Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Preston Bus Station: Keep it or Destroy it?

mlwer30

• Total voters

Firky

The first of the gang
Banned
There's not much good brutalist architecture left in the UK. The Tricorn Centre and Get Carter carpark have long been pulled down and now it looks like it is Preston bus station's turn. Hailed as a triumph when it was built in 1968, Preston bus station now requires 23 million worth of refurbishment - a cost the council says it cannot afford. They're selling it for a pound but are probably not going to find a buyer as it is HUGE!

I Love but I don't remember it looking so slick as this:

Favelado

Half to the Tower, please.
Fuck off Preston and fuck your bus station. Also, I don't care what piece of paper they've thrown at you, you're not a city. Tokyo is a city, Sao Paulo is a city. Preston is a town. A town full of cunts.

Love from your neighbours in Blackpool.

killer b

Minimum Waste / Maximum Joy
It isn't mostly unchanged, its never been refurbished since it was built. The only new bits are the toilets and a few bits round the bus aprons. Otherwise, its pretty much as it was when it was built.

Firky

The first of the gang
Banned
Don't loads of people commit suicide in Blackpool's bus station? Tossing themselves off?

Preston's bus station makes people happy :cool:

Favelado

Half to the Tower, please.
More seriously, it is a decent building. I was last there a year or so ago. Blackpool's bus station is indeed a suicide hot-spot and is hopefully being knocked down soon.

Seems daft to knock Preston's one down.

bi0boy

Power User
Is it pleasant to use on a daily basis though? Surely that's more important for a bus station than it be cooed over by people in the pages of the Guardian.

killer b

Minimum Waste / Maximum Joy
Is it pleasant to use on a daily basis though? Surely that's more important for a bus station than it be cooed over by people in the pages of the Guardian.
in the pub atm so not got time to answer this in detail, but i use it on a daily basis. I'll expand later, but yeah. Its ok, considering.

Firky

The first of the gang
Banned
in the pub atm so not got time to answer this in detail, but i use it on a daily basis. I'll expand later, but yeah. Its ok, considering.
In the pub, talking to online about bus stations, you legend, the epitome of cool :cool:

Frances Lengel

Atrophied Member
Banned
Keep it, keep it ,keep it, keep it. And while we're about it, keep Rochdale bus stn as well

2446009_7a456199.jpg

Another 70's classic about to be latered - and look, what's that orange thing at the top of the car park stairwell? Bichrist it's the old Greater Manchester Transport logo rendered resplendant in orange plastic - Bus stations aren't meant to be pretty, they're just bus stations, but this one is pretty, better that Preston if anything - This sexy baby used to have a pub in it and everything. And they're going to pull it down. Hang your heads.

E2a there are better pics on flickr, but you can't post flickr pics on here can you?