Portraits

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by Firky, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Firky

Firky The first of the gang Banned

2. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards 1967 Maserati Mistral.

Just posted a link to this in 'Music'. Fucking lovely portrait IMO.

[​IMG]

3. Firky

is that pj harvey?

4. Stanley Edwards

Yep. She makes my heart bleed :)

5. Firky

Seen her live a couple of times. She's pretty good - good enough for Thom Yorke :)

6. boskysquelch

boskysquelch Banned Banned

7. cesare

cesare don't mourn, organise!

I really like that shot

8. boskysquelch

glad you do and ta for saying so. :)

another from the same

[​IMG]

...and then there are tons more but as usual...I take portraits...peeeps demand the files and then look at them and think " Oh is that it?"...so not many of the sitters see the actual finished article...fffkk'em!!1 :D

Cheers Stanley...ta for getting Me to meet my 2 images a day editing goal...I can go and download a load of movies now and not feel guilty fer doin' sod'all agin. :cool:

9. Stanley Edwards

You're very welcome :D

Beautiful work there. Really fresh.

10. cesare

I was trying to look at the rest bosky but can only get as far as your front page (as usual ;) :D )

Cheers for posting those though.

11. boskysquelch

I am getting near to doing something...givee me a couple more years and I'll do it proper eh? :rolleyes: ... I only spent 5 mins last night throwing that up to give the "kids"(pee_pee & fArty) something else to pick-on....I'm sure they'll be along drekkers..;)

@Stanley...ta I like " Really fresh." :cool:

12. Robster970

Robster970 Pay homage to Global Bob

that's very nice old chap. you should do more of your portraits. we all know you can really.......

13. cesare

Well it is his thread :D I got quite excited seeing that front page though, raised all me expectations it did! Are you going to enter poor old pisces in the photocomp ? (you might have done already but I'm getting a bit hacked with the thread cos flickr's taking so long to load atm).

14. Stanley Edwards

You're in a league all of your own here Boskysquelch. This isn't just 'Fresh', it's stunningly original and very, very beautiful. My word may not count for much, but I'm constantly bemoaning the fact that I rarely see genuinely new and good photography. This hits the spot for me so well. It's 2007 portraiture for me. I love it. You are a photographic genius :cool:

[​IMG]

15. Firky

Scooby :cool:

Scary how much she looks like you. Poor girl :(

:p

16. trashpony

trashpony Ovaries and tings

Blimey you're talented bosky :)

17. boskysquelch

I wish that she were...but that way madness lies...she ain't my kin bwoi! :D and the fact was it took me over 6 months of pestering to get her to sit still for five minutes for me...she's a little gem of a young lady.

Awwwr thankyou very much folks you made my toothache hurt more nicely with grinnage. :cool:

I've got to do the others of that shoot so cheers for the encouragement...I'll show you them when I've finished proper. :)

18. Paul Russell

Paul Russell Psychogeographer

I've seen her about and about in Dorset a few times. Got a hip shot of the back of her head somewhere (like wow).

Funny really, I take loads of pictures of strangers but can't do it for famous people cos you'll just like a tosser/paparazzo (instead of a just a weirdo...)

19. alef

alef Needs to take more photos

My taste is for more naturalistic portraits. Studio settings and flashes tend to make it all look too plastic for me. Robster has done some really lovely portraits, though I also agree with others that squelch has massive talent in this dept...

20. Firky

I think it isn't so much Squelch's photographic skills but rather his lovely personality that lets him take such good shots. If he was a cantankerous stoner propelled by red wine and totalist angels, then I think the portraits would be different :D

21. Robster970

Robster970 Pay homage to Global Bob

That's praise indeed from the man whose has got a great set of portraits

http://www.flickr.com/photos/_alef_/sets/72157594433783636/

22. Tankus

Tankus living someone else's dream.

keithy likes this.
  23. Mr.Bishie

Mr.Bishie BeRightOn

10 year old bump?

24. Stanley Edwards

10 Years! I miss seeing boskysquelch's work here. It was a very different forum 10 years ago. I was obviously a little under the influence when posting here then (am I ever not?). But, it inspired me to go and take a portrait today, and consider what makes a good portrait. Very low-tech; sub €100 smartphone, but a whole city of people to choose from.

Portrait first, then a bit of background followed by a street portrait from over 10 years ago.

adolfo.jpg

Sometimes the person makes the portrait - not the photographer.

25. Stanley Edwards

That's my mate Adolfo. A very interesting guy. Legendary for his Manhattan 'Magic Fountain' parties, now resident in Lisbon. We meet most mornings at a regular terrace for tea, or coffee. Born in Mozambique, moved to South Africa before spending most of his life in New York. He has been living in Lisbon 10+ years now.

Here is his tree...

tree.jpg

Not sure how much this portrait is about Adolfo, or about me (the photographer). I've tried to include some 'extras' in the portrait. The decorative stick in his coffee cup is for holding cinnamon. Everything made from recycled bits. He makes them as gifts for friends. Those and bracelets, necklaces etc. In NY he used to collect worn pieces of glass from the beaches. We shared a joke about glass currency - how the red pieces are worth more than the blue which are worth more than the green which are worth more than the white. Street peoples diamonds! :D

26. Stanley Edwards

Not much more than a snap from me. Composition, and kind light is my only input.

---------------//

10+ years ago...
    kids.jpg
    Different, but still a street portrait with no artificial lighting, and only making use of the bright light of Andalucia in August bouncing off whitewashed walls.

The Kids from Pozo Alcon. 2004

I never photograph people without their permission. Portraits is all about getting to know people for me.

Anyway... hopefully reignited a bit of interest in portraits here on U75. We can all do them these days.