1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pride (movie) - when Welsh miners and gay activists teamed up to fight Thatcher

Discussion in 'protest, direct action and demos' started by dynamicbaddog, Aug 30, 2014.

1. dynamicbaddog

dynamicbaddog Well-Known Member

2. Mr.Bishie

Mr.Bishie Well-Known Member

Looking forward to seeing this :) Shame we haven't a cineworld in Brighton!

e2a: we have a cineworld but it's not showing!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  3. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

We're getting offers of free tix from PCS, but none of the relevant showings/venues seem to apply to anywhere near us :hmm: ... will check again properly tomorrow.

4. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

Will go to see this, I was living in Swansea during the miner's strike and collected money in a bucket outside the Quadrant shopping centre for the Student Union to give to the miners. Tbh, I don't remember the gay support for the strike, so this will be interesting to see.

Pickman's model likes this.
  5. tufty79

tufty79 1979-2015. R.I.P.

Might bob over to bradford for this - cheers for the heads up.

6. gamerunknown

gamerunknown Well-Known Member

Miners' strike was before I was around, but I thought this picture was quite iconic.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  7. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

8. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

I'll be going; it's all about my valley :thumbs :

idumea, Maggot, discokermit and 4 others like this.
  9. sojourner

sojourner Where's me readers?

Yeh, really wanna see this - all free tix have well gone though!

10. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Domination Snert

Ah, too slow for the free tickets. THe film looks good though.

11. dynamicbaddog

dynamicbaddog Well-Known Member

friendofdorothy likes this.
  12. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

I'm looking forward to this. I recall going to various 'Coal not Dole' benefits and I recall LGSM collecting regulary at the Fallen Angel (was that where they met or was it just a regular benefit night- I cant remember now.) Miners used to come to London - I recall them shaking buckets at rush hour in Oxford Circus, when Thatcher was busy destroying the North and most londoners had no idea or didn't care what was going on

I remember being reduced to tears by a welsh miners wife who spoke on the main stage at London Pride in Jubilee Gardens (in 1985?) she said something about having no idea what lesbians and gays were when they first contacted them - but how she would be proud if a child of hers come out to her as lesbian or gay. She was an ordinary woman from the valleys who had never given a speech before the strike - but she was eloquent and it was emotional message. Non of this sort of stuff made the mainstream media back then.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

This film looks ace. Even my Mum wants to see it!

Vintage Paw and dynamicbaddog like this.
  14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

This is some review. I really want to see this now. Anyone know where it's showing in London?

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Here's some ace archive footage:

Gramsci, JimW, Miss-Shelf and 3 others like this.
  16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've edited the thread title seeing as the free tickets have gone.

The more I read about this story the more amazing it is. Listen to this speech from a miner at 'Pits and Perverts ' fundraiser in London:
    Fantastic solidarity.

[​IMG]

"LGSM members and miners dancing at the welfare hall in the Dulais Valley, Wales"

CNT36, Vintage Paw, Puddy_Tat and 5 others like this.
  17. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

Looks pretty feel good.

18. friendofdorothy

editor that was a real blast from the past! I recognised the bar at the London L &G centre (cowcross st) and the Fallen Angel, the banners and marches I even saw an old friend who I didn't even know was in Lesbians against Pit closures group.

Then Thatcher squeezed the miners harder, and they lost. She closed our coal industry to prove a point aginst trade unions. Then she introduced clause 28. God the 80s were shit - but the music was good.

marty21, trashpony, Gramsci and 9 others like this.
  19. ATOMIC SUPLEX

I was not being sarcastic, it looks like a great film. Even as a kid I followed the strike and hated Thatcher. I like the positive feel the trailer gives of the struggle of both oppressed groups coming together. I will prepare my heart to be warmed as new generations are hopefully educated.

marty21, Gramsci, Vintage Paw and 2 others like this.
  20. friendofdorothy

Sorry didn't think you were sarcastic - just felt like a rant against Thatcher, as I often do. It's hard to be nostagic about the 80s without recalling the oppression and misery. Sorry if I've spoilt the ending for anyone...

marty21 and Vintage Paw like this.
  21. ATOMIC SUPLEX

You spoilt nothing, a rant against thatcher is never wasted.
    Still love the music , still hate the down fall of modern Britain. Many positives came in the 80s though. If the consumerism negatives had not outweighed the good stuff, things might even be cool now.

22. shygirl

shygirl Well-Known Member

I've booked for the Q & A showing at the Lexi on 5 September, can't wait! Thanks for posting dynamicbaddog.

dynamicbaddog likes this.
  23. The39thStep

The39thStep Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

We have had this conversation before .i remember this so well.

Belushi likes this.
  24. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Nearly wasp season again

I'll have a look to see if this is showing in Manchester. :)

25. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

[​IMG]

:thumbs :

Puddy_Tat, The39thStep and ddraig like this.
  26. treelover

treelover Well-Known Member

for people on benefits now, one can argue it is much much worse now

film looks great, even it it is just a microcosm of the times,

Gramsci likes this.
  27. lazythursday

lazythursday Well-Known Member

Thanks dynamicbaddog for posting this - managed to get tickets to the Bradford showing. The reviews of this are all 100% positive except for some nasty piece in the Telegraph (Brendon O'Neill - is he Spiked / RCP?). I remember the strike period vividly as a 12 year old living in a midlands coalfield where views were very polarised UDM/NUM and got involved in some LGSM work in the early 90s in a later wave of pit closures. The fact that we were welcomed onto marches etc in Newton-le-Willows with very few eyebrows raised bears testament to the hard work done by activists ten years earlier.

Maggot likes this.
  28. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

be really really interested to see your argument on this

29. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

bbc bit
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-29036048

30. treelover

treelover Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"Mike Jackson, Co-founder of Lesbian and Gays Support the Miners LGSM at the premiere of the film 'Pride' - very proud that Mike is a member of Left Unity alongside many others from that important support campaign."

ebonics, oryx, brixtonscot and 3 others like this.