Pro Cycling 2018

Discussion in 'general sports' started by The Boy, Oct 18, 2017.

1. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

Having read the Sky statement rather than the BBC senstaionalisation of the story I tend to agree.

2. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Riding a Brompton with a power meter.

How is it a non story? Froome tested at 2,000ng/ml for Salbutamol. DIego Ulissi got a 9 month ban for 1,900ng/ml...

twistedAM likes this.
  3. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

All fine bar the one day he was double the limit.

4. sleaterkinney

They've known about this for three months, if they could have disproven it they would.

5. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Yeah. So he’s decided to cheat on just one day? Nah.

6. sleaterkinney

Exactly.

7. DownwardDog

So what would it take for you to believe Froome is a doper if, apparently, a positive dope test isn't enough?

8. 1927

That argumentcuts both ways.

If he was tested 18 times and only one test was questionable then it’s unlikeky he was cheating at all.

9. 1927

It’s not a positive dope test tho is it?

10. sleaterkinney

Is it not banned at the level he had?

11. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

What happened on stages 17-19? I mean in terms of the race situation and Froome's performance?

12. DownwardDog

It's not "questionable". It's an outright fail (A and B samples) and double the permitted level even with a TUE. It's also higher than the concentration that's possible with an inhaler...

13. beesonthewhatnow

Froome had the red jersey from stage 3 and never looked like losing it.

14. butchersapron

He lost time on stage 17 and made it back up on 18 - are there any contemporary post stage 17 reports of him reporting feeling sick/breathing probs i wonder?

15. 1927

I didn’t say the result was questionable!

16. beesonthewhatnow

17. butchersapron

beesonthewhatnow likes this.
  18. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

I understand he took double the normal permitted doSe of 16 puffs in one day. As an asthmatic, 16 puffs is excessive, but 32!
    I wanted to believe in Froome and/or sky...its all down to solicitors now, which is no way to sort these things out.
    a sad day. :(

1927 likes this.
  19. 1927

To be fair tho you aren’t an asthmatic international sportsman!

hash tag likes this.
  20. butchersapron

Where do you understand that from?

21. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

A Guardian journo, not fotheringham. On r4 this am

22. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

I can't believe Froome has serious chest problems. If some has a serious chest problem needing 16 pigs a day, I bet they would be put on a nebuliser or oxygen.

23. tommers

tommers Your disco needs you

There sure are a lot of asthmatics riding bikes for thousands of kilometres up 15% gradients every year.

planetgeli likes this.
  24. butchersapron

I really do recommend that reddit thread i posted above.

Fez909 likes this.
  25. beesonthewhatnow

Who’d have thought that pushing your body through what is arguably the toughest endurance sport in the world might make it susceptible to illness.

26. Casual Observer

Casual Observer binoculars

WADA's rules themselves seem to allow excessive use of Salbutamol with a maximum of 1600 mcg (16 puffs) permissible over a 24 hour period or 800 mcg (8 puffs) permissible over a 12 hour period without a TUE. The inhaler manufacturer's maximum advised usage is half that at 800 mcg (8 puffs) over a 24 hour period.

A possible defence for overuse is that the puffs get weaker as the canister approaches emptiness. In other words, you might need more than one puff to get your 100 mcg dose.

27. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

A butchers said, read the Reddit thread.

There's something linked on there called exercise-induced asthma. This might be why you see so many elite athletes with it.

Also, there are links that show that this medication does not give a direct performance boost in healthy individuals, though it can be used as a fat burner/weight loss tool. And the only way this is possible is via ingesting it, not inhaling it.

Ingesting it is banned in sports.

28. Nigel Irritable

Nigel Irritable Five, Ten, Fifteen Years

Exercise induced asthma is a very controversial issue in itself. Sports teams, for some reason, uniformly tend to hire doctors on the side of that controversy who believe it is real and very prevalent among endurance athletes. Cynics might suggest that this is because sports teams are more interested in the medication than the complaint.

twistedAM and Fez909 like this.
  29. RainbowTown

RainbowTown Well-Known Member

Whatever the truth of the matter is, Froome, Wiggins, team Sky are now permanently tainted by this question of 'cheating' .They'll always have that cloud of suspicion hanging over them. Their achievements have been compromised by this. And there's no turning back from that now.

hash tag likes this.
  30. Nigel Irritable

Nigel Irritable Five, Ten, Fifteen Years

The most interesting part about it is that in neither case has strong evidence emerged implying use of traditional rocket fuel. We aren't talking about the kind of taint that comes with, say, a former team soigneur saying they administered testosterone or EPO, the athlete denying it, but everyone knowing the score. Instead what has emerged in both cases is evidence that substances which are in some circumstances legal are being used by the team in ways that they are not supposed to be used.

It sounds counterintuitive, but a case could be made that they wouldn't need to be pushing the boundaries of the permissible with corticosteroids, salbutamol and the like quite so hard if they were doing the old school EPO/blood bag shuffle.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    1927 likes this.