Pro Cycling 2018

Discussion in 'general sports' started by The Boy, Oct 18, 2017.

1. The Boy

The Boy danny la rouge is probably wrong.

Ah, you meant the finish time. Yeah, that is stupid if they managed to get that to clash.

Especially given the likelihood of a British rider wearing yellow in the tour.

2. twistedAM

twistedAM Left Of The Dial

Yeah that's what I meant but the Ride London thing really promotes the sportive beforehand to allow bankers on EPO to have their day out and then the real race starts afterwards.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  3. twistedAM

Just bumping this thread cos there's more interesting races than the 3 Grand Bores (okay that's unfair to Giro and Vuelta but....._

4. Hollis

Hollis Bloody furious

2020 Olympic Route

Interesting discussion about the women's route being dumbed down. The women's road race at the last two Olympics has been excellent... Do they really need to make the course less hard?

5. Nigel Irritable

Nigel Irritable Five, Ten, Fifteen Years

The women’s route is a disgrace. Its a slap in the face to the whole women’s side of the sport. Road cycling is the most chauvinist endurance sport by a huge margin.

6. hash tag

hash tag member

The Tour of Britain is as well organized as ever ( It hits London on Sunday the 9th, unfortunately and not as shown). I see Sky are putting out a solid team.

upload_2018-8-19_8-55-20.png

Ponyutd likes this.
  7. Ponyutd

Ponyutd Greebo likes this....r.i.p.

I may try to make the Aberdare to Bath. Went a few years back to the Hertfordshire section and last years again. The Hemel one was good, Potton End Hill, the scenery was amazing.

8. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

That route isn't even close to what it actually is. That's from a previous year. Am i missing the joke here or something?

9. Hollis

Hollis Bloody furious

If you're ever stuck on a plane, then this film 'Le Ride' is worth watching - about the first Australian/NZ team in the 1928 TdF.

http://www.roadcycling.co.nz/le-ride-harry-watson-story/

Good mix of historical stuff about the 1928 tour, and their attempt to ride it using original bikes. Ridiculously long stages... seems to have been much more a matter of endurance then.

beesonthewhatnow likes this.
  10. hash tag

hash tag member

11. twistedAM

Why do people keep starting thread for every halfass* tour?
    Would it not be better to have all pro cycling racing on the one thread?

* if you feel that is unfair then insert "warm-ups for the World Championship and Il Lombardia"

Hollis likes this.
  12. hash tag

hash tag member

"HalFass tour". Tell that to Sky who have put out a considerable team in tob compared to the Vuelta.
    we should be doing all we can to support and promote the tob, which has grown and improved considerably over the years.

13. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Riding a Brompton with a power meter.

It's only a 2.HC and not a very good one at that. It's definitely not thread-worthy. Sky send a strong team because it's the only market for their sponsor.

14. twistedAM

Quick Step have pretty much sent their A-team as have Lotto NL but their motives are longer term than this race.

Cracking fight going in between those teams right now. Really impressed with the growth of Lotto NL. Apart from Roglic and the GC guys they have acquired Wout Van Aert and also got De Plus from Quick Step. Good work on a slim budget.

It's been a good ToB but it really doesn't deserve its own thread nor does the Vuelta. Or for that matter Le Tour but then I think the the six big races of the year are the Monuments and the Worlds!

hash tag likes this.
  15. twistedAM

Actually isn't Italy a big market? Hence their toleration of Moscon.

16. The Boy

Yeah, they've always tried to keep a decent Italian or two, but is deffo secondary to the UK market.

17. The Boy

Tho, the ToB isn't event the best/most important stage race in the UK imo.

TdY pisses on it truth be told. Just a shame ASO don't take the women seriously.

18. twistedAM

Wow, they slaughtered Roglic and that's a hard thing to do.

And yeah I'd usually say TdY is better than ToB but this year has had a decent parlours.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  19. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Great to see so many international big hitters in the ToB and so many UK riders there too. Wout Poels smashed it today. It's so weird seeing Froome & Thomas as lead out men.

Enjoyed watching the highlights from the one around Warwickshire. All these hills and countryside I'd no idea about.

20. twistedAM

Meanwhile over in Quebec, Greg van Moanalot comes second again :D

21. twistedAM

Eddie Dunbar joins Sky with immediate effect.

Nigel Irritable likes this.
  22. Nigel Irritable

Sky are now assembling an entire reserve train made up of most of the best young prospects in the sport. A team consisting of Bernal, Geoghegan Hart, Dunbar, Sivakov, Donovan, Hayter, Halvorsen and maybe Lawless could win a GT already next year (although in practice they won’t actually throw the youngest guys into one). The oldest member of that lineup would be Geoghegan Hart, who is 23.

23. hash tag

hash tag member

I see neither Froome nor Thomas are riding the world's which surprises me a little

24. Nigel Irritable

Froome is tired after riding both the Tour and Giro at the sharp end and in any case has no record in one day races to speak of. Thomas has been on the piss for a month and has no chance of being in competitive shape.

In theory it’s a big opportunity for Thomas, but you can hardly blame him for celebrating pretty enthusiastically in the circumstances.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  25. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

26. twistedAM

Better off without them probably. Strong team with the form Simon Yates is in plus good mountain doms in Hart, A Yates, Carthy and young James Knox.

27. twistedAM

Come to think of it, Adam Yates could be a great bet for the Worlds. That would be insane if Britain held all GTs and the rainbow jersey.
    Still hoping for an Alaphilippe win though.

28. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

JLT Condor folding.

The financial outlook for pro cycling really doesn’t seem great at the moment :hmm:

29. The Boy

I'm rooting for pinot. Rainbow jersey without sponsors ftw

30. twistedAM

Have Groupama-FDJ said they'd do that?
    Still with Ala especially if the team are called The Wolfpack next year.