Possible strike at Amazon & boycott - 10?15?-18 July 2018

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by crossthebreeze, Jul 14, 2018.

1. crossthebreeze

crossthebreeze Well-Known Member

I've just seen this on social media. Its seems that there is very likely to be a strike at the Amazon MAD4 logistics centre at San Fernando de Henares in Spain organised by the CGT, CCOO, CCIT, and possibly other unions covering the period around Prime Day - Amazon's big summer promotion, but it seems that there is some sort of co-ordination and organisation happening across Europe so there could be some interesting developments. Article in Spanish (which puts it at 15-17 July), machine translation. The developments have also been picked up by the Yes We Coupon too, who seem to have written a better article than the Independant.

There is also a call to boycott being circulated:

What?
    Don't purchase products from Amazon, or visit the site, especially during the Prime Day sale. You might even cancel your Amazon Prime subscription.

When?
    July 16-18

PRIME DAY: July 16

Or weeks, months... up to you.

Why?
    Warehouse workers in Spain are planning a 72-hour strike to coincide with the Prime Day event, July 16-18.

Amazon warehouse workers have brought attention to the horrendous conditions they must work under, but there has been no change from Amazon itself. This month, surrounding the Prime Day sale event, workers in multiple European countries are striking for better conditions. As consumers, we can show our support for the Amazon workers and demonstrate to Amazon that a change must be made by refusing to give Amazon our business.

Strikes are historically one of workers' strongest forms of negotiating power with their employers. The more people participate in the strike, the more companies are encouraged to change. Our best shot at a real change in Amazon's behavior is to join together with the workers in Spain and all over the world.

Lots on Twitter and other social media, including form GMB union Amazon branch and IWW who are saying the boycott and strike already started on the 10th or 12th July

and a call for a Europe-wide strike at Amazon
    [​IMG]
    List of amazon subsidiaries to also boycott:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  2. a_chap

a_chap When the world came apart, where were you?

Boycott Amazon on July 18th?

I've been boycotting Amazon for years. The cunts.

3. treelover

treelover Well-Known Member

Something to be really considered, they sound like they mean business

crossthebreeze likes this.
  4. spring-peeper

spring-peeper Well-Known Member

"Dear comrades"

<giggles>

5. crossthebreeze

The confusion on dates seems to come from:
    a) the Europe-wide strike call-out for a strike in "the second week of July"
    b) a threatened strike at the Spanish distribution centre for earlier this week that was cancelled for negotiations - though the strike 16-18 July is still on.
    c) There is Prime Week rather than Prime Day in the USA and certain other countries

Spanish union sources are calling for a boycott in support of the strike 16th-18th July inclusive, as is Amazon Strike.

6. Ralph Llama

Ralph Llama ERROR 23 : DEFAULT MODE NETWORK COMPROMISED Banned

https://www.democracynow.org/2018/7/17/headlines

crossthebreeze likes this.
  7. crossthebreeze

Strike is still on in Spain - and apparently a 1 day strike in several locations in Germany, and work to rule in Poland, 3 workers arrested and one injured in police attack on picketers in Spain

Ralph Llama likes this.
  8. existentialist

existentialist Danced on by a twerking bee

I've been boycotting them for years. In fact, the order I placed with them yesterday (in ignorance of the strike) is the first time in well over two years that I've bought anything from them :rolleyes: (battery pack only sourced through amazon :()

a_chap and Badgers like this.
  9. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Couldn't find any other threads specifically discussing Amazon staff so will post this here, finally some good news for those warehouse and courier staff

As an aside I find it quite surprising that majority of Urban over the years have continued to embrace Amazon (myself included) despite their unethical & almost Sports Direct esque treatment of workers.

Amazon raises minimum wage for US and UK employees

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    alcopop, yield, sealion and 1 other person like this.
  10. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes