Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Possible DHFC Western Front Tour - 2021

Blitzwalker

Following on from a recent(ish) conversation with Dulwich Mishi , I have begun to make some very tentative early investigations as to whether there would be sufficient interest amongst our support for a Dulwich Hamlet battlefield tour of the Western Front in the future. As many will doubtless have already started making holiday plans for next year, I think realistically the earliest we could do this would be during the Spring/Summer close season of 2021.

I have already been in touch with Clive Harris of Battle Honour Tours, who are one of the market leaders in this field. Clive himself is a published author and excellent guide, who has led many tours to the Western Front, Gallipoli, Salonika and many other sites. Clive is also a trustee of the Charlton Athletic Museum and leads a similar annual tour for Addicks' fans to pay respects to their war dead - next summer, they are visiting Normandy. Those of you that attended our Football & War event at Champion Hill in March of this year may well have spoken to Clive then.

Those who have read Roger D 's excellent works on our players killed during the Great War will know that many of them lost their lives around Ypres, The Somme and Arras and are either buried or commemorated there.

What Clive and I have in mind is a three night trip, involving one nights stay in Ypres and two nights in Arras. Each day, we would use the players who died as the golden thread to tell the greater story of the war, from 1914 to the end. This would not be a "cemetery crawl" and would be a mixture of walking the ground and of course looking at visiting some of the cemeteries and memorials in order to pay our respects. Clive would also arrange for us to take part in the nightly ceremony at the Menin Gate, where we would be able to lay a wreath to the Dulwich Hamlet men who lost their lives in the Great War.

We would suggest a minimum tour party of 25/maximum 40 and as mentioned earlier, we'd most probably be looking at this taking place during the 2021 close season, or perhaps just before the start of the 21/22 season. This would be a three night trip, involving an early start on the Friday and returning on the Monday, so a long weekend basically.

Clive is currently working on hotels and vehicles so as to give us an indicative price and as soon as I have this, I will post on here.

In the meantime, we now need to know whether the interest is there within the club to do this and what sort of numbers we can get together.

Last edited:

Blitzwalker

OK - I've deliberately left updating this until after Mishi's funeral, as that was far more important. However, as the idea for this tour was pretty much the last conversation that I ever had with him, I feel that we owe it to Mishi to actually get this off the ground for next year.

As it stands, we have two options for this - firstly (my own preferred) is a 3 nights/4 days visit, which would cost around £600 per person - this includes the cost of all coach travel, ferry/tunnel crossing and hotel (B&B) based on twin room sharing (about £130 single room supplement) and of course our guide, who is basically donating his time to us. This would enable us to visit pretty much all of the DHFC players from the Great War and use their stories as the "golden thread" which would tell the wider story of the war as a whole. Obviously, Clive (our guide) and I would work out a proper itinerary that we would advise nearer the time but this would entail visiting, Arras, the Thiepval Memorial and Ypres amongst others - and we would also get the chance to take part in the wreath laying ceremony at the Menin Gate, which is a huge honour.

The cheaper option would be to do a 2 night/3 day trip, which would be roughly £150 cheaper but which would of course, be more rushed and would mean that we would not be able to visit as many places and possibly not take part in the Menin Gate ceremony. We need a minimum of 25 people to make this viable and would have to limit it to 40 people.

So it is crunch time - I've posted this on Moral Victory and Hamlet Historian on FB and will be asking John Lawrence to put something in a future programme but if you would like to come, please let me know - either via here, or via email steve@blitzwalkers.co.uk and we once we have the commitment, we can start planning in earnest and finding a suitable date, although I would anticipate this being in late May, or June of 2021. A firm and final price would be available around 12 months ahead of our departure.

The tour would be organised by Battle Honours Limited Tours, who are market leaders in this area and who are ATOL protected, so all legit and above board. Our guides, Clive Harris and Julian Whippy are both superb at what they do and extremely knowledgeable on the whole connection between footballers/sportsmen at war and have guided similar tours for Charlton Athletic FC and Surrey County Cricket Club players and staff in the past.

keith1

OK - I've deliberately left updating this until after Mishi's funeral, as that was far more important. However, as the idea for this tour was pretty much the last conversation that I ever had with him, I feel that we owe it to Mishi to actually get this off the ground for next year.

As it stands, we have two options for this - firstly (my own preferred) is a 3 nights/4 days visit, which would cost around £600 per person - this includes the cost of all coach travel, ferry/tunnel crossing and hotel (B&B) based on twin room sharing (about £130 single room supplement) and of course our guide, who is basically donating his time to us. This would enable us to visit pretty much all of the DHFC players from the Great War and use their stories as the "golden thread" which would tell the wider story of the war as a whole. Obviously, Clive (our guide) and I would work out a proper itinerary that we would advise nearer the time but this would entail visiting, Arras, the Thiepval Memorial and Ypres amongst others - and we would also get the chance to take part in the wreath laying ceremony at the Menin Gate, which is a huge honour.

The cheaper option would be to do a 2 night/3 day trip, which would be roughly £150 cheaper but which would of course, be more rushed and would mean that we would not be able to visit as many places and possibly not take part in the Menin Gate ceremony. We need a minimum of 25 people to make this viable and would have to limit it to 40 people.

So it is crunch time - I've posted this on Moral Victory and Hamlet Historian on FB and will be asking John Lawrence to put something in a future programme but if you would like to come, please let me know - either via here, or via email steve@blitzwalkers.co.uk and we once we have the commitment, we can start planning in earnest and finding a suitable date, although I would anticipate this being in late May, or June of 2021. A firm and final price would be available around 12 months ahead of our departure.

The tour would be organised by Battle Honours Limited Tours, who are market leaders in this area and who are ATOL protected, so all legit and above board. Our guides, Clive Harris and Julian Whippy are both superb at what they do and extremely knowledgeable on the whole connection between footballers/sportsmen at war and have guided similar tours for Charlton Athletic FC and Surrey County Cricket Club players and staff in the past.
Definitely interested. Please keep me posted'