1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pride (movie) - when Welsh miners and gay activists teamed up to fight Thatcher

Discussion in 'protest, direct action and demos' started by dynamicbaddog, Aug 30, 2014.

1. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

also
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-30693095
    Pride director defends removal of gay references on DVD

friendofdorothy likes this.
  2. brixtonscot

brixtonscot Well-Known Member

3. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/mar/16/miners-lgbt-activists-pride-film-reunite?CMP=fb_gu

ddraig and Belushi like this.
  4. Guineveretoo

Guineveretoo Mostly bewildered

OMG - 8 of the original 17 who went to wales in that minibus died of AIDS!

That statement has evoked a lot of emotions in me. I remember being really angry at this disease which was killing young people, and seemed to be aimed at gay people, at least in Europe and the USA. I went to see the AIDS quilt in San Francisco in the 90s, and I cried out of frustration and anger as well as sadness at all the losses detailed in it. It makes me want to cry again now - to think of all those young activists who were making a difference, and who would have continued to make a difference if they hadn't been taken.

Kaka Tim, mather and friendofdorothy like this.
  5. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

yeah very sad reading that.

6. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Another important thing from that article:

Note, not my dad, but my grandad. When people ask why the left is so weak, the destruction - planned quite consciously - of the supporting networks and structures, localised and wider, built and sustained by the previous generations and built around a work based (and across various fields of employment) recognition of each other and class interests has to figure largely in the answer. Anyone who thinks the miners strike was really just about economics will never be able to grasp that.

Kaka Tim, tommers, Nigel and 7 others like this.
  7. Mation

Mation real life adventure worth more than pieces of gold

Finally saw this, this weekend. Brilliant.

marty21, T & P, dynamicbaddog and 2 others like this.
  8. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Missed this headline in the express last week:

Ed Miliband admits in an interview he cried at gay film Pride   Politics   News   Daily Express.png

9. souljacker

souljacker a little more touch my body

I saw this last night. Fantastic film with some very funny and very moving sequences. Even Dominic West is good in it.

It's on iplayer at the moment for anyone who hasn't seen it yet (or wants to see it again).

10. General Veers

General Veers Active Member

The Sun's take on it at the time.

Attached Files:

11. chainsawjob

chainsawjob Cautiously impulsive

Watched this on iPlayer last night, brilliant film, thoroughly enjoyable, I was worried it would be too 'sentimental' and cringy or something in it's portrayal of both the issues of the miners and of gay rights, but I think it hit a serious and realistic enough note. Cried at the end. What a mix of feelings for the eighties and being a teenager then.

12. tommers

tommers Yourdisco needs you

Watched it tonight Great film and this thread has provided a lot of background as well. An inspiring story. I'm amazed that all the bits I thought were inventions for the film turned out to be true. :D

13. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow suspicious sweetcorn

Watched it last week - great film. Made me cry too.

14. krtek a houby

krtek a houby it can't happen here Enforced Holiday Banned

One of those "feelgood" films that transcends the genre. Moving, nostalgic and humorous.

friendofdorothy likes this.
  15. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

which bits did you think were inventions?

Rutita1 likes this.
  16. Rutita1

Rutita1 Perfectly Flawed

Good question. :) A certain amount of artistic make it make sense is expected surely?

17. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

oddly enough for no real reason except the time and subject matter it made me think of what aids could do back then, how much of a death sentence it was. How nobody in a position to do anything would cos its a disease for gays and druggies so fuck them right? and yet it wasn't 'fuck them' as the film shows. Solidarity still, cross class cross gender cross border.

18. friendofdorothy

I'm amazed they could make anything feel good out of that time at all never mind give it a up beat end, but I supposed that is the magic of film. Much better than real life anyway. The miners lost their fight, aids was fucking awful and then we got clause 28.

krtek a houby likes this.
  19. Rutita1

Rutita1 Perfectly Flawed

krtek a houby

:D

I agree. I have a movie of real events that ends in a 3 year long fight with a housing association, where we had them on the ropes, where one of the negotiating committee suggests a settlement amount at x grand, far lower than we could have expected to be bartering/fighting for... :facepalm:

This is after some amazing and uncomfortably invigorating meetings that let them know just who was calling the fucking shots,as a driver of this rebellion I was being visited by people from the housing trust, after dark, on rainy nights, in expensive trench coats, keen to get me to get everyone else to agree that things weren't that bad...Erm, fuck off, yes they fucking were.

SO the trigger happy YES we'll take that amount neighbour...it wasn't a bad deal, but fuck me...We could have all stung them for a few grand more each. :D I put it down to a comedy life moment. The money wasn't the point afterall. The fact we stood up to the exploiting cunts and won, was.

krtek a houby likes this.
  20. friendofdorothy

they conflated things that only happened later - eg the 'dont die of ingorance campaign only started in 1986 well after the strike was over.

krtek a houby and Rutita1 like this.
  21. tommers

tommers Yourdisco needs you

Um... the women singing in the hall. The guy being one of the first people diagnosed with HIV and him surviving. The whole "make the most of your intellect" speech with Sian (and her ending up as an MP). Cliff saying he was gay. Even the miners leading Pride. Probably more that I've forgotten.

Normally with films like this they end up bearing a slight resemblance to what happened cos it's been so cut and moved about to make it an interesting film. I was surprised at just how much of this seems to be what actually happened. If you watch that documentary that's linked further up then you can see the real people basically saying lines from the film. They even look the bloody same. The only big thing that I can see they invented was Bromley.

I really liked it. I didn't know anything about LGSM before watching it so it was really interesting.

Guineveretoo, ddraig and Rutita1 like this.
  22. friendofdorothy

I think AIDS might have still been called GRID then, gay related imune dificiency - or just 'gay plague' in the tabloids. It was a horrible time to be queer.

Rutita1 likes this.
  23. friendofdorothy

I think I heard the bit were the miners social club goes quiet when they arrived was an invention too, they actually got a warm welcome.

I heard Sian give her speech at Pride in 1985, my first London Pride, and it was memorable - she was lovely, warm eloquent and reduced us all tears. Shame they didn't include that bit.

Rutita1, ddraig, JimW and 1 other person like this.
  24. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

The whole rushing back for the crucial meeting (which had had its time changed) never happened.

tommers likes this.
  25. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow suspicious sweetcorn

Some people did survive from the very earliest days - either through sheer luck or more probably possessing some genetic mutation, or an innate ability to keep the virus in check. Granted, such people would be few and far between unfortunately.

26. friendofdorothy

I think he lives around the corner from me, though I don't know him personally. I do know someone who been living with HIV since the 80s and he is well, though so many of the men I knew then are not alive not.

27. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

it was the tom hanks film Philidelphia that woke me up to it- it was already being defeated, being treated as I was growing up and it was never a thing that affected me as it did people of your generation. Just the stone cold ignorance of it, no effort made to research etc. Because fuck the queers and druggies. For a while I honestly thought it was a bioweapon deliberately done to punish the 'bad' people. But these days I am slightly less paranoid. It was a tragedy deliberately not adressed quickly rather than a lab grown horror. Musn't credit The Man with too much power, it disempowers ones ownself to do so.

Artaxerxes and pengaleng like this.