1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pride (movie) - when Welsh miners and gay activists teamed up to fight Thatcher

Discussion in 'protest, direct action and demos' started by dynamicbaddog, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Vintage Paw

Vintage Paw dead stare and computer glare

I didn't know about this film. I've just booked my ticket for my local cinema for next week. I never go to the pictures! I'm looking forward to it. Will probably be the only one there, Tuesday afternoon :D

idumea, marty21, frogwoman and 2 others like this.
  2. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Can i use this thread to make people aware that another miners strike themed film is out next month:

Still the Enemy Within

Screenings here.

Gramsci, Sprocket., nogojones and 8 others like this.
  3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

4. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

That sounds very interesting.

5. friendofdorothy

sorry that was 42 mins I could only bear to skip through it - did they ever say anything interesting?

6. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

That wasn't about the film really - it just happened to use the same title.

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

No.

Mr.Bishie likes this.
  8. brixtonscot

brixtonscot Well-Known Member

9. brixtonscot

Gay Pride 85

Attached Files:

10. brixtonscot

Pinko Commie Queers at Gay Pride 85

Attached Files:

11. The39thStep

The39thStep Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

I
    I got a quick mention in his diary of the miners strike :)

shygirl and Miss-Shelf like this.
  12. dynamicbaddog

dynamicbaddog Well-Known Member

Yes! Even after all these years Mark is still prominent in my thoughts. I used to hang about in the YCL office when he was working there, helping him make banners and that. A remarkable man who had a profound and lasting influence on me politically

13. Guineveretoo

Guineveretoo Mostly bewildered

14. Guineveretoo

Guineveretoo Mostly bewildered

I just looked and there are still free tickets available in loads of places including Croydon.

dynamicbaddog likes this.
  15. friendofdorothy

We lost so many good men in the 80s while Thatcher and the press vilified us. I miss them still too.

16. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

Looking forward to that, sent money towards it via kickstarter

17. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

We'll be making sure to go and see Pride very soon.

festivaldeb was at Uni (in Swansea) at the same time as Sian James (important in strike real life, and in the film, and now MP here in Swansea East). She's pretty sound, as mainstream Labour MPs go, but we hear she's retiring at the next election :(

18. friedaweed

friedaweed Branded as a fool

Gonna go see it Thursday with teh teenager. For FreeeEEEEEEEEEEE:D

Thanks for heads up dynamicbaddog :thumbs:

19. past caring

past caring The Cathars were right

He used to stay at the ex's house when there was stuff happening in London. Don't know what he's on though (monkey glands?) - he barely seems to have aged.....

20. The39thStep

Could be that Aldi anti wrinkle cream, highly rated.

friedaweed likes this.
  21. friedaweed

friedaweed Branded as a fool

Didn't work on my natsack:hmm:

22. The39thStep

probably should be bequeathed to the British Museum

friedaweed likes this.
  23. past caring

past caring The Cathars were right

24. Wilf

Wilf Tots els coperos són bastards

Saw the trailer last night at the pics, hadn't seen this thread. Looked very 'feel good' from the trailer but I suspect there'll be a lot more politics in it when you see the actual film (sorry, couldn't think of a non-pompous way of writing that sentence!). I'm sure it will make me cry! :thumbs:

25. lazythursday

lazythursday Well-Known Member

Saw the film with my freebie tickets last night. Very moving, very entertaining, very true to the spirit of the times. It's left me feeling somewhat depressed today though.

There are very few dramatic representations of what it was like to grow up gay in the 80s (in fact I'm struggling to think of anything apart from the video to Smalltown Boy) and reliving the virulent homophobia and dark shadow of AIDS was difficult, 'triggering' I guess is the word some people might use... The scene where Joe is confronted by his parents was a gruesome re-enactment, almost word-for-word of my own unmasking a couple of years later. I'm not sure though that a younger generation would quite pick up on all the references ('swirling in a cesspit of their own making' etc) and realise just how mainstream being actively homophobic was in those days.

I'm not sure if the making of this film represents victory or defeat. To my 15 year old self it would have seemed utterly remarkable that the 'loony left'/gay rights axis would ever be the subject of a heartwarming brit-com. But is that just because at 30 years distance all those ideas about solidarity are no longer a threat, a bit like how Tony Benn became a cuddly national treasure?

So yeah, really proud of those people and glad their story has been immortalised, still angry about the newspapers who ranted about perverts and now will probably give this film a 5 star review, and sad that we've collectively lost so much since those times, even if we've gained in terms of equality.

ebonics, porp, shygirl and 20 others like this.
  26. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

anyone near Merthyr??
    30 tickets up for grabs for tomorrow

dynamicbaddog likes this.
  27. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

Is the film going to be showing in cinemas on a general release?

28. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

Yeah I think so. They're pitching it as a mainstream film not a niche interest thing.

29. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

Just checked.... its out on general release tomorrow.

30. brixtonscot