. you kind of just moved up and down in the dancefloor with the crowd, if you wanted a piss or a smoke you were stuffed. luckily Carter smashed it and everyone just had it for 2 hours straight.

had other nights there that weren't as rammed

not been for quite a few years though.

26. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

its called Acid Techno

not Tekno

27. I know they call it acid techno, but acid techno is stuff like this

And before SUF even existed stuff like Seawolf, Afghan Acid etc...

So I'm going to continue to call it acid tekno to annoy people.