Preston - recommendations for good pubs,. curry houses, clubs etc?

Discussion in 'Midlands and the North' started by Spion, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Spion

Spion I hear ya

Does anyone know any good places for a bit of seekh kebab/tikka/curry-type thing in Preston? My preference is for the unpretentious type of place and starters grilled on a flame.

Also, any recommendations for a pub that has a good spread of ales on?

yours salivatingly

Spion

2. cyberfairy

cyberfairy http://unicycle-emptiness.co.uk/

The Fox and Grapes in preston is nice, sort of bikery and cool and with lots of random beers and ciders-can't help with curry though but know great places exis there..

3. october_lost

october_lost It's not hip any more...

Theres a sam smiths at the top of fisher gate towards the prison called the blue bell, cheapest beer in the city I think, and Alpine Beer takes some beating. Just round the corner is Naheebs House, which is good curry, but I think Preston isnt renowned for its curry :hmm:

Check the ale cry, if you like real ales and they will list the half dozen who carry the various choices. I also have preference for The New Britannia Inn (live music and real ale), The Guild (young crowd), The Black Horse (not pretentious), The Railway Staion (irish pub). There are some real nice pubs in the suburbs but I cant recall their names.

hope that helps

4. Fedayn

Fedayn Well-Known Member

:cool:

Surprising jukebox. ;)

5. citygirl

citygirl friendly fire

you off to preston then? i'm off to london in 2 weeks :)

6. october_lost

I saw the wolfe tones there :hmm:

7. Big Vern

Big Vern Banned Banned

Don't go to Preston after 6pm on monday's..I did and it was closed :D

8. Sugarmouse

Sugarmouse DVNC

That sounds about right:D

9. october_lost

You have completely lost me, theres no shops open for sure but it as pubs.

10. manstein

manstein So Foul and Fair a day...

11. Spion

Spion I hear ya

Hmmm, looks like there's decent beer, but not many clues on the curry front. What areas of Preston would be best to go looking for Asian food?

12. october_lost

Top of fishergate as three or four curry houses, Id say two of them were good, not sure about the other two. Your best bet is to ask stevil if hes posting on here anymore.

13. killer b

killer b Feat. Sean Paul

i live at the bottom of church street (where all the curry houses are) and don't rate any of the town centre curry restaurants. there's a decentish lebanese place on manchester road (no license, but their happy to let you bring your own) - it's open irregularly though.

duk (in a basement on lancaster road, opposite the miller shopping arcade) does loads of fantastic spicy meals, although they're often booked up. they've recently opened a satalite restaurant on canon street (called 'pond') - not been, but it's likely to be good.

there's a few decent kebab places, and curry takeaways. the best kebabs are from sandos on church street - they do 'em in a clay oven, and they're fucking delish. the naans are excellent too. just round the corner on grimshaw street there's a good curry takeaway (can't remember it's name, but there's only 1 takeaway on grimshaw street). you can also get a good kebab from the kebab house a few doors up from the dog & partridge (again, can't remember it's name - but their shish is killer).

best pubs (for beer anyway) are:

black horse (friargate)- period victorian pub with nice mosaic floors. 4 - 5 bitters from the robinsons stable, including the fearsome old tom
    dog & partridge (friargate) - biker/metal pub. cheap & chearful lunches (£2.20 for steak & chips last time i was there), and 5 real ales - usually london pride, tim taylors landlord - the rest rotate. they also have addlestones if cider is your bag
    blue bell (church street) - cheapest real ale in preston - nice but shabby ancient building (17th century i think) with beer by sam smiths. £1.32 a pint i think. the clientelle are colourful, but mainly friendly.
    bitter suite (fylde road) - usually 6-8 microbrewery handpulls on, of varying quality. there's usually one worth drinking... all the beer bores in preston seem to drink here
    moor brook (north road) - only 1 or 2 beers, from thwaites, but easily the best kept beer in preston. the landlord is also the soundest... they have live folk music on a friday if that's your bag.

pm if you fancy a pint btw - i'm only 5 minutes walk from town...

14. Sugarmouse

Sugarmouse DVNC

I totally agree with your choice of Preston pubs, Killer b.
    I am always in the dog and partridge, despite the landlord hating me..:)

15. Spion

Spion I hear ya

Yes, fantastic info Killer B :cool: I think there'll be some testing at the weekend. I'll PM when I know when we'll be there

16. killer b

killer b Feat. Sean Paul

are you sure ronnie hates you SM? he comes across as a bitter old grouch, but he's a sweetheart underneath all that...

look forward to hearing from you spion - my attendance may depend on babysitters, but i'll certainly try...

what's bringing you to our fair city?

17. Spion

Spion I hear ya

My GF lives not so far away. I'll PM you when we've figured a time out on Fri or Sat

Looking forward to it :)

18. Sugarmouse

Sugarmouse DVNC

I know lol...he is nastier to me than anyone else though! Shouts at me at every oppurtunity. I know he wants me stop going in, so I dont.:p

19. Spion

Spion I hear ya

I quite fancy the Robinsons' pub from your description, KB.

We'll watch out for shouting/you getting thrown out as we pass the Dog & Partridge, S'mouse :D

20. Stevil

Stevil All that malarky

I'd second all that (even though I don't drink).

I've lived in Preston since 2000 and never had a decent eat in curry although there is a good takeaway in Ashton called Cinnamon Spice which luckily is 5 minutes from my house.

21. killer b

killer b Feat. Sean Paul

cinamon spice is good... the spice of bengal on friargate was pretty good last time i went, although that was a few years ago now.

22. killer b

killer b Feat. Sean Paul

a few second division pubs you might like:

fox & grapes (fox street) - 4-6 microbrewery handpulls in a tiny periodish pub. nice atmosphere, if a little rough & ready
    new britannia (hill street) - just round the corner from the dog & partridge - decent micro handpulls, and an absolutely brutal (though disgusting) cider. two smallish rooms, and the only place i know with throbbing gristle on the jukebox
    stanley arms (lancaster road) - decent, if relatively soulless, real ale pub. 2 - 4 beers, and a motown disco on saturdays :cool:
    the dog (church street) - a very down at heel boozer, but opens till 4am - pointless visiting early on, but the mix of scallies & goths later in the evening makes for an interesting atmosphere. plus it's the only place in preston serving holt's bitter.
    the black bull (friargate) - not the old black bull, which is best avoided unless there's bands on. 8 real ales, very little atmosphere, but there is a nice snug.
    the mad ferret (fylde road) - no real ale, but they have live bands on every weekend night and a decent crowd.

23. Epico

Epico wordsmiff

Is the Queen Vic still there Killa B?
    When I lived on Fishergate Hill we were quite fond of it in there. Handy for the station too, if thats important.

24. killer b

killer b Feat. Sean Paul

yeah, the vic's still there - not a bad pub tbh, but i rarely get down that end of town since i moved down church street.

25. Spion

Spion I hear ya

Preston becomes more appealing all the time! :D

26. killer b

killer b Feat. Sean Paul

it's great for boozing round here. probably because there's fuck all else to do... :D

my mate is in the throes of doing up a nice pub on the river, which should be open at the beginning of august - i've high hopes for that. :)

27. Sugarmouse

Sugarmouse DVNC

The Olde Dog is brilliant , gets more entertaining as the night goes on. There's a bar in the beer garden now, and they are having bands on now, too:)
    Oh and loads of scallies fighting, which is ace as logn as you keep outta their way.:)
    I am probably one of those 'Goths' Killer b. Crowd that tends to appear straight after The Venue chucks out?lol

28. killer b

killer b Feat. Sean Paul

i once saw a man glass himself in the old dog. :cool:

happy days...

we probably have mutual friends sm.

29. killer b

killer b Feat. Sean Paul

where did you get to in the end?

30. Spion

Spion I hear ya

Nowhere near Preston as it turns out, but we will be making use of your suggestions at some point in future, so I'll pm ya. Cheers