Private rental - having to move as flat is unlivable.

Discussion in 'benefits and housing' started by Ceej, Jan 26, 2019.

  1. Ceej

    Ceej Where is my mind?

    My goddaughter moved into her first flat in October with the usual tenancy agreement 12 months minimum contract.
    The flat is seriously damp - mould behind the headboard, wardrobe. Round the windows, on the ceiling and the plaster is as soft as cheese. The heating isn't great so isn't helping and she's asthmatic so it's all bad . After much correspondence the landlord has agreed to release her from the tenancy but wants her out in two weeks or she's in for the duration.
    She's totally screwed money-wise - more moving expenses and has to come up with another deposit (she won't get the original one back till after she's vacated) and first months rent. As the place is virtually inhabitable and the knacker of a landlord put her in this position, is there any way he might be liable for some of the costs?
    Argonia likes this.
  2. Badgers

    Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

    Hate to say it but virtually no chance. You might get something if you take legal action but that won't help short term.

    Slim chance the landlord will release the deposit early but landlords are not known for such things :(

    Pickman's model likes this.
  3. Ceej

    Ceej Where is my mind?

    We kind of knew that...the landlords are being 'youre the one who wants to leave, little girl.. ' having hidden the problem - the headboard is actually stuck to the wall with mould. I've offered to lend her the money but she's already borrowed up - and her family consists of an unwell mum. I hope karma is the bitch we hope she is.
  4. Badgers

    Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

    Make sure you take loads of pictures and log all communication.

    Report the cunt but not till goddaughter is out of his clutches and deposit is refunded.

    Complaining about your landlord
    SpookyFrank, Lupa, Almor and 8 others like this.
  5. maomao

    maomao 四月她爹

    It's only going to get better when we start hanging the fuckers in the street.
  6. wiskey

    wiskey Albatross Admirer

    Get her to speak to Shelter about her options
  7. Wookey

    Wookey Muppet is not a slur

    How's she getting on Ceej?
    yield and Edie like this.
  8. Edie

    Edie Well-Known Member

    Bloody hell just read this. What a fucking horrible situation Ceej We need to have a word with these cunts who let substandard property and don’t give a fuck about people. They’re failing in their responsibilities towards people like your goddaughter Ceej, and maybe a quiet word round the back of the pub would set them straight :hmm:
    AnnO'Neemus, Wookey and Badgers like this.
  9. SpookyFrank

    SpookyFrank We kill the flame

    Fucking outrageous what you can get away with as a landlord. And those tory twats who blocked legislation requiring homes to be fit for human habitation, they make me wish hell was real :mad:
    Badgers, marshall and Celyn like this.
  10. Celyn

    Celyn Well-Known Member

    It's a big problem that so many council houses were sold off.
  11. Duncan2

    Duncan2 Well-Known Member

    Bump.Borrowing this thread hope no-one minds as it is a question related to housing disrepair.My friend has been onto the Housing Association for the last three years because her roof lets in water to the extent that if you get invited into her house its like wreck-diving.She had to threaten to sue and now they have agreed to fix everything but she has to get lost so to speak for three months.She is scared to go where they propose to temporarily rehouse her so they have basically said they will give her a sum of money to basically take herself off on holiday whilst the repairs are done.Friend hasn't had a holiday before and is pretty keen because she is fairly confident that the package will be on the generous side.Just wondering if anyone else has ever heard of this being done by HA's or Local Authorities?And if anyone can suggest possible pitfalls?My concern is that she is on UC with limited capacity for work.Her stuff or much of it will remain in situ so she can,i guess,legitimately claim housing element to pay the rent while she is gone but if three or four grand hits her bank account from the HA must she declare that to DWP and is it likely to knock out her UC claim for months.Complicated one I know and not one that I can realistically expect anyone to engage with but any and all notions would be welcome.Have to sleep right now but will be back tomorrow.Ta urbs.
  12. moody

    moody Being alive increases risk of death.

    that's awful.

    with money for deposit/ month upfront, try your local council..explain the situation to them, they might run a deposit scheme or maybe able to lend her the month up front. They did with me, paid it back on a drip.

    Ah, just noticed the date on the OP, but it's still a valid point for anyone struggling with deposit money
  13. marty21

    marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

    I worked for several Housing Associations, what usually happens in these circumstances is that they offer temporary accommodation for the period of the works, she would sign a licence for the temporary accommodation, her tenancy will continue , she should be charged no rent for the temporary accommodation - rent will continue to be charged for the property being repaired. (HB would cover the period as well) . I've never arranged for someone to go off on holiday - but most of the time , repairs take a few months and it isn't reasonable for someone to spend that sort of period away (or possible if you have work commitments. child care, etc) . I'm not an expert on UC so hopefully other's will be along who are.

    If they have offered her temporary accommodation which she doesn't like - ask for an alternative - usually Councils and Housing Association use what we call void flats for this sort of thing - these are flats that aren't tenanted at the moment. In some circumstances residents would be placed in hotels - but usually that is only if they have to move out for short periods. As long as she doesn't sign anything to give up her tenancy - then she will be able to return when the works are completed. They should also store her belongings for the period of the works if they can't be moved into the temporary accommodation , and should cover reasonable expenses, and arrange for connection/disconnection of washing machines, cooker,etc, they should pay for redirection of post, etc.

    PM me if you need any more info/advice


    HAs and Councils also have access to private rented property as well, so she could as about that - or ask them to rent one in an area she is happy to go to. They should be falling over backwards to meet her needs as they have screwed up - speak to local councillor/MP and ask them to get involved - or go through the complaints procedure - and ultimately the Ombudsman. If she had legal advice from a housing lawyer to get to this stage, contact them again.
    Duncan2 likes this.
  14. AnnO'Neemus

    AnnO'Neemus Is so vanilla

    Check with a CAB or law centre welfare rights adviser, Duncan2.

    I'm not a qualified adviser, but I think if someone has less than £6,000 in the bank then it doesn't affect their benefits entitlement. If they have more than that, then it might impact their benefits. But check with an independent expert.
    Grace Johnson and Duncan2 like this.
  15. Duncan2

    Duncan2 Well-Known Member

    Thanks a lot marty21 that is extremely useful-particularly the bit about being careful to safeguard her "right to return" so to speak.Thanks also Ann O Neemus your figure is probably right.I have a vague memory from the last century of the capital disregard being a lot higher perhaps sixteen grand but successive govts have doubtless tightened the purse-strings still further.I believe my friend did see a solicitor very briefly but came away thinking she could not get public-funding.She wanted them to get on with it without drawn out court-proceedings but since she has not had a safe kitchen for literally years it may be that after they have done the repairs she should find a no-win-no-fee chapess and try for some compensation as well.Thanks again.
    Edited to add- some googling later u r right Ann.She has to declare savings up to six grand but these won't reduce UC entitlement.So that too is very good to know
    Last edited: May 14, 2019 at 6:51 PM
    SpookyFrank, AnnO'Neemus and marty21 like this.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice