Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Preston Bus Station: Keep it or Destroy it?

mlwer30

• Total voters

Greebo

'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back?
R.I.P.
I used to use Preston bus station as a play ground when I was a kid.

I remember when it had snowed, me and my mates rolled a huge snowball on the top level of the car park then rolled it over the edge on to the roof of a bus that was filling up with passengers.
Grossly irresponsible (and you probably terrified the passengers) but I suppose you might want to do that just once, to see what happened. :D

framed

Leave it!
Used to pass those flats every day on my way to school, had a mate lived way up high in one of them.

It's just brought back a repressed memory of an AFA leaflet drop in the flats when I almost lost my fcuking fingers to a pitbull that was silently lurking behind the letter box, took me about a minute to get my hand back! Had to go up the Royal for a feckin jab.:mad:

Excuse me, I'll have to go and lie down... :p :D

Frances Lengel

Atrophied Member
Banned
They are for now - pretty much cleared, On the demolition list though :(
Madness.

Not even pretending to remain on the topic of Preston bus stn, while I remember I've got to mention "This Road Is Red" by Alison Irvine which is a kind of novelised based on true stories as told by tenants account of the rise and fall of Red Road flats in Glasgow - I reckon I might've mentioned it to you before eqg, but I've gotta give it a wider audience - Any urb who's interested in post war housing & social history and all that shit could do a lot worse than giving it a look.

Red_Road_flats_at_Balornock_-_geograph.org.uk_-_119968.jpg

Red Road flats.

framed

Leave it!
Madness.

Not even pretending to remain on the topic of Preston bus stn, while I remember I've got to mention "This Road Is Red" by Alison Irvine which is a kind of novelised based on true stories as told by tenants account of the rise and fall of Red Road flats in Glasgow - I reckon I might've mentioned it to you before eqg, but I've gotta give it a wider audience - Any urb who's interested in post war housing & social history and all that shit could do a lot worse than giving it a look.

View attachment 26268

Red Road flats.
I've leafleted those fucking monsters as well. :eek:

I thought I'd finally reached 'recovery stage' until you bastards started posting pictures to remind me of my longest trudges up and down fcuking stairs! :D

equationgirl

Respect my existence or expect my resistance

framed

Leave it!
I think that's just marketing shite, it's not called that by anyone apart from estate agents.

Queen Elizabeth Square by Basil Spence - now that was truly brutalist:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=497011

Demolished in 1993 because structural problems.

Yep, you've guessed it, leafleted those beauties too, as is revealed in my forthcoming pamphlet which I hope will be published with the imprimatur of Proletarian Democracy - 'Leafleting For The Workers Bomb - A Guide" :)

William of Walworth

Festographer
I like that. It's so brutalist it's impressive. A lot of older bus stations are just plain grim and best demolished - such as the late and unlamented Hull bus station - but that's worth keeping IMO.
Full agreement. Swansea's old one was truly terrible, and we're very glad to be rid of it, however bland the replacement. Preston's, however, looks fine :)

equationgirl

Respect my existence or expect my resistance
Yep, you've guessed it, leafleted those beauties too, as is revealed in my forthcoming pamphlet which I hope will be published with the imprimatur of Proletarian Democracy - 'Leafleting For The Workers Bomb - A Guide" :)
Is there anywhere in Glasgow you haven't leafleted? :D

I look forward to your forthcoming pamphlet, I'm sure it will be invaluable for getting the message out there to a wider audience.

Frances Lengel

Atrophied Member
Banned
Is there anywhere in Glasgow you haven't leafleted? :D

I look forward to your forthcoming pamphlet, I'm sure it will be invaluable for getting the message out there to a wider audience.
I'm looking foreward to framed's pamphlet as well - Though I'd have thought it'd be a piece of piss to leaflet tower blocks - Get the lift to the top & stair it downwards, that's how I did it when I was a postie for about a fortnight anyway. Different story if the lift's not working I spose. Gardens with gates were my nemesis, I grew to properly detest the concept of an englishman's(I know you're Scottish but let me run with the ball) home being his castle - Fuck you and your idea of your piece of Barrats crap with it's derisory patch of grass being somehow your castle - As pathetic as it is pretentious was my thoughts on the matter. If we lived in a communist country we'd all live in slab blocks with standardised letterboxes and standardised letter sizes - Would've made my life easier anyway & mibbe I'd have stuck that job :D Mibbe not though, I was (and still probably am) quite an irresponsible prick. Not built for work anyway.

Greebo

'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back?
R.I.P.
I'm looking foreward to framed's pamphlet as well - Though I'd have thought it'd be a piece of piss to leaflet tower blocks - Get the lift to the top & stair it downwards, that's how I did it when I was a postie for about a fortnight anyway. Different story if the lift's not working I spose. <snip> If we lived in a communist country we'd all live in slab blocks with standardised letterboxes and standardised letter sizes - Would've made my life easier anyway & mibbe I'd have stuck that job :D Mibbe not though, I was (and still probably am) quite an irresponsible prick. Not built for work anyway.
FWIW the way that some blocks of flats get around the problem in France and Germany are lockable letter boxes (on the ground floor) for each person plus a concierge or caretaker on hand to take anything which won't fit in them.

Frances Lengel

Atrophied Member
Banned
FWIW the way that some blocks of flats get around the problem in France and Germany are lockable letter boxes (on the ground floor) for each person plus a concierge or caretaker on hand to take anything which won't fit in them.
Dunno if I'd be into that. Don't vandals smash & rob them (letterboxes that is)?

Frances Lengel

Atrophied Member
Banned
Not if the caretaker's in the lobby (which is lockable) and can see them.
That's all a well cared for tower/deck access block needs - A decent dedicated caretaker/concierge. I love living in a building that houses others as well - It's almost as though the block itself is somehow a benign guardian looking out for and approving of all our little lives.