1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Potential redundancy in the offing

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by NoXion, Sep 25, 2017.

1. NoXion

NoXion Give me space communism or give me death

So for the past few months at work the flow of jobs coming in has reduced to a trickle, and in consequence I've spent a lot of time having my hours cut by management as well as finding increasingly inventive ways of wasting time while looking busy. OK, so there have been slow periods before, right? Nothing to worry about.

But it kept dragging on and on. Oh, we'd have a good week or two in a month, but me and my colleagues would keep running out of work. Seems like all that Brexit business has resulted in a weakening of the pound which has caused the parallel distribution of medications to slow down significantly.

So today at work management called a meeting, and announced that they would be getting rid of the night shift. Earlier last week they had been going round asking if we available full time or part time. They also announced that there would be redundancies, although who stays and who goes is apparently unknown at this juncture.

So, redundancy. This is new. For me. If I get shafted I'll have a week's notice as I'm on a zero-hours contract. I suppose this is the point where I ask for tips and advice, and possibly commiserations, should they turn out to be necessary.

2. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

I know its easy to say, but look upon it as an opportunity. I was made redundant twice in 8 months 5 years ago. I retrained and now couldn't be happier doing a job i love.

cupid_stunt and oryx like this.
  3. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

firstly, blargh.

This (from CAB) is probably a good place to start on the whole thing (info is relevant to England - some law is subtly different around the UK, there is a link to their home page if you need to start again)

Employer needs to have a 'fair process' for selecting posts for redundancy - they can't just use it as a way of getting rid of people they don't like / people who are in a particular demographic (former employer of mine more or less tried to get shot of everyone over 40 - a couple of my ex colleagues did get a settlement out of them)

I'm aware that it's illegal to discriminate against part time employees (ACAS page here)

i'm a bit fuzzy on the 'zero hours' thing as it wasn't around in a big way when i was a union rep - you might be eligible for redundancy pay - depends on whether you're a 'worker' or an 'employee' - another ACAS page (aimed more towards employers but may be handy) here

this thing about worker / employee is something that's evolving - it's the line that's been behind recent cases involving uber / deliveroo and the like, and not sure whether there's levels of appeals still to come on them.

and if it comes to it, this is CAB page on benefits. You can 'sign on' when your employment ends (this may be after the last day you work, if you get pay in lieu of notice, or are owed some annual leave) but you don't have to wait until you've run out of money...

best of luck

mauvais, Pickman's model and NoXion like this.
  4. bendeus

bendeus Bellend Tagline Generator

What did you retrain as, 1927? I'm staring down the barrel of redundancy and am both terrified and excited about what the future may hold. All I know is that I don't want to do more of what I've been doing for years (charity management) but beyond that....

5. Pickman's model

Pickman's model The word of Sin is Restriction

That's shit NoXion :mad:

Good luck :)

NoXion and Badgers like this.
  6. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

I got funding from WAG on the ReAct programme. Filled my boots with health & safety courses, then did a PTLLS course so I could train adult learners. I’m freelance and have good months and bad,but overall I get by. Next year is going to be much better as I’ve got morecourses under my belt I can teach and got in with a company that give me more regular work.

If you want to know more about ReAct send me a PM.

equationgirl likes this.