Premier League wants to move some games to Friday night for extra TV cash

Discussion in 'football' started by editor, Dec 31, 2014.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

So glad not to be part of this money grubbing circus that's destroying football for the fans.

2. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

It's a real shame there's no way of, say, watching it all for free, perhaps via the interweb.

J Ed likes this.
  3. quiet guy

quiet guy Bimbling along

How much more money and TV exposure do they need?

4. CosmikRoger

CosmikRoger Well-Known Member

I'd prefer watching football on a Friday night to the lunchtime fixtures on Saturdays and Sundays we get at the moment.

tommers and J Ed like this.
  5. The39thStep

The39thStep Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

Wasn't there a time when some of the league below the premier league were on TV Friday night? I seem to recall they were mainly clubs which had a big fan base playing away ie man city and man city

6. JTG

JTG Angry about not being able to be an astronaut.

Let's play 'spot the people who don't travel away' on this thread then

Dandred likes this.
  7. stavros

I'm not sure devotees to the free market liberalism model have any kind of maximum in that regard, but that's a wider issue than just football.

8. Me76

Me76 Not very good lurker

As someone who is a season ticket holder and goes to all home games, I hate Friday night games. They fuck up the start to my weekend and then the rest of it as I don't have my Saturday football afternoon.

IME the pub experience on a Friday is inferior also. Most pubs, even those that do respect their football customers, don't tend to give a shit on Fridays as they are busy enough already. If you get it on the screen you are lucky. No chance of sound though.

9. JTG

JTG Angry about not being able to be an astronaut.

We played Gateshead at home on the Friday before Christmas thanks to BT Sport. Needless to say Gateshead brought very few supporters down and our own supporters were reduced a bit as well due to Christmas parties etc. Utterly ridiculous.

10. Me76

Me76 Not very good lurker

Friday night is not a night sport was ever meant to be played on. It should be left like that.

Badgers and sealion like this.
  11. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Didn't want to start a complete new thread for this, but looks like Amazon will enter the race for streaming rights in the next round of auctions, that will probably involve the Friday/Monday night games.

As much as Amazon are probably just another evil, I hope they win, and fuck up Sky, or at least give Sky some proper food for thought on how they go about their pricing models for Sky Sports and NOW TV.

Amazon set to bid for Premier League streaming rights

Badgers likes this.
  12. stavros

Hopefully the internet will kill any value for any of corporate behemoths, although logic would dictate that no one would pay Apple or Amazon to download music they could get for free, yet they do.

13. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

The problem with another competitor entering the market is that it will actually mean prices going up rather than coming down for subscribers. Fans who want to watch Premier games on tv will have to have Sky, BT and Amazon, cos the sellers of rights will ensure that there are enough packages that they are all successful.

sealion, Ted Striker and passenger like this.
  14. cybershot

Agreed. The more unaffordable it becomes the more people will get picky. Which should mean price decreases in the long run. Hopefully.

15. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Banned Banned

That obviously assumes all three are successful. We could end up with Sky and Amazon with BT losing out, for example.

I think there has to be a minimum of two companies with the rights though, so one company couldn't buy everything.

16. cybershot

17. binka

binka !!!!!!!!!

Surely not far off the premier league streaming a their games and selling subscriptions like already happens in America.

I currently pay £60 a year for a dodgy IPTV subscription, wouldn't be against paying a little bit more for something official. Would never pay for sky sports or bt sports though